Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default strange noise

So Amber is heading to the east coast for a few weeks, and driving the 80 with our 2 girls. Yes, she is crazy, but this is not about that. I am doing a ton of maintenance to prepare her 80 for the trip, and I am stuck figuring out a front end noise. At very low speeds, under 10mph, the front wheels make a light screeching scraping sound, almost like the brake pads are worn out, but I pulled both front wheels and the pads are good. Any clues as to what may be going on? Worst case, I can send her in my 80, but with bigger tires and a lift will cause worse gas mileage, and also means no wheeling for me while she is gone! (other than the 40's only run...)

Thanks all!

Timm
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 07-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

Going straight, does the noise change or go away if you turn the wheel gently to one or both sides? If it truly sounds like brake sounds that might indicate the wheel bearings are loose, letting the rotor move a little between the pads.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

If you push on the brake peddle barely does the sound go away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 07-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Going straight, does the noise change or go away if you turn the wheel gently to one or both sides? If it truly sounds like brake sounds that might indicate the wheel bearings are loose, letting the rotor move a little between the pads.
Not sure, will check tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
If you push on the brake peddle barely does the sound go away?
The brake pedal seems to not affect the noise at all
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
Old 07-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Are there any markings on the rotor itself that would indicate the pad is rubbing in a non-uniform way? Does the sound increase/decrease with speed?

I like Dave's wheel bearing guess, or in my case a similar noise was a seized caliper piston rubbing on the rotor.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Rising Sun Commander

How about a bent dust shield? A rock between the rotor and dust shield?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Jack up all 4 corners and have her go 10mph while your under it listening!!
It might be a backing plate. If its rotational like A wheel bearing The noise will increase with speed and typically do it all the time. Not just at 10. Same with backing plate. And knowing women it's been doing this for months. And she never said anything
Old 07-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

ok, had some time to work on it last night, still not sure what is going on

took some time to drive it, and the noise is more like a squeaky spring than anything at slow speeds. from 5-15mph is becomes a rotational sound that increases with speed, and is faster than the wheels, so I am leaning towards a driveshaft issue.

jacked up the front end, did the wheel bearing test (grabeed it at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and pushed and pulled) and there was little to no movement. I spun the wheels as quick as I could, and there was NO noise anywhere. I pulled the wheels and looked at the brakes again, and all looked good. spun the wheels again and listened very closely to the brake pads and barely heard anything at all.

lubed up both driveshafts, did not seem to affect the noise at all. except the noise is not here in reverse, or is much much quieter. not sure if this happened because of the driveshaft lube or not, Amber said she first noticed the noise in reverse.

so now what? anybody had a squeaky driveshaft before? (yeah, that will end up in a sig somewhere...) I might get a center diff switch from Slee and then yank the front driveshaft to see if it is the issue. might not be a bad idea to leave it off anyway if she is going to be putting 4000+ miles on the truck in the next month...

thanks everyone...
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
Old 07-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

jack up all 4 tires off the ground, and have her drive 5-15 mph and you crawl under the car listening for the noise. youll find it !!!!! we do this at work all the time
Old 07-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
jack up all 4 tires off the ground, and have her drive 5-15 mph and you crawl under the car listening for the noise. youll find it !!!!! we do this at work all the time
Man, that scares me to death. I bet you guys have a lift that would prevent the truck from falling no matter what. Jack stands don't seem quite as reliable, especially when you're putting all that torque on them.

Another thought: pull 1 driveshaft, engage center diff, drive it. Still hear the noise? Put the first one back in, pull the second one. If the noise goes away, you have found the culprit.
1996 FZJ80 Ě TLCA #4189 Ě WěRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers Ě my Rising Sun bio Ě Facebook Ě Twitter Ě Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.