Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Banned

Default Why does it matter/

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
why does any of this even matter?
J Kimmel, this matters because the Toyota FSM tells owners and mechanics alike to use a form of grease that is incompatible with what the vehicle is filled up with,

When a lithium based grease is introduced to this component a chemical reaction occurs between the grease bases,
This allows the oil that is mixed into grease to thin out, into a viscosity of a gear oil,
Then oil leaks develop at the wiper seal
The problem is generally mis diagnosed as axle seal failure, the whole thing gets torn back down and the only reason for this is because of introducing the incorrect form of grease.

If the owner and or mechanic is unaware of the incompatible grease, the problem may re-occur if the entire assembly and all components are not cleaned very well,.

So for this axle on a Land crusier it is better to leave it alone, they will last many years, if they are left alone,
30 years is common

While this component on these rigs has the potential of lasting even longer than 30 years, when you use what is recommended in the Toyota FSM it turns some thing that is described as" Practically maintance free" in to a regular old piece of crap that needs to be serviced regularly

That is why it matters, and I feel you guys should know this , as to far as why Toyota says to use a incompatible grease, ask them, they wont tell me
When I did I was told there was a "privacy act"

I have taken quite a bit a flack from all sorts of folks on this subject, but I understand and I dont care, this subject has been intentionally misdirected from the Auto mobile manufactures, including Domestic manufactures,

As soon as you all stop with the silly comments you will find me to be very polite and a good source of info on this subject,
But as I stated before stop looking at what Toyota is telling you,and look at this axle and study what they did,
What they did was fill it with a semi fluid grease, all of the improvements that Toyota made to this replicated axle where to contain a semi fluid grease,

There is no advantage to use a #2 grease in this application, none,
Old 07-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Rising Sun member

Tranny Frank,

Why don't you go away?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Banned

Default Toyota experts

Ok I sent Mark a few emails, see what he thinks

I am hoping that he has a bit more informed answer that other Toyota experts have told me

Your question was

This question is for Ted Ritter or any other Toyota tech, What type of semi-fluid lube is used for initail fill for the Toyota straight axle?(steering knuckle) from what I have gathered it is not a #2 lithium based grease
this semi fluid lube is a #0 soda or sodium based lube.from all that I have compiled. since its obvious this design is meant for a fluid type lube Why does the FSM indicate to use a #2 thick grease?? , when they are filled with a semi fluid that gets misdiagnosed as gear oil contaimination because poor Toyota folks simply dont know any better and dont know this form of lube exists,

"But this is outside of my expertise."

Expert: Ted Ritter
Edit/Delete Message
Old 07-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Banned

Default I will

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Tranny Frank,

Why don't you go away?
I will go away, as soon as you all can get Toyota to sell you the correct form of grease or at least tell you what it is compatible with,or I will settle for a big name in the after market to look into this,

I will tell you who I have already asked,

Everybody,

sound fair?

This situation causes problems between mechanics and owners of these vehicles,
Remember I am the messenger , while you dont like me, understandable
dont care. just dont like BS plain and simple
Old 07-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranny Frank View Post

sound fair?
NO!!! one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 07-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Schlegs View Post
That's some heavy ****.....pretty cool Doctor

97 LX450
Old 07-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Banned

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Schlegs View Post
so your happy being hosed??
what do they call that, stockholm syndrome or something like that, sad, very sad
Old 07-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Hey Francis,

Stockholm syndrome is positive feelings towards captors that appear irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims. We are not in danger!! Go save a bear cub, instead.

However, . . . no axle will live without being serviced for 30 years plain and simple. Your mechanic A and B is worthless. Those bad boys only fit one way in the knuckle, you can't rotate them. The bolt pattern will not allow it, unless you are able to bend spoons with your mind as well. Further all the goop you are attempting to sell will pee right out of the knuckle.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 07-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Are you selling something? This is chit Chat, Not Vendor, Not Tech. This conversation belongs elsewhere. I don't enjoy the name calling and bashing. Not what this site is about. Not appropriate IMO.

Frank, I will extend an invitation to you to attend a club event or a meeting. Be a supporting vendor if you like and donate some of your product for one of our raffles. You will find that most of us are nice folks and don't care to argue about what lube you put where.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Go to the "bob is the oil guy" grease section and see what they have to say. Post up the results or a link to the thread on what happens.
You want a different opinion, get some of these people on board. Be careful because you can not be seen as selling a product.

Present facts and information that can be backed up(which so far(IMHO) may be hard for you).
Closed Thread