Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Kevin, to be clear. I agree with your recommendation on Castor correction and shocks. I Bet Corbet bought a kit so hopefully that all came with it

Extending Brake lines is a good idea and Extending Diff Breathers and the tranny/tcase breathers is a good idea so you don't suck water into your junk, not related to a 2.5" lift. Course you do put more "POWER" into your offroading than most so you might have a different perspective

Long day, so my other post may have come off to harsh.
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 07-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'm just trying to offer the lad info so he don't break on the trail. I like to call it midwest wheeling - but I am learning the finer art of "crawling." I have ARB lockers on my to do list you know. Hulk informs me these will add to the appearance of finesse. No blood not foul, we all have days like that once and a while.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 07-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yes, I aquired a complete kit including the steering dampner, caster correction bushings, shocks, as well as the springs.

I did not mention the others as I did not have any questions regarding their installation

I will address brake lines and the such after installing the lift if needed.

I'm really looking forward to getting this installed. My front axle currently sits less than 1" off the bumpstops at rest, about 2" on the rear. Makes for an unpleasant ride around town. The springs I got are rated for an extra 242lbs front and 660lbs rear over stock. Given the extra weight on my truck I feel this will bring me back closer to stock ride quality with some extra clearance.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 07-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Back to the original question, I just use a 4' breaker bar to get the spring over the lip and then kick it into place.

It saves you a ton of time trying to get that last inch of droop if you need it. A long crowbar can work as well.

Spring compressors are an incredible waste of time for the remote chance you may kill yourself wasting that time
Old 07-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Corbet - When Ige and I did my lift - she pulled out the cherry picker and lifted each corner individually. Never took a tire off - it was slick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 07-26-2010, 12:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
The springs I got are rated for an extra 242lbs front and 660lbs rear over stock. Given the extra weight on my truck I feel this will bring me back closer to stock ride quality with some extra clearance.
Corbet...I can't remember what all you have hanging off the front, and rear, or your truck but hopefully you have an ARB/Slee bumper and winch up front and rear bumper and lots of weight in the back to bring that sucker down

Is the Ironman lift similar to OME in that you get X amount of lift based on loading up the springs as suggested? Just asking 'cuz when I installed the OME heavy lift I got a fair bit more than the 2.5" because I wasn't at the recommended weight rating of the springs yet.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 07-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Corbet...I can't remember what all you have hanging off the front, and rear, or your truck but hopefully you have an ARB/Slee bumper and winch up front and rear bumper and lots of weight in the back to bring that sucker down

Is the Ironman lift similar to OME in that you get X amount of lift based on loading up the springs as suggested? Just asking 'cuz when I installed the OME heavy lift I got a fair bit more than the 2.5" because I wasn't at the recommended weight rating of the springs yet.
I'm missing the rear bumper for now but hopefully by spring no longer. I. regularly exceed 6000lbs, daily driving, on the scale so I think I have the weight for these springs. I packed as light as possible for CM10 and weighed in at 6680 as I left town. I basically brought my backpacking equipment for the most part. When I add the rest of the family I figure 7000+ is just around the corner.

Yes, the Iron Man lifts are like OME in that you should get x amount of lift based on weight of your truck. I figure I will net 3" due to how much my OEM springs are sagging.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Springs are in but looks like I need to swap them right to left. I'm leaning towars the drivers side about 1"

Before & After shots
Attached Images

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Need to pick up a pickel fork tomorrow to install the steering dampener and then deal with this lower rear shock mount. PO had new rear shocks istalled at one time. Mechanic must have lost the OEM bolt and the one he replaced it with was not up to spec. Wife always asks me why I hate having other people work on my truck. This is a perfect example.

I plan a full write up and review to follow on MUD once completed. Eli from Camel 4x4 requested so as this is the kit that was raffled at CM10.
Attached Images

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Looking good Corbet