Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 08-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalFJ60 View Post
man...that canon works well, eh? NICE PICS!!!!!
Canon?!?! I think the pic of Martin and his Dad is from his camera. Most of the rest are mine I believe....

Actually it was a Nikon D700 with mostly a 70-200mm 2.8f VR lens, the other lens was a 28-200 3.5f for the wide angles.

Color and sharpness were set on the camera, what Martin got from me was right out of the camera...don't know if he processed them or not.
Rui
K0RUI
Old 08-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFA FJ40 View Post
Actually it was a Nikon D700 with mostly a 70-200mm 2.8f VR lens, the other lens was a 28-200 3.5f for the wide angles.

Color and sharpness were set on the camera, what Martin got from me was right out of the camera...don't know if he processed them or not.
Rui
I was pretty sure that you were shooting a Nikon D700, same as you were last year.

Have you adjusted the Color Mode in the camera? I don't have my D200 in front of me, but I seem to recall there were 3 Color Modes, labeled I, II, and III. On the D200, there is also Color Saturation and Tone Compensation settings. I'm betting the D700 has similar settings. What are yours set at? I'd love to try to reproduce some of your images.

The 70-200mm 2.8f VR lens is a super sweet lens (wish I had one!), but I bet I still wouldn't get those rich images without some color setting adjustments.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

I should have stated that more clearly I guess. Pics are not mine, I just posted them. (and no post processing). Thanks again Rui!

I didn't even get a chance to use my new camera on the run, but I sure was glad others got such good pics.

Regarding the vapor lock issue; I'm not sure. I ran those hills no problem two weeks ago (and last year), but this time I vapor locked. I usually run high octane, but that day I ran 85... Only difference I can think of. I feel like my carb and 2F are running great and haven't had any issues lately.

'85 FJ60
Old 08-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
Could be. On the other hand it was a relatively cool day, especially on top of the passes it was down right cold. We were all pretty much using the same type of fuel, why then did many of the mechnically pumped, carbbed vehicles never skip a beat?

Several of the "vapor lock" issues I saw appeared to actually be engines loading up from being too rich. That could be due to a carb needing rebuilt, floats too high, sea level jets at high elevation, ignition timing not set for high elevation, etc. All of those things are amplified at elevation and we were running between 11,000 and 12,600 most of the day.
There was no question that Bob (blue topless rig with repeated idling problems) had fuel starvation. He had an odd, but effective way of fixing it. He would put his glove over the air horn as if it were a choke while his buddy cranked the engine over. When it would catch, he would take it off, it would start to stall, he'd put it back on, repeat until it would run without the glove. He claimed the vacuum of choking the air horn would "pull" the fuel into the carb. I would speculate that he used that method instead of the regular choke because with the regular choke, the vacuum breaker opens the butterfly as soon as the engine catches, which in his case would have made it stall.

I think he had some kind of carb issue. The carb looked like it had been recently rebuilt, and the pump was nearly-new kyosan-denki from a parts store. It is unknown whether the pump may have been faulty, or the fellow had some kind of other fault (filter?). Except the thing ran fine when he didn't have to idle on an incline for very long. I kind of kept him close to me in case I needed to strap him up the hill. In fact I offered a strap several times but he didn't want it.

I thought it was interesting that the guy with Multi-port injection on his V8 was also having fuel delivery issues, but that may have been a faulty pump. My understanding is that multi-port requires higher pressure than TBI.

In any case, the items Randy mentions at the end of his post are frequently contributors to problems, and are certainly exacerbated at high elevations. Again, the definition of boiling is the temperature at which the liquid's vapor pressure equals the ambient pressure. Thus, as you gain elevation, the temperature at which the liquid boils becomes lower and lower. And to make it worse, on an incline you lower the ambient pressure in the plumbing between the tank and the pump because it has to "suck uphill", so the boiling point of the fuel is lower on an incline than on the level.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 08-03-2010, 03:37 PM

Good stuff everyone! .................. Really jealous.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I was pretty sure that you were shooting a Nikon D700, same as you were last year.

Have you adjusted the Color Mode in the camera? I don't have my D200 in front of me, but I seem to recall there were 3 Color Modes, labeled I, II, and III. On the D200, there is also Color Saturation and Tone Compensation settings. I'm betting the D700 has similar settings. What are yours set at? I'd love to try to reproduce some of your images.

The 70-200mm 2.8f VR lens is a super sweet lens (wish I had one!), but I bet I still wouldn't get those rich images without some color setting adjustments.
I will post my settings for the D700, I did tweak it a little bit, the new firmware for the camera made it better for tweaking...might wana check if you have the latest firmware on yours. The 70-200mm VR lens is tack sharp, you can tell on that mountain goat...

I also took a pic that Martin did not post (don't know if he is gona use it) of two marmots on the rocks and in the far background you can see the FJ40's on the trail...it's kinda neat...if Martin is not going to use it I can post it here....
K0RUI
Old 08-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
...new firmware for the camera made it better for tweaking...might wana check if you have the latest firmware on yours.
Awesome. Thanks for the tip. I will check it out.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I also took a pic that Martin did not post (don't know if he is gona use it) of two marmots on the rocks and in the far background you can see the FJ40's on the trail...it's kinda neat...if Martin is not going to use it I can post it here....
That IS a great pic. I was hoping to use it in the TT article.

'85 FJ60
Old 08-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

Lenses make a world of difference. You may not think so but they do. Some can be had in the camera or on the puter but you cant make up for sharpness and contrast from the start with the lens. When people ask me what to buy i tell them to get the lower cost body and save for the lenses. the glass is what makes the images not the body or the computer. sure you can play later but better to have an image the is good to start with. When i started shooting weddings and such i had the generic canon usm lenses and they worked great. But later when i got a few L lenses i compared and you can see the difference in the prints. my .02

nice shots guys.
TLCA #19056
08 TT FJC
82 Scrambler (Scraps)
81 Scrambler (Sassy)
07.5 Dodge Ram 2500
69 Maro... next project when the Jeeps get done.....
Old 08-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
That IS a great pic. I was hoping to use it in the TT article.
No worries...use it!!! The folks here will just have to wait to see it
K0RUI