Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 08-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

On the vapor lock thing, I was wondering about the quality and octane of the fuel myself. I only run the higher octane fuels in mine and that's what I was on Saturday too, with no problems at all. What octane were the vapor lock 'victims' using? Would be nice if the fix was as simple as using higher octanes! Is there an additive we could/should use to prevent 'the vapors'?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Wincher

I use the lowest octane I can find, I ran fine saturday and have been running fine since I have had 40.
K0RUI
Old 08-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Regarding the vapor lock issue; I'm not sure. I ran those hills no problem two weeks ago (and last year), but this time I vapor locked. I usually run high octane, but that day I ran 85... Only difference I can think of. I feel like my carb and 2F are running great and haven't had any issues lately.
The higher the octane, the lower the vapor pressure and less likelihood of pre-ignition or vapor lock. I didn't want to hurt people's brains with the long explanation, but I already did. Suffice to say that gasoline formulation is a mixture of different hydrocarbons, generally C4 through C12. The fewer carbons atoms, the lighter and more volatile it is, and more susceptible to vapor lock.

This might be a teaching opportunity: If you are planning a run to high elevations in the summer, it might help to fill up with "premium" to avoid vapor lock.

Obviously the sample size is very small (4 rigs out of 20 had issues, including one with FI), but it might be an interesting experiment if we had all carb'd rigs fill up with premium next year, or our next high elevation run, and see if we have as many vapor lock issues or not.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 08-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Rising Sun member

Or all fill up with low grade and see if the problem repeats itself
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 08-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Wincher

I dug out my carb fan from my toy box and I may also get the intake back on up front to find out if cooler air intake works better. Maybe a combination of these two and higher octane might help.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ40zen View Post
I dug out my carb fan from my toy box and I may also get the intake back on up front to find out if cooler air intake works better. Maybe a combination of these two and higher octane might help.
I desmoged my 40 and made sure I kept the sensor for the carb fan. I failed to mention that I still have my carb fan and run low octane fuel...it has been solid for me...maybe if I did not have the fan I might have been in the same boat as the other 4 40's.
K0RUI
Old 08-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Rock Stacker

In the early hours of the trip I too thought I was having vapor lock issues. As the day went on I realized that I was actually having problems with flooding rather than starving. My carb kept "loading up" as Randy called it and I couldn't figure out why, others commented on how it seemed to be running too rich. Whenever I had to stop my engine would stall and I'd crank and crank until it would fire and I could get moving again. As long as I was moving it would run OK.
When I got so frustrated and decided to head for home (the first time) before climbing up to Wise Mountain I decided to fool with the carb a bit. I lowered the float after noticing fuel pouring out of the carb. I hoped that the float was set to high and causing the flooding. I was able to get up to the cabin in one try without stalling out. Once on top and sitting back in line the flooding still happened and I didn't want to try the steep climb to the ridge. I decided I was done and heading back down. Well a little more tweaking and I got it running again. I inadvertently stayed way behind the group and was able to keep moving without problems until I had to stop again.
I ultimately made it back fairly easily to Jefferson since we moved so quickly back. After airing up I tried to get on to 285 and stalled again in front of Martin. Got it started and drove without issue to Conifer for dinner. After dinner, more tweaking, got it running smoth and drove on into Denver. It stalled at every stop I made back to the house once I got into town.
I tore off the float bowl when I got home and checked the needle and seat to see if it was stuck, that was my last hope of trying to figure out what was happening. No luck, the needle moved freely. I replaced it anyway with a new one I had on hand.
After doing some searching of the world wide web I now think that the O-ring around the needle valve wasn't fitting well enough to seal. What I found said that it is a common occurence on vehicles that sit for long periods of time.

I'll run it a little bit this week and see if that solves my problems. Thanks for listening and being patient with me on the trail.

Oh yeah, I'm running a 350 CFM Holley 2300 carb on a 2F. I've got all of the goodies installed in the carb that Downey says will help off road, and I think they do.

Thanks again Martin for planning and pre-runnning the trail. I think we all enjoyed it.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:09 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Does the carb fan really do that much for you while driving? I had always thought it was more for cooling the carb down after you shut the engine off, that's why it's supposed to run for another minute or so.

And fun video AFA, had to wait until last night at home to watch it, but that camera's pretty impressive.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Does the carb fan really do that much for you while driving? I had always thought it was more for cooling the carb down after you shut the engine off, that's why it's supposed to run for another minute or so.

And fun video AFA, had to wait until last night at home to watch it, but that camera's pretty impressive.
Thanks for kudos on the Vid, it was my first with that cam.

I have an 1982 FJ40, my carb fan runs while I am driving, I can hear it while I'm idling sometimes. When I desmoged the rig, I made sure to keep the sensor that was attached to another piece of desmog equipment, I placed it relatively close to its original location (facing the exhaust manifold). All I can say is that I did not vapor lock on the trail and have never vapor locked, I have used low octane gas since I got the rig in mid 2009, the fan puts out plenty of air directly on the carb...don't know how well it works, but I doubt the Toyota engineers put a fan there just for visual aesthetics, they must have had some data feedback to come up with an idea of putting a carb fan. My 2 cents...
K0RUI
Old 08-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Obviously the sample size is very small (4 rigs out of 20 had issues, including one with FI), but it might be an interesting experiment if we had all carb'd rigs fill up with premium next year, or our next high elevation run, and see if we have as many vapor lock issues or not.
I had a great run.

Thanks Martin, for putting it together. Thanks Randy and Steve for your help on the trail and thanks for all the rigs behind me for your patience.

I know what my vapor lock issues are with the FI, too much heat. I need to reroute my fuel lines to the back of the intake but that costs $$$'s.

Thanks again!!