Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Wincher

Default Titling

I'm thinking forward to the titling process for my aforementioned 72 FJ40. I bought it 4 yrs ago w/o the title. PO indicated that he had it titled at one time as a collector vehicle but he could not find any paperwork. I'm fairly certain he was truthful.

Anyways, I went down to the DMV and understand the process but I have a couple of questions maybe someone that has been through this can help me with.

1. Is there any way of finding out who hold the current title without going through the DMV?
2. I need a certified VIN inspection and there are only 3 places listed in the DMV paperwork in the Denver area that do this. To save me the hassle of drving it or towing it down there, is it possible to have an officer drop by the house to do it? I have heard that they do this, but the DMV instructions are pretty specific about taking it down to one of these places.

Thanks.
________
drug testing kit

Last edited by Red72FJ40; 01-21-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:48 PM

1. Not that I know of. After X ( I want to say 7) amount of years, they purge the title out of the system. If that is the case with yours, it would be easier and cheaper to go through a title service. I Bonded for a title the DMV way once. And did the title service personally 3 times, and with others 4 times.
2. I had colorado state patrol do my vins 4 times at the house. Sheriff can do it to.

This was all when I lived in CO

1996 FZJ80
Old 04-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

easiest way is for the p.o. to apply for a lost title and sign it over to you (make sure he signs current date so you don't have to pay extra fees for not having it titled to you four years ago)
ige tlca #1431
Old 04-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

On #2 yes...

In Douglas County the "procedure" is you get the paperwork needed for the officer to fill out. Call the non-emergency line for the county, tell them you need an officer to do a VIN inspection/certification, and then they will have an officer stop by when available. Aside from having to wait around most of the day just in case the officer stops by it was easy. Had to do that ~5 yrs ago when I bought my 40 and I believe it is a requirement for any out of state vehicle purchases.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Wincher

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely call the county and get a sheriff to do the VIN inspection.
________
screplays

Last edited by Red72FJ40; 01-21-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahi View Post
1. Not that I know of. After X ( I want to say 7) amount of years, they purge the title out of the system. If that is the case with yours, it would be easier and cheaper to go through a title service. I Bonded for a title the DMV way once. And did the title service personally 3 times, and with others 4 times.
2. I had colorado state patrol do my vins 4 times at the house. Sheriff can do it to.

This was all when I lived in CO
Do you remember what title service you used?
________
volcano vaporizer review

Old 04-15-2010, 03:29 PM

International Title Service based out of Nevada. www.its-titles.com The way it works is, you sell the vehicle to them on paper, they register it in a state that doesn't issue titles for older vehicles, than sell it back to you on paper, and include the registration from the other state. The DMV has to accept these, because if you were to move from such a state, you wouldnt have a title. I guess if you had a friend in a state like this, you could accomplish the same thing. It cost $125 I think, but I just went to the site and it says to call for a quote.

edit: looks like its $275 now. But when I bonded through the state, I had to buy a surety bond - $150 then had to pay all the state fees, then had to wait 5 months. They rejected it once because they weren't clear on the background story of where I got the truck from, and I had to send a certified letter to the last known owner, and wait for that to be returned. If the person you bought it from actually titled it in their name ever, like nuclearlemon said that would be the easiest way out. But if not, title service is the way to go.

1996 FZJ80
Old 04-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Wincher

Thanks for the info.

Just just in from the "Too Good to be True" file:

Just got off of the phone with them. Things have definitely changed in the last year. They said that the states they have been able to do their transactions through have been slowly disappearing. They were down to three last year, and now only one (not sure which). He said that this was due to new Homeland Security restrictions. Anyway, this one last state charges sales tax so I would have to pay sales tax based on the average value of a 1972 Toyota FJ40 which he said the state values at $14,900!!!!! He said a primo cruiser would be valued at $21,800, and a junker at $6,500. Unbelievable. I paid $600.00 but I guess that does not matter. Total fees were over $1200.00. Yikes.

You were real fortunate to get yours done when you did.

BTW, I tried to contact the P.O. but apparently he has gone underground!

Guess it back to the DMV for me.
________
jailbreak

Old 04-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

so you don't have a title for it? oh man.. good luck with that
TLCA#4180
Old 04-15-2010, 04:57 PM

Oh, that sucks. I'm pretty sure mine were done through Alabama, any friends down there? Be really friendly to your DMV agent, try to find the smallest office you can, and use the same person each time you go in. unless things have changed, you have to write out a story on where you got the vehicle from and why it doesn't have a title, so be really clear and if your dmv agent is nice, ask for advice. I guess the first step is get the vin inspection done.

1996 FZJ80