Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Wincher

Default fuel flow problems... 74 FJ40 F eng, weber

ay carumba! the demon of fuel flow is visited upon me...

truck acts like it is running out of gas... getting worse. stalling.

new fuel filter, noticed not much gas in the line.
hooked up the guage and bounces between 1 and 2-3 lbs of pressure... not enough! shouldn't i be reading 7 lbs on this old tub?

Now, how do i know if the pump is bad? I've seen advice on "blowing out" the lines... I have a small compressor for tires, could hook up a regulator on that.

If I blow the line before the pump back to the tank, can I do damage with too much pressure?
Anyone "snake" these out with anything? what works best?

Are these old mechanical pumps servicable? Can I replace a diaphragm in there?
the overall problem gets' worse as it heats up. read where someone had a pinhole in the diaphragm that got worse with heat.

I am harbor freights new best friend. hope these chinese tools work a few times at least (pressure guage, timing light, rpm, etc.)

Thanks,
Doug
Old 08-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator1 View Post
If I blow the line before the pump back to the tank, can I do damage with too much pressure?
No, Ive done this before on mine using 100 psi, just make sure your gas cap is removed. Shoot the air in right before the fuel filter back towards the tank.

If there is an indication of a blockage that the air doesn't clear, disconnect the rubber portion of the fuel line between the metal lines and the tank. Hit it with air again at the same place, if it still acts blocked then the obstruction is in the short metal portion of the line. Check that for kinked or crushed spots or replace it. If the metal line is clear then just replace the rubber hose from that point to the tank. Hit it with air again, if its still blocked the obstruction is in the tank.

Chances are it's just a bad fuel pump. You can buy these new from NAPA and other parts places for about $60, probably easier to replace it than to rebuild the old one.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 08-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Wincher

thanks Randy, will try w my compressor. See you this weekend!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Wincher

blew out the lines, more importantly put in new fuel pump from Napa $74 and all is right with the world!!

Now to get the carb adjusted/ timing set up!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Congrats on getting it resolved so quickly

When you figure out your Weber tuning feel free to come by and do mine
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Wincher

Default not so fast...

Dang.
new fuel pump looked to solve the problem, but after 3 days of running good...
back to the same, rough running, stalling, no power, just gradually getting worse than before...

will run pressure check on new pump.

clean bowl.

could this ge in the ignition system? plugs look good, could use a new cap. electronic points.

fuel return line cause this maybe? if it's plugged? pvc valve?

dang.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

The PCV valve burned me once. The symptoms are running great then it just stops. Easy enough to prove out...plug the hose.

Is your Weber the 38 or the 32? I restrict the feul pressure to my Weber at 3.5psi. Corsair mentioned tuning the Weber so here is the data for that.

I bought all my jets from www.carbs.net a little spendy but I guess about average.

5280 elevation
Weber 38/38
  • 135 Main------------->73801.135
  • 190 or 200 Air------->77201.200 Either will work but depends on altitude if lean or rich.
  • 50 Idle Big----------->74409.050
  • 50 Idle Small-------->74403.050
  • 70 Pump------------->76215.070 Weber came with the 70 pump

I have the 38 DGEV on my 78. I went through tons of $5.00 jets to get it right. The most important thing to check is the adapter that comes with most Webers. It is usually two plates and the screws are too long. You will never be able to cure the vacuum leaks on a Weber unless you grind off the last two threads on both sets of screws. I did this and no longer have any vacuum leaks or that, oh so nice, whistling noise under the hood. A good rule for adjusting the jets is one stop for every 3000 feet in elevation. Use the main jets for major changes and the air for fine tuning.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 08-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Awesome info Mike

I think I only understand 1/2 of it but that is a lot more than I understood/knew 5 mins ago
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Wincher

I can not find any i.d. on this carb.

any advice on id'ing the carb? I can find a serial # 10312 on one of the pumps. that's it.

It doesn't look like any carb i can find on the web. came from JT outfitters. None have the same fuel bowl I do.

I think I may need to do some tuning, but I can't seem to get gas to the damn thing.

I blew out the lines from pump to tank. a little resistance then "puff" with 10-15lbs of pressure, then line blew clean.
blew from the carb into the return line, same thing built up to 10 lbs of pressure, then "pop" and blows free.

I can not register more than 1-2 lbs of pressure after the pump and only about that much vacuum before the pump.
Carb bowl has less than 1/2 inch of fuel. Is perfectly clean, float seems okay, no crap in bowl or inlet.

I either got a bad pump, or something in my tank is obstructing flow on and off. Could that have "burned out" the new pump.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Wincher

aha

a 34/34 dgec according to Jt outfitters. cable adapted to rod linkage.