Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Need some advice about affordable engine rebuild for 2f

I have a 2f that had 202,000 on it and have a piston loosing pressure, down to 27psi with the rest around 90. Does anyone know of an affordable re-builder in Colorado or have a good runner. On a shoe string budget and this is my daily driver. Thanks for any help. Steve
Old 08-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

What year is your engine? Just trying to confirm if it is an F, 1.5F or 2F?

With 200K+ miles it probably is due for a rebuild. However, if you truely are on a budget and need a quick fix for now, try doing a compression check on it. It may just need a valve job and/or head gasket. Both relatively easy to do and not terribly expensive. If you do end up doing a valve job on an engine with that many miles though, the improved sealing on the head & valves usually leads to the piston rings starting to leak a little worse.

Try giving Justin at Redline a private message. I know he has several good used 2F engines and 1 totally rebuilt 2F for sale. He is RLMS on this forum.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 08-10-2010, 03:52 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

and if he cannot help, you might try Gunn automotive on federal just north of alameda.... I heard BVB recommend them for engine rebuilds a time or two.... at least see what they would charge.
KD0EXO
Old 08-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Dog View Post
and if he cannot help, you might try Gunn automotive on federal just north of alameda.... I heard BVB recommend them for engine rebuilds a time or two.... at least see what they would charge.
Gunn is a good shop, but it's my understanding they only do the machining and parts sourcing. No assembly. They did the machine work on my 2F head.

'85 FJ60
Old 08-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Gunn is an excellent machine shop, I've used them for over 30 years. But Martin is correct that they do not disassemble or reassemble the engine, you must have that done by soneone else or do it yourself.

FYI Gunn is an excellent source for buying F-2F engine parts too. I was just there yesterday and had them get me a set of 2F camshaft timing gears. $65.00 for the set including tax, they had them 3 hours after I called them. NAPA and all of the other joints couldn't find them at all, JTO online was $125 plus shipping plus a 30 day wait.

For a full rebuild on a 2F via Gunn it usually runs about $1200 for the machine work and a master rebuild parts kit assuming your crank/head, etc are all rebuildable. Again, you will have to put it together.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Thanks for the info

I have an 87 2F and ran compression and it was 90 90 80 27..then I stopped because I was fairly disappointed. So my problem is I don't have a place to assemble a motor I can pull and install but just don't have the specific tools for engine assembly. I don't really want to spend more than $1,000 I kinda wanted to do the whole job for around that or a little more. sounds like I would need rings and main bearings and everything..Let me know what you think.

Steve
Old 08-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckhound View Post
I have an 87 2F and ran compression and it was 90 90 80 27..then I stopped because I was fairly disappointed. So my problem is I don't have a place to assemble a motor I can pull and install but just don't have the specific tools for engine assembly. I don't really want to spend more than $1,000 I kinda wanted to do the whole job for around that or a little more. sounds like I would need rings and main bearings and everything..Let me know what you think.

Steve
Your best bet would be to find a used, running 2F and drop it in as is. That's the only way you'll get it going for under $1000.

Or, drive it as is. I've been driving my 85 FJ60 with low compression for awhile now. It's not fast, but it always gets me home.

'85 FJ60
Old 08-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

I suggest you finish your compression check. Keep in mind you have to adjust the compression readings to compensate for Denver's elevation. You need to divide your readings by .85 so you can see that your 80/90 readings here would actually be 95-100 at sea level. There are tons of 2F motors running around quite happily at 100 psi compression readings.

If #4 is the only really bad reading, squirt oil in the cylinder and check it again. If the reading improves significantly then it is probably a piston ring problem. If it doesn't improve then it's probably a valve or head gasket issue. It's quite common for 2F's to have a valve issue on either #4 or #5.

If it is a valve you can pull the head in an afternoon easy. If you get another head rebuilt first, then you can put it back together the same day.

Or, find someone with a decent used motor you can buy and drop in.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

as randy noted I would do a wet test with oil and note compression. It might only be a top end build not a full rebuild.
TLCA#4180
Old 08-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Trail Ready

We have a 79 2f here at the shop, used but ran good, no carb, no dizzy, no igniter, but does have the boss for factory PS pump!

Justin