Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

He can probably use all of the accessories off of his current motor and just use your long block. That would be a pretty easy swap. Can you compression check it?
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 08-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Trail Ready

I can get a comp test, and yes his acc's can just swap over!!

Justin
Old 08-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for all the advice. I found a 83 2F in VA for $600 that has real good compression 150-130 not warmed up. Got confirmation from Iron pig that it was a good running motor. Comes with new clutch kit also. My next question is do you think I should have the head redone before I even put it in the truck or just let it keep running as it has for this many years.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckhound View Post
... found a 83 2F in VA for $600 that has real good compression 150-130 not warmed up. Got confirmation from Iron pig that it was a good running motor. Comes with new clutch kit also. My next question is do you think I should have the head redone before I even put it in the truck or just let it keep running as it has for this many years.
I picked up a "new to me engine" and faced this same question. I was told (by people I trust) the history of the engine and that it would be a running engine without issue. I replaced the seals and gaskets and dropped it in and it worked out just fine - it is a strong running engine. That said, I made the decision with open eyes and knew there was a chance I might regret not popping the head. Your situation is not necessarily the same, but the right answer is the one you are comfortable with.
TLCA #18941
Old 08-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

I think if you find a strong 2F (compression and oil-pressure-wise), just replace the external gaskets and run it. Removing the head later (if necessary) isn't a huge job anyway. I would always compression test the engine before installation (if possible - toss on a bellhousing and starter, and do it cold) just to baseline it before you go to the trouble of installing it.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah I will do the compression test before installing. Have run into that problem in the past working on corvairs, learned my lesson.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

hey just what is up with your 2F it would be nice if I didn't have to pay freight for an engine from VA.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Trail Ready

Ill get the 79 2f comp tested tomorrow!!
I might have another 2f out of a 82 fj-60, I have lost track of what I have

Justin
Old 08-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckhound View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I found a 83 2F in VA for $600 that has real good compression 150-130 not warmed up. Got confirmation from Iron pig that it was a good running motor. Comes with new clutch kit also. My next question is do you think I should have the head redone before I even put it in the truck or just let it keep running as it has for this many years.
They are at or close to sea level. That same engine at my house (6700') would read 127 to 110 because of elevation and air density differences.

If the compression is that good then chances are the head is OK, I would run it as-is. Get confirmation from them too on how good the oil pressure was.

I don't know how much shipping is but if Justin has a motor in comparable condition and price range I would say buy local. If you ever have any questions or issues on the motor you know where to go.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang