Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

If you spend lots of time out east I would also throw in a pull pal. It is really nice when there are no rocks or trees to winch off. Also comes in handy when you forget your winch extension at home......
I also carry a Highlift base and off road kit(in case you need to hand winch).
As far as chain I carry 25 feet of grade 70 3/8 inch with grab hooks.
TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube

Last edited by Snowrun; 08-10-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper

Nice Marco, i was in Maryland and stopped at a rest stop after getting my rig from the shop and noticed a U Haul trailer smoking. The driver never noticed it for the last 6 or 7 hours. When he stopped the air was not there to cool it down and lit up. He supposedly enguaged the mechanical brake on the trailer to much some where near SC and never knew how to work it. Needless to say the trailer about melted with his car on it as he called U Haul to see what to do or get help. I took my recovery gear out from the trail ride the weekend before so i did not have mine. Lesson learned for him and me to always carry it.
TLCA #19056
08 TT FJC
82 Scrambler (Scraps)
81 Scrambler (Sassy)
07.5 Dodge Ram 2500
69 Maro... next project when the Jeeps get done.....
Old 08-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

When I worked in a garage, there was a guy that limped his car in with Heat Shrink around his break-line. Not the safest thing in the world but it worked enough to get him to the shop. Personally, I was surprised that it was able to hold up but he had electrical tape laird over it several times.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 08-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I have older straps that have been demoted to chain-style duty, like moving rocks around, the only real chains I have are some hi-lift accessories. I've also got a "winter bag" that I toss in for FEAT nights and snow runs, it's got stuff like a set of transport hooks, hi-lift base, etc. But I don't bring all that junk wheeling every time.

At some point you need to find the balance with what you really need and what's too much crap in the truck. I'd rather get creative and McGyver something together to get me home, than deal with a big heavy tub of junk I don't need.. another reason to not wheel alone.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

My Alfa Spider had an engine fire once, leaky fuel line..I was trying to sell it and showed it to a guy, only a few blocks from where I live now, then got back on University and Evans headed to the shop to get the leak fixed and poof smoke came out of the bonnet....

I opened the bonnet and flames started shooting up...I had just taken all the stuff out of the trunk I normally keep in it, like a fire exinguisher...

I just stood there, called the fire department and then someone behind me walked up with a fire extinguisher.. Probably only burned for 2-3 minutes but that seems like forever when it is happening..Fire department showed up and sprayed the hell out of it with their foam...

6 months in the shop and then 1 month at the body shop and it was as good as new. You couldn't even tell it had ever happened unless you were there..

I have a fire extinguisher in every car now. That is standard OP for sure..
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com

Last edited by Caribou Sandstorm; 08-10-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Heck! After Chris's and Marco's fires stories I think I better go get a few extinguishers. So far I've not had any fire issues with cars....a few with boats when I was in the Coast Guard but nothing major.
TLCA#20535
Old 08-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Don't forget to have them around the house, too!

I once set my basement floor drain on fire (furnace pilot light + aerosol anything = not good) and I guess the water in the trap was low because it just kept burning. I dunno if it's possible to blow up a sewer line but since I have fire extinguishers everywhere I didn't find out that day. I also started dumping a couple of buckets of water down the floor drain the 1st of every month to keep the trap from drying out...

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 08-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

The important items have been posted and as Nakman said, over time you learn what to take and what to leave home. I like the fact that we all have the same basic kit but each of us also carry some different/unique items, that usually mean finding the right tool for the job in somebody's rig. If you wheel alone your kit may need to be more comprehensive then someone who is always in a group.

I see several people mention chains and just as important as the strength of the chain is the type of hook used.
There are two basic types of hooks, Grab hooks and Sling hooks (often called "slip" hooks).
Name:  hooks.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  49.3 KB
A grab hook is designed to hook back to a chain, such as connecting chains together, shortening a chain or creating a loop in a chain.
A Sling hook is designed to hook to another object via ring, shackle or a designated rigging point. They are sometimes called "slip" hook, I assume this comes from their use to create a choker, e.g. wrapping around a bundle of logs to drag them but this is extremely hazardous and should only be a last resort in a recovery situation.
I suggest having both because they each serve a specific purpose.

Tim also mentioned "transport" hooks and I have a quite a selection from my days in the towing/recovery industry but I do not suggest using them for certain types of recovery.
For pulling strangers cars out of snow banks they can be invaluable because most cars lack real "tow hooks" but most have a transportation tie down point that can be used. On the trail they can be used to stabilize a rig while winching/lifting or for pulling a disabled truck along a trail but NOT for heavy extraction/recovery. (the hooks and frames are not rated for that)
Old 08-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

This thread rocks, thanks for the hook info Mike!
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 08-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Could someone please answer the question of how much chain and what weight of chain would be ideal?

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366