Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Tundra Rear Bilstein Shocks on the Front of an 80?

Hi All,
So in my continuing search for a somewhat budget replacement shock for my blown front OME, I am curious if anyone has thoughts on the viability of running a rear oem Bilstein from a early 2000 TRD tundra on the front of an 80.

I'm kinda considering this for two reasons: I can get the shocks from cdan(I think) and they are very reasonably priced. With one eyelet adapter in the front, they would be very close to the extended length of the regular OME shocks. And mostly, if it doesn't work, its only ~90ish bucks and I can just change out the ones on my parents tundra

Without going down the path of "will it fit", I have two questions:
  1. Since the tundra is leaf spring in the back, would these shocks not be designed to function as the "limiting strap" on an 80? IE on the tundra the leaf determines max droop, correct? And maybe the shock was not designed to have that much pulling force on it and could be pulled apart by a heavy 80?
  2. Would the dampening be somewhat in the correct neighborhood? My guesstimate would be it is at least in the neighborhood, as the Tundra has a Rear gawr of 3760 pounds, so both the springs and shocks would have to be able to handle that load?

Thoughts?

Corey
Old 08-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Maybe I don't know the whole story, well I know I don't. But why are you not just getting a replacement shock? Are you lifting this vehicle, in the future? If you are going to do a lift are you able to pull the trigger on that now?

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 08-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Schlegs View Post
Maybe I don't know the whole story, well I know I don't. But why are you not just getting a replacement shock? Are you lifting this vehicle, in the future? If you are going to do a lift are you able to pull the trigger on that now?
Good question, sorry, guess I didn't put enough details in my post. Cruiser is already lifted, OME heavies all around with OME n73 shocks in front. One of the front's is blown, and was only on for a few years. I'm hesitant to go back to the OME's given how quick this one failed and how expensive they are. I've also heard some bad things about the ride quality of the new nitrocharger sports so not sure I wanna go that route.

Given that, I've been doing tons of searching regarding what my other options are, and there isn't much given my current amount of lift. (I looked at Fox, Procomp, Rancho, bilstein)

I can't find an exact compressed/extended measurement of the tundra rear shock, but I believe its about a 8.8 inch travel and somewhat short body. So that plus the eye adapter I think would be pretty close to the n73, though with an inch less travel (I'm not too worried about it).

Seemed like a reasonably priced option for replacement shocks, but just not sure what the dampening and construction of the tundra shocks are like and how "compatible" they may be on the front of a lifted cruiser.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

OME does have a warranty. I'm not sure if you meet the qualifications.

http://www.arbusa.com/Warranty/77.aspx

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 08-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Schlegs View Post
OME does have a warranty. I'm not sure if you meet the qualifications.
Unfortunately no; no receipt and slightly over 2 years.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

I think Bikeman might be running Bilsteins on his 80 but I don't recall what lift he has...He might be able to provide some part #'s for what he is running to give you an idea of what you might be looking for shock wise, then compare that info to the shocks the Tundra run...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

If the length is similar, it will be ok, but I would compare the valving specs between the tundra spec and the 80 spec. before dropping the $$$. Bilstein should have the info available. The 80 requires a shock with a lot of rebound, that would be the first # ie 255/80. If you don't have a lot of rebound, the ride will be bouncy.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 08-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman View Post
If the length is similar, it will be ok, but I would compare the valving specs between the tundra spec and the 80 spec. before dropping the $$$. Bilstein should have the info available. The 80 requires a shock with a lot of rebound, that would be the first # ie 255/80. If you don't have a lot of rebound, the ride will be bouncy.
Hrm, just tried both phone numbers for bilstein but neither were answered. No contact email address on their website either. I wonder if a Toyota dealer would have this info, but I kinda doubt it? And the aftermarked bilstein dealers were all places like autozone, checker, etc. I kinda doubt they'd have OEM data either.

I guess there is another TRD part that is supposed to have extra rebound and compression, but its quite a bit more expensive. Completely agree having the valving numbers on the Toyota shock would be nice. I'll poke around the web and see what I can come up with.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

I tried TRDparts4u, but they said toyota does not make the valving numbers avail. to them.

I found another email addr. for bilstein so I emailed them & will see if/what they say.

Corey
Old 08-11-2010, 06:49 AM
Rising Sun Member

Tundra has a strut in the front with a coil over it. Not going to work in the 80. Mounting is not the same as the 80.

The comments you heard on the Nitrocharger shocks probable pertain to lighter vehicles. Not sure what all you have on your truck, but on a heavy vehicle they are a better shock than the old ones.