Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default IH8 Brake work

HATE! HATE!

[RANT]
Let's see - I had the simple goal of swapping out 3 stock soft lines for the extended variety on the 80. The first two lines came out really well, and then the 3rd (the front passenger side and easiest of the three) wasn't as cooperative.....stripped the hard line trying to break it free. Toyota seemed to have trouble finding this little 4" hard line, but it finally arrived 5 days later. Oh well, moving on....put in the new hard line, and tightened everything up. Bleed everything and I'm good to go? Wrong....

Both rear bleeder screws are seized to the caliper - sweet. I completely strip one side trying to break it free, and the other side starts to strip as well (this after several days of PB blaster). Stop there. Next day, head over to Napa and grab a couple of new bleeder screws. I start with the unstripped screw - put a 6 pt socket on it with a bit of air torque, and it breaks free. Now to the stripped one. Pull the tire for better access. Vice grips - no luck. Center punch - nope. Hammer on a 9mm socket to the stripped head - nada. Drill and extractor - not a chance. The bugger has fused itself to the caliper and there is not even a slight budge. I finally mutilate the bleeder hole with the drill, and what's left of the bleeder is still inside the caliper.

So what began a week and a half ago as a simple brake line swap has now progressed to swapping out yet another caliper - my second in 3 months of ownership.

[/RANT]
Lucky for me the old 40 is hanging tough with daily driver duties...
Old 08-13-2010, 08:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

you want some help with removing the rest of the bleeder screw?
82 FJ40
Old 08-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

I completely feel for you! By 80 brake job turned into a multi-week ordeal. I left the one softline for rear body to frame because it wouldnt loosen. I went straight to new calipers as the old ones were pretty freakin rusty. Good luck with the project
Old 08-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks. I got a reman Caliper today from Napa for $48, so that's where I'm headed. There's not a lot rust under there, so I'm not sure what the deal is - probably just neglect. The fronts and the proportioning valve opened just fine tho. I think the truck is just testing me - tough love.... Can't wait until I start in on the suspension work....
Old 08-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

They freeze easily if never bled. crap gets in there when the dust cap falls off and gets it stuck pretty good. I bet that fluid was nasty....

Sometimes if the wrench begins to round the hex off I go straight to the vise grips. Clamp those suckers on there as tight as you can without pooping yourself and tap them with a hammer.

This is where name brand decent sized vise grips are nice...

anyways, sounds like you've got it. I bet the brakes are going to be nice now
82 FJ40
Old 08-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I completely know where you're coming from. Sorry to hear it.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.