Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Rear locker won't enguage... What next?

1993 fjz80. The rear locker won't engage. I pulled the locker and the motor, springs, gears ect look pristine. Nothing is frozen or rusty at all. So i sat underneath while someone turned the switch. The motor didn't move. I need to test the connections with a multi-meter, but anyone have suggestions where to start?
Old 08-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would suggest you check the forum, IHATEMUD if you are not already on there. Great source of information.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 08-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Lifted

I'm having the same problem with my 96 4runner. I retrofitted a locker in last summer. Worked great till about a month ago... now light just blinks and it won't engage. I was never very confident in my wiring... so I'm kinda thinkin' loose connection, but maybe it just froze up. Had similar problem every so often before, but puttin 'er in reverse, or sharp turn usually free'd it up... not this time though. Need to do the same thing you did... check to see if I can hear it try to engage from underneath. Yeah, I know... this reply doesn't help anything... and I use way too many dot dot dots, but I just thought I would be interactive and put in my two cents... okay, this is only worth about one cent.
1996 4runner Limited, retrofitted E-locker, manual hubs, front King Coilover 2" lift, rear Landcruiser 3" lift, drop panhard bracket, 2000 4runner center console/e-brake conversion, K&N air intake, throttle body spacer, OBX headers.

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 08-14-2010, 12:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

I think there is a test you can do using a 9v battery? I know I've read about it on MUD but I can't recall the exact procedure.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

You can disconnect the motor from the truck wiring and hook up a positive and negative wirefrom a 12 volt power source, I use my jump box, to the pins. If it does back and forth you have a problem with your wiring.

I had similar problems and that is you you fix it. If the truck is still locked, put the rear axle on some stands, take the motor of the locker and use your finger or screw driver to move the drive gear forward or backwards to lock. replace motor and you are good to go.

If you need more info call me 3-829-o7o3 Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 08-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Rock Stacker

Thanks, I will try jumping the connection.