Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Lifted

Default Fuse Block?

I have seen some write ups or mentions of accessory fuse blocks. Can anyone suggest where I might get a decent one at a reasonable price? Actually looking for something that maybe I can wire up so that 4 or 5 fuses are always on, and 4 or 5 are relayed to only be on with the ignition.

Thanks in advance,
Shayn
1996 4runner Limited, retrofitted E-locker, manual hubs, front King Coilover 2" lift, rear Landcruiser 3" lift, drop panhard bracket, 2000 4runner center console/e-brake conversion, K&N air intake, throttle body spacer, OBX headers.

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 08-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I've had good luck with the Painless ones... the gauge of wire is a little small but as long as you're not going to run anything too crazy off of it, it's fine. http://www.jegs.com/i/Painless+Perfo...70207/10002/-1 you get 3 "always on" and 4 "switched on."

I've got them running light relays, fridges, seat heaters, CB's, other random 12v outlets, multiple LED's, york clutch, more LED's, etc. If you get some big mega amp for the stereo, or a 1000 watt inverter or something, I'd probably run those direct to the battery, but these Painless ones are sweet for little accessories.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Lifted

Perfect! Thanks.
1996 4runner Limited, retrofitted E-locker, manual hubs, front King Coilover 2" lift, rear Landcruiser 3" lift, drop panhard bracket, 2000 4runner center console/e-brake conversion, K&N air intake, throttle body spacer, OBX headers.

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

http://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/cat...ock-with-Cover

I bought them from Yearwood Performance in Albuquerque, but I'm sure they are probably sold in the Denver area too... Happy enough I bought a second one. Half of them powered from one source, the other half from another. One in the 40 (part of the 3B swap) has hot/ACC sections, the other has hot/IGN sections. I used a solenoid from McMaster Carr to control the power for the switched sides, so that the control can handle MUCH more than 30Amps (which is my beef with the Painless ones--and the price).

High quality wire, and 12GA wire throughout. Less than half the price of the painless, but you have to do more--it's JUST a fuse block.

Dan
Old 08-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I have two of these, one in each Land Cruiser. You can get them from your local West Marine store (there is one on County Line Road).
Attached Images

1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:16 AM
Rising Sun Member

Inside or outside application?

If inside I have one of the ones that Slee installs (or use to anyway) seen HERE

I have just the fuse block, no cover, relay, or anything else. I ended up going the Blue Sea route like Hulk posted up. Mainly because I'm electrically challenged and didn't want to futz with trying to figure out the switched power setup . That and the Blue Sea blocks have ground lugs so once you establish a known good ground to the unit you have known good ground positions on the block. IMO that saves time when wiring stuff up even if I have to run a longer ground wire back to the block vs. finding a ground near whatever it is I'm adding (like my HAM radio).

One issue with the West Marine units is I'm pretty sure they are either all switched or all always on, no split.

If you're interested in the block I didn't use let me know. IIRC it is made by Wrangler.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

Great thread, and just in time! I'm just about to get a fuse block to hook up the aux lights for a (hopefully) upcoming trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I've had good luck with the Painless ones... the gauge of wire is a little small but as long as you're not going to run anything too crazy off of it, it's fine. http://www.jegs.com/i/Painless+Perfo...70207/10002/-1 you get 3 "always on" and 4 "switched on."
What wire were you able to tap into for the switched? And is the block installed in the engine bay or in the cab? I was initially thinking of going the blue sea route, but the fact that I'd probably leave something turned on when the car wasn't running makes me reconsider. But the one thing stopping me was trying to figure out which wire to tap for that. I think I read a few folks on mud tap the cig. lighter for in-cab work, but is there something better in the engine bay?
Old 08-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by coax View Post
Great thread, and just in time! I'm just about to get a fuse block to hook up the aux lights for a (hopefully) upcoming trip.

What wire were you able to tap into for the switched? And is the block installed in the engine bay or in the cab? I was initially thinking of going the blue sea route, but the fact that I'd probably leave something turned on when the car wasn't running makes me reconsider. But the one thing stopping me was trying to figure out which wire to tap for that. I think I read a few folks on mud tap the cig. lighter for in-cab work, but is there something better in the engine bay?
I've got both- one inside in the rear cargo area, and one under the hood. I would recommend you put it inside, presuming most of your accessories will also be inside, as my grommet on the DS firewall is completely packed with wires...

I am tapping into the fuse block that's by your left knee, into the radio fuse, for the pink wire that triggers the relay to turn on the accessory-only fuses. Yeah there's probably something in the engine bay too, you just need it to be 12v when the key is on, and nothing when the key is off.. the only load is enough juice to flip a relay.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I have two of these, one in each Land Cruiser. You can get them from your local West Marine store (there is one on County Line Road).
This is what I use as well - very nice product and a good price ($40-50). I always run a heavyish gauge wire (6 or 8 awg depending on load and length) from the battery into the cab and to the fuse block. Make sure you include an in-line fusible link if you run off the battery. Then you can just run small wires from the block to the accessories.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Make sure you include an in-line fusible link if you run off the battery. Then you can just run small wires from the block to the accessories.
I didn't do this -- should I get one? Where would I find such an item?

Pardon my ignorance: why do I need this? It's a fuse for the fuse box?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.