Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Been doing some thinking these days...

As to where to go regarding my vehicle situation.

I love Skelator, but at what point does it make sence to start new? IT's getting harder for me to justify spending 4k just to make the suspension right, only to later stress about the motor (that has 280K) and other parts of the truck.

I talked to Cruiser Outfitters about the double cab Tacoma that might be for sale, 28k is just not doable for me. So I fall Back on the first gen minis and 4runners. Do I save my money and find that grandmad mini and build it? I guess i'm lost as to what to do.

One thing is for sure, if i'm still wheeles next summer, i'm not staying stuck to the city!

P.S, no 80's for this guy

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Perry,

What about a 3rd gen 4Runner? They are solid and getting really reasonable in price. A 5-second search on Craigslist found this:

1997 4Runner Limited 4WD - $5000 (DU area)
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1904727458.html

Think about how nice Yoder's vehicle is -- and it wheels really great. Plus, the bonus is that if you picked up a date in this, she'll think it's a slick ride and not a beater.
Attached Images

1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:20 AM
Club Treasurer

Something I don't see mentioned much is the difference, MARKED difference in wheelability of progressive generations of 4Runners and mini trucks. I had an 86 4Runner (1st year of IFS) which would lift a front tire if you leaned against. I got so frustrated trying to wheel it that I gave it to my then step daughter and went out and bought a solid axle mini truck.

However, later I got a 94 mini truck (2nd iteration of IFS). While not as good as my solid axle, it was light years ahead of the 86 in terms of front end travel and off road capability. I was really impressed with the improvement.

More recently we got my wife a 2000 4Runner (yet again the next iteration of IFS beyond the 94 truck). This is the 3rd gen Matt references above. Holy crap, this truck is amazing. The rear coils help a LOT, since it makes it much harder to lose traction on both a front and a rear tire at the same time with that much travel out back. I shopped until I found one with a rear e-locker. We put 235 85 16s on it (skinny 32" tires) with no lift and I can't get them to rub at all.

I guess my point is that you shouldn't get too hung up on having to have a first gen. You can get second and third gens uber cheap if you look around. I just bought a 94 4x4 manual 22RE truck off my neighbor with 131K on it for $800. It had a dented fender and door, but I got a color matched fender from Yoda Jim's yard for $60! Blue book on it is around $3k, so I got a screaming deal on this truck. But even at $3k these are nice, comfortable, capable and buildable trucks for cheap.

That's all I have to say about that.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 08-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

Perry, if you are replacing Skelator and still thinking 1st gen ... don't bother, same same different problems. If you are thinking hard core no longer, Hulk's suggestion is a good one. HOWEVER, you Baja that thing and the fix won't be as simple as Skelator's last year. Carrying a spare rack, knuckle and upper A-arm is inconvenient.

+1 on preventing all the predictable 80 suggestions. You might consider an early double cab with your rooftop tent.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Perfect solution...

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGoat View Post
Something I don't see mentioned much is the difference, MARKED difference in wheelability of progressive generations of 4Runners and mini trucks. I had an 86 4Runner (1st year of IFS) which would lift a front tire if you leaned against. I got so frustrated trying to wheel it that I gave it to my then step daughter and went out and bought a solid axle mini truck.

However, later I got a 94 mini truck (2nd iteration of IFS). While not as good as my solid axle, it was light years ahead of the 86 in terms of front end travel and off road capability
Interesting I have owned all of the above. There is no essential design difference between an 86 IFS and 90-something IFS. There may be differences in torsion bars and weight and whether the sway bar was disconnected (highly recommended ). The generation of 4Runner pictured is surprisingly capable but the IFS is a tad more fragile. Know that, and drive sane, and you will be fine. The coils work great but the control arms limit mods beyond a certain point but 80 coils are an option if you don't mind a raked look.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

I think you have the right idea, Perry. Finding another rig that needs less and has lower miles would be a better use of funds. I've actually been looking for another first gen mini truck or 4runner to use as a daily driver and I've been finding a lot of great deals on Craigslist. I haven't had the fund$ to jump on any deals yet, which makes me crazy because there are some good ones available right now for decent prices that I'm missing out on.

Check these out:

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/1846385074.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1882409435.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1900357926.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1903140424.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1901399667.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1895345552.html

http://rockies.craigslist.org/cto/1886306554.html

'85 FJ60
Old 08-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Club Treasurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I haven't had the fund$ to jump on any deals yet, which makes me crazy because there are some good ones available right now for decent prices that I'm missing out on.

Check these out: ...
Dang, there are some nice trucks there.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 08-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGoat View Post
I had an 86 4Runner (1st year of IFS) which would lift a front tire if you leaned against.

However, later I got a 94 mini truck (2nd iteration of IFS).
The Hi-Trac IFS on 4Runner and Pickup from 1986 through 1995 are all identical and other than the frame width the outside parts on the T-100 are the same (the CV axles are the sole difference and the T-100 used rack-n-pinion steering instead of the recirculating ball and cross-over relay rod like Hiluxes). I have a right spindle and lower control arm from a 1987 4Runner, both CV axles and upper control arms from a 1988 truck and the rest is the original 1991. There might be differences in torsion bars, although AFAIK they are all 22.5mm from Toyota and should be similar spring rates. Might be you saw a difference due to weight of the truck or something else, but the parts are all the same.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 08-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh4rnnr View Post
So I fall Back on the first gen minis and 4runners. Do I save my money and find that grandmad mini and build it? I guess i'm lost as to what to do.
I plan on driving my truck until the wheels fall off (well, sorta to the point that Skeletor is for you I suppose). Cars are sinking investments and so you weigh the amount of money you are spending against using the money for something else. When you hit the point where you are spending more money on the truck than it is returning in actual or perceived utility, then you stop.

But if you want to flog your truck, then you have to be willing to spend money on it regardless if it's your 4Runner or something else. Just because it's newer doesn't mean driving it hard is going to break it less. The advantage to keeping what you have is that you've already spent a lot of money and time to buy it and get it to this point. That money and time will have to be re-spent.

Personally, in your position, I would find another IFS mini truck or 4Runner that hasn't been beaten silly and move as many parts over as you want to keep, part out and scrap the rest. Cars are just tools, a means to an end. Your truck is a lot like mine, a way to get someplace and if it's not doing the job anymore there is nothing wrong with moving on. If I had the money I might think of an SAS on Skeletor, but the truck in other ways doesn't meet your criteria. You've mentioned other times wanting more interior space, more enclosed space, etc. So it all depends on how much you want to spend on achieving your goals. Our IFS trucks might not be ideal for crawling, but they work just fine to get us places, so it's a lot of effort and money for something that might be a good fit to the application when considering our finite income. If I won the lottery I would SAS Imelda in a heartbeat, but in the real world it's less important than other uses of my savings.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler