Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

What exactly does that $4k that you need to spend entail? Is that to just get the IFS back in shape (doesn't seem like it would cost $4k to weld a control arm back on)? Or are you looking at other upgrades? Some of that cost might be redundant whether you are fixing your truck, or buying a new one.

So give us an idea of what that cost covers to help you make a decision. And you need to make a decision that you can bite off, because not having a truck next spring is not an option.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

If you want a super built mini truck that has a brand new motor in it, the gecko is for sale
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 08-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Perry,

What about a 3rd gen 4Runner? They are solid and getting really reasonable in price. A 5-second search on Craigslist found this:

1997 4Runner Limited 4WD - $5000 (DU area)
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1904727458.html

Think about how nice Yoder's vehicle is -- and it wheels really great. Plus, the bonus is that if you picked up a date in this, she'll think it's a slick ride and not a beater.
Matt, that's a good thought, and a great price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I plan on driving my truck until the wheels fall off (well, sorta to the point that Skeletor is for you I suppose). Cars are sinking investments and so you weigh the amount of money you are spending against using the money for something else. When you hit the point where you are spending more money on the truck than it is returning in actual or perceived utility, then you stop.

But if you want to flog your truck, then you have to be willing to spend money on it regardless if it's your 4Runner or something else. Just because it's newer doesn't mean driving it hard is going to break it less. The advantage to keeping what you have is that you've already spent a lot of money and time to buy it and get it to this point. That money and time will have to be re-spent.

Personally, in your position, I would find another IFS mini truck or 4Runner that hasn't been beaten silly and move as many parts over as you want to keep, part out and scrap the rest. Cars are just tools, a means to an end. Your truck is a lot like mine, a way to get someplace and if it's not doing the job anymore there is nothing wrong with moving on. If I had the money I might think of an SAS on Skeletor, but the truck in other ways doesn't meet your criteria. You've mentioned other times wanting more interior space, more enclosed space, etc. So it all depends on how much you want to spend on achieving your goals. Our IFS trucks might not be ideal for crawling, but they work just fine to get us places, so it's a lot of effort and money for something that might be a good fit to the application when considering our finite income. If I won the lottery I would SAS Imelda in a heartbeat, but in the real world it's less important than other uses of my savings.
Dave, i understand with what we do to our trucks, things are going to break, just would be nice to have something a little more new (less miles).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
What exactly does that $4k that you need to spend entail? Is that to just get the IFS back in shape (doesn't seem like it would cost $4k to weld a control arm back on)? Or are you looking at other upgrades? Some of that cost might be redundant whether you are fixing your truck, or buying a new one.

So give us an idea of what that cost covers to help you make a decision. And you need to make a decision that you can bite off, because not having a truck next spring is not an option.
Matt, The 4k will be fixing the truck and upgrading it. SAS, ARB's front and rear and some other stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
If you want a super built mini truck that has a brand new motor in it, the gecko is for sale
Randy, how is the Gecko for street driving and long distance? Can it handle long exursions with steady fast paced driving?

Thanks for the thoughts so far guys.

Martin, i'll look at those links tonight.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Everything on it from the engine, clutch, T-cases, driveshafts, U joints, diffs, axles and brakes are new. It is a little slow going up I-70 because of the 39" tires. Since it has 5.29 gears in it, if you put 35's on it that would give it a lot more pep uphill but with the 5 speed you would still be able to cruise.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 08-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Perfect solution...

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 08-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Pick this up and you're turn-key ready for the Outlaws Run once you strap on your RTT

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/1846385074.html

'85 FJ60
Old 08-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Rachel is really happy with her 3rd gen 4runner. She has had it for 6 years now with no major issues.

The only real problem with it is changing the oil filter is a PIA.

Look for a 3.4VL witha rear locker. We later put an arb in the front.

You would probably want to keep the tires at 33's unless you wanted to dump a ton of money. She wheels it quite a bit and its great on the highway
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 08-19-2010, 08:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

This one already has the SAS, lift, bumpers done:

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/1904813064.html

'85 FJ60
Old 08-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

Perry there is also a used Toyota pick up truck lot on Broadway in Denver. they have all years, some sort of built and some bone stock at wacko low prices..

I would love to go over there and look at trucks with you, that sounds totally fun...shopping with someone else's money...

btw, I am with Matt, maybe it makes since to find a rig that is less hardcore and a bit nice looking? You are already an IFs man, don't leave us..our numbers are down, as it is
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 08-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

Perry, I feel you there man. I personally have been doing a lot of thinking about a similar step, though I am seriously considering an early 2000's 2wd tacoma extended cab. However, they are still sorta pricey these days, though the mileage is usually pretty good.

If I were you, I would really look at the third generation 4runners and first gen tacoma's if you plan to stay IFS. The second generation IFS is far superior to the early garbage you and I have.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead