Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Skiing Rocker ski's tele

Ok, I want to get some new skis this year, read lots of great info on the Volkl Mantra ski(not so interested any more, made in China, I could rant about this, but will not, but really disapointed in Volkl).
Will be mounted with Hammer heads(only way to fly)
So has any Pin heads here in the Rising sun skiied or demo or has a set of Rockered skis that work well for every thing( I have in the past believe that you need a quiver, But my old Atomic's come close to a one quiver ski).
I know we have a few pin head around and I do want to ski more this winter than the past. I wish I had the time and money to do what I did in my 20's and 30's, where skiing and climbing was more a part of my life.
Maybe when I win the Lotto
I also hope to ski with a few folks this coming winter.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Lifted

I did not know you were a Pinhead like myself! I have demo'ed myself and heard lots of good things about the Mantra. It is a great powerfull ski and works well as a tele, if you can overlook the China issue. Curently I am riding the K2 Anti Piste. This ski is very similar in feel to the Mantra but still made in china. I have a pair of K2 Pontoons with Hammerheads and I love them in any type of soft snow. They have loads of rocker/ reverse camber and nearly impossible to make telemark turns on hardpack or groomers with but rip up the groomers with alpine turns. I have also demo'ed the K2 Seth which has rocker only. They are fun and definately more reasonable as a resort tele board and would skin reasonably well. With ski technology these days I would make a strong campaign for all mountain rockered telemark ski as the way to go. The turn initiation is amazingly easy and quick in softer snow and you do not loose much in performance on the hardpark. As a 12yr pinhead and former Vail Ski Patroller I have tried lots of different setups.
-Now Im itching for some snow and its mid August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
Ok, I want to get some new skis this year, read lots of great info on the Volkl Mantra ski(not so interested any more, made in China, I could rant about this, but will not, but really disapointed in Volkl).
Will be mounted with Hammer heads(only way to fly)
So has any Pin heads here in the Rising sun skiied or demo or has a set of Rockered skis that work well for every thing( I have in the past believe that you need a quiver, But my old Atomic's come close to a one quiver ski).
I know we have a few pin head around and I do want to ski more this winter than the past. I wish I had the time and money to do what I did in my 20's and 30's, where skiing and climbing was more a part of my life.
Maybe when I win the Lotto
I also hope to ski with a few folks this coming winter.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hey Robbie,

I am on Black Diamond Verdicts from 2008. They are really really great. very turny in the bumps and hold a great line in all conditions. Pretty stout, which is surprising how turny they are.

They were written up in many of the mags as the testers choice.

I am in G3 bindings and they are crap, imho..The skis are too much for them and I have broken them twice.

Hammerheads are by far superior, just been spending all my money on off-road stuff.

If it were me, I would make 2 phone calls. I would call the folks at the BentGate in Golden, as they are super knowledgeable and pretty much a teleshop in the winter..Also I would call Jen at the Alpineer in Crested Butte.

Jen has been my personal tester/shopper for tele skis the last 7 seasons and she knows her stuff.

I found a pair of the Verdicts on line a few months ago and almost pulled the trigger but mine are not in that bad of shape because I only have a handful of days on them the last two seasons..
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 08-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Wincher

Default hey Robbie

I work for Vail ski resort and am always looking for people to go skiing with. I don't tele (am on twin tips) but pretty much enjoy going anywhere on the mountain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frc7DegDuxk
Old 08-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Trail Ready

I tele the Mantra right now and love them. They are my one ski quiver and I lived in Breck for 10 years. I have heard great things about rockered skis, but even out here, you still need to take a groomer home. ;-)

Mine are 184 with rottafellas if you want to take them for a spin when the snow flies.

K
Old 08-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

hmm, I see a Silverton run brewing for the RS skiers in 2010/11......
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 08-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Robbie, you might also want to consider ski instructing at one of the resorts...You really only have to do 1-2 days a week, you will get smokin bro deals on gear, you don't have to be certified right out of the gate, as long as you are working toward that..Family skis for free, you ski for free at sister facilities....

With your background in growing up in Alaska, over landing/Lead driver training/First aid and Trail Teams, and responsible family guy, You fit the demographics really well for that..Actually you could do ski patrol rather well but I am not sure you get the same family benefits..

I coached and instructed snowboarding at Winter Park for 8 seasons. I worked in the comp center, ski school and buffalo programs.. I would be happy to introduce you to the folks a Winter Park, if your interested.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 08-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

I've been skiing on rossi t4's and axl's and megabangs/g3's for the last number of years (I don't think either of those are considered rockered); before I decided to stick with them I was gonna go with some of the icelantic's, mostly because they are made in denver and I wanted to keep the business local. Plus they also have some nice fat skis and in recent years are now in a reasonably long length (I ski a 195)
Old 08-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris sandstorm FJ View Post
I'm in. Skied there last season...loved it.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris sandstorm FJ View Post
Depending on timing (baby due in mid-november) I would be in on this. No tele for me but I don't discriminate
http://www.coloradolandcruisers.org

86 4runner