Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

Cool, thanks for all the hints. I would love to do a Silverton Run, but want to be in shape for that.
In looking at skis, I see a bunch of new names, Icelandic was one. I will need look more out of the big box companies I see.
Chris, I did the ski patrol stuff at a small resort in Cal when I was going to school( 3 years, lots of First aide practice). First pin head to pass Far West cert's in the early 90's. Did my ski test at Mammoth Mt under the gondola. It was a hoot. Ski patrol is fun, but with the way most patrols are treated, low pay, demand a bunch of time and most really do not get to ski as much, it was not worth the time(IMHO). Better to pay to ski(at least for me, time for fun is valuable).
teaching may be a thing, Maybe.
Anyhow, I know winter is a bit off yet, but the other day temps got down to the 40's here at the house and it started me thinking. I have already started hiking the hill behind the house to work on legs and breathing(nice 800 vert hill).
Not trying to make winter come early, but want to start planning it to have some fun this winter.
Again, thanks for the info and the offers to take your ski for a ride some time.
I also will be up for BC some this year, I have old Orthovox(real old, 80's stuff). Will be looking to get a new version of something that works with the mordern stuff.
Again any info on new Beacons would be welcomed.
Robbie
Old 08-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

Dave do not discount how you ski or your equipment, it is about the passion(commitment and getting out to have fun), and what you bring to your experience, I have seen you write about your passion for skiing (loveland especially). I look forward to skiing with a many of you this year.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Sounds good, your a natural for the resort jobs..When you decide if it is for you again.. I liked it when my 16 year old was younger because we were on the hill every week for years..But I stopped for just what you mentioned quality time/fun with the family.

Melinda and I noticed a slight change a few mornings ago, nice and cool..We looked at each other at said "hmm, fall is coming!" My favorite time of year.

For Beacons, I have the first version of the DTS tracker by BCA, seems like a lot of Beacons have gone in their direction of signal modulation and directional find features.

There is a newer version out, as well. You can use mine anytime you want.

Maybe we could get a group together sometime and head over to second Creek off of Berthoud, train with our beacons and check out snow conditions, slabs, wind load, etc..

Do you have skins? Dumb question, I would bet money you do..
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 08-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Rising Sun Member

Robbie:

The biggest (and by FAR the best) ski bums I know are my Aunt and Uncle in Pagosa Springs. They always had a pretty nice quiver for all they did. Two or three years ago they ditched everything and each own a set of Workstinx. They use them for backcountry, cross country, and of course free-heeled hippy-stickin'

And if you're interested in maybe doing the ski instructor thing a touch closer to home, my sister did that for quite a while at Breckenridge and Eldo, and still does Eldo part time (or did last year). I'm sure I could get you some folks to talk to there...

I'm not sure if I can justify spending the money on a pass anywhere this year, so I very well may be playing the Berthoud card a LOT this year. Hey, if it was good enough for my grandparents back in the day...

It is indeed getting to be that time of year...

Dan
Old 08-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

You really don't want a full rocker like pontoon in anything less than knee, waist deep. the partial rocker in the tip is nice and akin to what early fat skis were to skinny skiis. They will work well in any condition.

Check out iclandic nomad or pilgrim, made right here in denver.
TLCA#4180
Old 08-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Rising Sun Secretary

I ski th Mantras alpine, great one-quiver ski, but mine re still German made ones. I tele the Volkl T-Roll and it works great. Most of my skiing is at Loveland. I have a pair of twice used El Hombre teles and they are great in the deep and steep, but for my 220# are not enough for the groomers, so I'll be craigslisting them. Another good tele shop in Denver is Confluence Kayak (they go tele for the winter season). They have some Mantras from last year cheap, as well as hammerheads and other good gear. Might be worth a visit. They are right next to Vitamin Cottage at Platte Street and 15th, just across the river from downtown.
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 08-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

My quiver of one is K2 Super Stinx with Rottafella releasable bindings. I love the skis. The bindings... not so much. After doing some damage to my left knee last year, I'm wondering how this season will shape up. Hopefully the tele skis will get some use but if the knee doesn't cooperate, the snowboard might end up being the primary snow tool.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 08-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
You really don't want a full rocker like pontoon in anything less than knee, waist deep.
x2. I was strongly considering going with the shaman from icelantic because its got both a very fat tip, and does well in the hardpack. I ski mostly BC in RMNP, and the snow most days is bulletproof. Too much rocker on that stuff would be painful.

If you haven't checked it out the telemarktips website occasionally has some good reviews and good forum posts, though most are completely off topic. Got to ski with the guys that run TT's a few years back in Mamoth...it was a hoot.

As for beacons, an upgrade definitely sounds like a good idea. I upgraded my Ortovox M2's to Pieps DSP a few years back, and have been happy with the DSP. I'm not up on the newest tech, but for the price I'd take a hard look at the tracker 2.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris sandstorm FJ View Post
hmm, I see a Silverton run brewing for the RS skiers in 2010/11......
Oh yeah I am in, that's if you let in a token snowboarder! Don't dig the terain parks yo, guess to old, I like to cruise the pow pow

While we are at it Wolf Creek too

______
Old 08-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Wincher

I'm in for a silverton or wolf creek day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frc7DegDuxk