Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Ultraguage

So, there's a thread for the ultraguage started on Mud. Looks very tempting as I've been wanting a scanguage for a while but haven't had the cash (especially after my last Cdan order).

I'm kinda thinking of trying it out, but I don't have a paypal account (don't want one) and I'm not gonna enter in my CC info to that site.

So...figured I'd throw this out there if anyone with a paypal account is thinking of ordering one, and would be willing to order 2, I'll pay cash plus a 6pack so I don't have to sign up for paypal. Yes even though I work with computers for a living I am a bit paranoid about most online financial stuff

Corey

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...ml#post5810188
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

Currently would run about 60 bucks and the offer is good for another 2 days.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Did you order one? I have the Scangauge II but I've seen several threads on this thing now and wonder how it works.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

No I pansied out. I figure for an extra 10 bucks I can wait to see how the reviews come back on mud. If its looks decent its still only 80 bucks or whatnot and a registration with paypal.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

PayPal is pretty harmless Corey - Many of us have been using it for years with no problems.

The only problem I've ever had has been with their "dispute" process and trying to get $$ back from a bum seller. In the end I reverted to disputing the PayPal charge with my credit card company
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 08-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

I use paypal for every transaction online ebcauee they have there buyers backs ! If u dispute a calim they contact the seller and he has like 24-48 hours to respond to paypal or paypal will give you your money back on there pocket. And then charge the seller so that the next time he/she logs in. They have a fee they have to pay. (or something along those lines) I've never had Issuee getting my money or item from a seller when using paypal.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

[rant on]

Don't put too much faith in the dispute process...At least in my case it was like

Scenario: You buy a lot of stuff from one ebay seller that they "combine" into one shipment. Not only is a fair amount of the stuff broken crap (despite their auction description) but they don't ship one of the items. Seller agrees, in writing via email, that the stuff they sold was crap and the description was bad and that they failed to send one of the items. Then seller stops replying after stating they would refund $$ for the crap and the non-shipped items.

So, I approach PayPal to dispute the claim after the seller stopped responding and didn't follow through with their promises via email. PayPal "investigates" and states they can do nothing until I have a tracking number showing I have shipped back the item that was never shipped to me in the first place - This goes on for over a month and despite forwarding them copies of the emails from the company etc. as proof. And you can forget about actually talking to someone intelligent.

Bottom line IMO is to ALWAYS use a CC when using PayPal with an unknown party because in the end it was my CC company that got me back my money, not PayPal. IMO PayPal was more interested in continuing their good relationship (and money flow from) this large company than they were with my dispute.

[/rant off]
TLCA #17037

:

Old 08-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

Maybe what I need to do is go to Safeway, buy one of those "gift credit cards", pay the few dollars in fee, and use that to buy it. Benefit would be there would be no stolen card, no paypal, etc. Downside is contesting that charge would not be viable if for some reason the product was not shipped or defective.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

PayPal works just fine...seriously - I'm still using it despite what happened I'm just a lot more careful of who I buy from.
TLCA #17037

:

Old 08-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Back on track, anyone in RS use the Ultragauge yet?
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

I ordered one over the weekend. I'll give it a shot when I get it. Or give it to Robbie to let him put it through its paces.

Anybody wanna make a gauge with me? I would like to make something that pushes a wireless network and then people could just use their phones to connect and page through the system.

I think we could save money on not having an LCD which has to be half the cost. Use a puny little microcontroller that costs $1.12. Just need a chip that does the networking and I think they hafta to be very cheap cuz I can get a complete wireless router (with power supply) for $25.

I looked at the OBDII spec and it looks really simple. I would need an EE to build the prototype and cable. The cool thing I think is the thing would do the OBDII stuff AND it would set up a LAN in your car. With a little bit of effort, it could be configured as a router when there is another network present. I also wonder what we could do to support some OBDI features? I'd share the cost of building a prototype if anyone is interested.

Since the interface is essentially going to be a web server, it could possibly serve all sorts of things if there were enough persistent memory (SD slot?).

Don't think we would get rich off it but you never know, it might pay some bills.