Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

I've also thought about the same thing, though not via wireless but instead just obd2 via usb cable to iphone. Looks like for a non-ee like me it would be pretty tough to make such a cable. However, after consulting google I came across this link:

http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/

Not cheap to go that route, as its 150 for the wireless transmitter, and then 40 bucks for the app. Still, at a grand total of 190 its not horrible. Though would be nice to figure out how to make one of the wireless transmitters. I like the idea of using the iphone instead of another screen.

The one thing I really liked about the ultragauge was the ability to set alarms. Looks like Rev may do "redlines" for some gauges.

What all do you think would be involved in creating a wireless transmitter for obd2? (As an afterthought, the one thing I didn't like about a number of these gauges was pulling power from the obd plug. I wonder how hard it would be to get 12v say from the cig lighter instead of the power pin from obd plug, such that when you turn off the car you kill power to the unit, be it a ultra guage or a wireless controller. That way you can leave it plugged in, but not have wireless on all the time. Or drain your battery if you leave town. )
Old 08-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

This product you found is integrated nicely with an iPhone app. I'm more interested in simply serving up an http get/post interface and let somebody, anybody develop Android or iPhone apps around that.

I think the h/w could be done pretty cheap. If you think about the router in your house that costs $38 at BestBuy, I'm intending almost the same thing. It has a microcontroller in it because it serves the little web interface that you use to set it up. The car app could be even cheaper because it doesn't have all those CAT5 interfaces. Now the cable for the OBDII is something different that may drive cost but that price point is right in line with what it *should* be.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Rising Sun Commander

two thumbs up for the Ultraguage.. I ordered one last weekend, it arrived today in time to toss in in the 80 and drive to the meeting. Within 2 blocks I was watching RPM's and intake air temps.. few things I haven't figured out yet, but I like it so far, some useful info and it's pretty simple to plug and play.. doubtful I'll leave it in any one vehicle all the time, it's neat how easy it is to install and mount, everything's included. So far so good, I'm liking this thing.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-02-2010, 01:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Tim

I think these and the Scangauge units are worth it just for the ability to monitor water temps. Price wise the Ultragauge seems to be a great value.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 09-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

After seeing Nakman's Ultragauge last night - literally I could read the screen from my truck while he was parked next to me. I put my order in this morning.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941