Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 08-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Wincher

Default sdrawkcaB gnidaeR

OK so backwards reading from Mr. Wells book didn't score me any points with the wife.

Story:
Buena heading to Denver or (Hwy 24/285) via 371, 375, 375A, 311, semi new to the area, map does not show all of the roads that intersect with the main road, storm rolling in, wife is a little skeptical about wheeling, easy drive for the most part. Something just didn't connect between the map, the map description and my wife. and then me! The mileage log doesn't help if you make several wrong turns.

Reading Backwards from a description is a little more challenging for some then others.

We did get to see a lot of great area, but the bottom line is we were not prepared. Not enough investigation about our path. it was all on google map!
No compass, not that it would have helped at the time but it could have. The wife was a little scared. tensions were rising. Starting to rain, lightning, thunder and then steep ass descent with equal climb out at dusk, buy ourselves. What would you do?

It turns out we were not far from the intersection of 311 and 309 in the four mile area. At dusk, by ourselves, No radio, storm blowing in, I turned around and went back to Buena on a path that I knew.

And No... My recovery kit is not what it should be.

Chuckle as you will, I know I will!

Whats your story, what turned you from I can do it! to maybe I need a little more gear or better yet another rig in the group.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

I only had one, and it was a classic unprepared story. I took the 76 Scout 2 out for a hike west of Nederland my 2nd year in college. I'd been wheeling for 3 years in my yota, but my folks needed the truck for a year, and gave me the Scout, which was my car in high school.

Anyway, I thought I was pretty savvy, and good. Had a high-lift, shovel, and tow strap, but was out on my own. Got up the road, hiked, it rained, and on the way back, part of the road turned into a bog. Being confident, I roared into the bog section pedal down....

And ended up buried to the frame in muck.

6 hours of digging, highlifting off of the spare tire, and stacking logs, rocks, and dirt under the wheels, I made it the 15 feet I needed to get out, and got back on the road.

Last time I'll go through a mud hole if its possible to avoid, or without another vehicle.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 08-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper

Did not happen to me but a very close family member was out in his J__p with a buddy just tooling around before Moab. They came to a snow drift and looked at each other and said what the heck. He dumped the clutch and let it loose. Hit the drift so hard it put them threw ther seatbelt. Came to a dead stop. Now stuck and did not have any gear but a empty cooler and bottle caps to dig themselves out they had to wait till the snow melted enough to get them free. It was not a few minutes from what i heard..... No matter what pack gear when you go out....
TLCA #19056
08 TT FJC
82 Scrambler (Scraps)
81 Scrambler (Sassy)
02 1500HD
69 Maro... next project when the Jeeps get done.....
Old 08-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

1980. Thought the dirt road over Baxter Pass sounded like a good idea. Roughly Fruita to Rangely over the Book Cliffs. Didn't count on the rain. Rig was a stock 1980 HiLux long bed. Tires were 29 inch Michelin LTX. A great all season road tire. Not so in that pure clay mud indigenous to Western Colorado. Talk about slip-slidin away...maybe Paul Simon tried this in a previous life. Darn near drove off a cliff several times before we were able to retreat to Fruita. Guess I learned my tire lesson.

But is there more to recovery gear than Crash's 62?
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 08-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Wincher

Default Thanks for the stories

I appreciate the stories. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Keep them coming.

John,
Old 08-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Coming up behind your buddy on the trail who is calling for a strap and seeing this...and knowing you left your straps at home because this was going to be an easy run - oh, and your winch is INOP because you just hadn't found the time to get it fixed

Name:  Nakari3.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  99.5 KB

The next year seeing this and realizing that you had all of your recovery gear and your winch is working but you left all of your spare parts home because this was going to be an easy run

Name:  SchlegelOuch.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  106.1 KB

Easy run or not, bring your parts and recovery gear and try not to wheel alone if you can avoid it...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater