Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Stuck brake drum?

Working on replacing my wheel bearings, but currently stuck on getting the drum off.

Its rusted onto the axle flange. Its sitting with penetrating oil overnight, and got some oil prior to attempting to remove it.

So far, I've done the following:

Attempted the usual, remove with the threaded removal screw holes. The screws came out eventually, with all the rusted threads attached. The drum hasn't budged.

Tried pulling off the various rubber grommets on the back of the backing plate and using a punch to pound the drum off. Resulted in part of my punch remaining somewhere inside the assembly, and the rest in my hand.

Tried drilling a small hole on the edge of the backing plate to get to the edge of the drum with another punch. No dice.

Its sitting in penetrating oil over night currently.

I will try to heat it sparingly tomorrow, unless there are better ideas, but burning asbestos dust really doesn't appeal to me.

I'm half way tempted to start cutting, as a used drum from the yard isn't likely to be too expensive. However, this is thick steel, and before I go medieval on it, and potentially hit sensitive, more expensive parts inside, I thought I'd check for better options.

I'd like to ditch this axle eventually in favor of something 80 series-ish. Therefore, I don't want to dump a ton of money into the guts other than making it safe (it needs new bearings pretty badly).

Thoughts?

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 08-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Have you backed off the brake shoes, If not then do(so the heat will not smoke the shoes.
Heat and a big hammer, more hammer if you are not wanting to save the drum. If you want to save the drum, more heat.
New drums from Boulder Toyota should not set you back too far or even some of the cheap Chinese made stuff is up to min specs.
Heat here is your friend as well as the big hammer(wear ear plugs when banging on it).
Old 08-24-2010, 07:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

Robbie, thanks!

Generation Dead
Old 08-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Yep, I use heat too. Because material thermal expansion is inch per inch per degree temperature change, the inches of the center hole of the drum are more inches than the axle flange, so the drum expands more for a given amount of temperature rise than the axle flange does. This same principle is also why heat helps to loosen stuck fasteners.

Many Land Cruiser drums have 8 x 1.25 holes that you can just screw in an 8mm bolt and it will push the drum right off. Not sure if mini trucks/runner drums have these too.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 08-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

They have holes too, but it looks like the holes got bigger when Issac tried to make them budge.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah, don't forget to retract the shoes Isaac. After a while there gets a nice groove in the drum that makes the shoes about as good a retaining ring as can be.

I wouldn't worry too much about heating the brake pads, asbestos is good about tolerating it afterall. The heat is probably more problem for the paint and grease in the area than the shoe material. You do want to be mindful about breathing in the brake dust, though.

BTW, factory mini truck drums have the holes for extraction, although some aftermarket ones do not.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 08-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks dudes!

Like I said in my first post, I used the 8mm bolts first. The threads were rusty and thus just pulled straight out of the metal, leaving me with stripped holes.

I may not have the shoes retracted far enough. I just did them a little bit, thinking that was all they needed. I will pull them back as far as the adjuster will let me, and try again.

Thanks!

Generation Dead
Old 08-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Oh and don't forget to release the parking brake.

Do I need to explain why I might mention this? That was a forehead slapper after fiddling around for a few minutes...

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 08-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

LOL! My brother did that once Dave!

No, the axle is removed from the truck already. No parking brake attached anymore.

Generation Dead
Old 08-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

The first time I did the rear drums on my 40, they were rusted on too. PB blaster, thumping around the drum with a BFH and more PB blaster eventually broke them loose.

'85 FJ60