Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Lifted

Default Headers

Tomorrow after I get off work, the long awaited adventure begins! Putting headers on my 3.4 liter 4runner. Been lugging these things around for almost 2 years now. Read all the write ups, bought all the parts (I hope), sprayed all the liquid wrench, and now it's time. Supposedly this is gonna be a major beetch... getting the old ones off at least. Really hoping I can get it done within the weekend (with time to get beers on Saturday night). I'm skeered!

I'm gonna attempt my first write up for this as well, complete with pictures. Wished I had done that for my locker retrofit, manual hub install, and lift cuz I learned how to do all of it by reading other peoples write ups on sites like these.

Oh the bloody knuckles are afoot! er... a hand!
1996 4runner Limited, retrofitted E-locker, manual hubs, front King Coilover 2" lift, rear Landcruiser 3" lift, drop panhard bracket, 2000 4runner center console/e-brake conversion, K&N air intake, throttle body spacer, OBX headers.

Stay classy Colorado!

Last edited by 4runner luv; 01-26-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Lifted

Default Header Install Part I

Name:  Headers 1.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  63.0 KB

Okay, so first let me say... get everything ready. I made so many frickin' trips to the parts store and hardware store. I prolly coulda got this done in the allotted 2 days had I not had to walk to get all my parts and tools as I needed them.

In addition to the standard tools; sockets, extensions, wrenches, liquid wrench, the following are a must:

1) Sawzall - allegedly you can maneuver the stock crossover pipe out, but I couldn't even come close. Was way easier to cut it.
Name:  P 024.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  94.9 KB

2) Impact wrench.

3) Wobble sockets, universal joint adapters (all impact quality)

4) Double bendy socket wrench (yes, that's the technical name, ha, ha). It has two joints on the handle... I couldn't have made it without this.
Name:  P 014.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  85.4 KB

5) 12 - 10mm, 1.25 thread pitch, 35mm long, class 10.9 flanged hex head bolts. These are to replace the studs... again, allegedly you can use the studs, but I sure couldn't get headers over them.

6) Copper RTV and anti-sieze.

7) Female torx set (for extracting the studs). Though it can be done fairly easily by tightening two nuts in opposite directions on the stud, then using them to ratchet out the stud.

and just in case...

wouldn't be a bad idea to have a tap and die set, a bolt extractor, and a heli-coil set on hand.
1996 4runner Limited, retrofitted E-locker, manual hubs, front King Coilover 2" lift, rear Landcruiser 3" lift, drop panhard bracket, 2000 4runner center console/e-brake conversion, K&N air intake, throttle body spacer, OBX headers.

Stay classy Colorado!

Last edited by 4runner luv; 01-26-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Cool socket wrench!
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Headers

When I put a Tri-y on my 20r 4 cyl. I needed a right angle drill and 5 Heli-coils. May you have better luck/skill.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Female Torx would also help to remove the studs, this will make it easier to remove the old exhaust manifolds. good luck
Old 09-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Lifted

Oh.... I spose I wasn't clear. It is DONE! Came out pretty good too. I am just doing the write up now.

Dean,
I put a header on my old 22r back when I was in college, and had to do the heli-coil bit on two studs. Yeah, that sucked donkey balls. Luckily, I didn't run into that problem this time. Spose an extractor set, heli-coils, and tap set, would also be good to have on hand before starting though.

Powder,
Yeah, the female torx would have been nice, but when I started, I thought I was keeping the studs. Too hard to get the headers over them in the tight quarters, so I went to hardened bolts instead. It really wasn't that bad extracting them by tightening 2 nuts to each other on each stud, then removing that way. But yeah, I should add female torx to my list of tools to have on hand before starting.

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Lifted

Okay, next thing to do is remove everything that's in the way.

Oh first... of course liquid wrench the hell out of every single bolt the day before... maybe even every couple days, 2 or 3 times, before starting.

On the driver side ya gotta disconnect the vacuum hoses, throttle cable, kickdown cable, fuel supply line, and return line. Ya don't actually have to remove them, just disconnect one end and pull them out of the way.
Name:  P 001.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  110.4 KB

It is a bit of a pain, but overall easier to remove the steering spline/shaft. I couldn't get the spline part off, but all the connections/brackets come off without too much work.

Bend back the swirly brake line (I know, my terminology is professional as it gets).

Take the alternator off... I just left the cable on, and set it down in the engine bay.
Name:  P 008.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  50.2 KB

Remove oil dipstick tube.

Remove heat shields from exhaust manifold.

You might be tempted at this point to remove the manifold itself, but it is easier to unbolt the crossover pipe and downpipe with the manifolds still securely mounted, so they don't flop around.

Now the passenger side:

Remove air intake assembly.

Disconnect brake line bracket from frame.

Bend back swirly brake line.

Remove transmission fluid dipstick tube.

Name:  P 007.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  86.2 KB

Remove exhaust manifold heat shield.

Name:  P 002.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  99.2 KB

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Lifted

Not that anyone is anxiously awaiting, but I will get back to this.

Gotta get back in a happy frame of mind to do a good write up... and as per my "trailer" post... I'm in a bad mood.

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Lifted

Passenger side manifold off.

Name:  P 018.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  76.4 KB

Driver side off.

Name:  P 021.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  59.2 KB

Crossover off. I am told it is possible to get it out without cutting. I tried everything I could think of. Took transmission mounts off and lowered and raised tranny/engine to create space between the firewall, but never could quite get it.

If I had to do it over again, after experiencing getting the new crossover in, I think I would have just removed the plenum... probably could have got it out intact, and had a way easier time tightening the new crossover flange bolts.

Name:  P 025.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  135.6 KB

Passenger side header in place. Very easy.

Name:  P 026.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  108.1 KB

Piece #1 of driver side header in place. NOT easy. Getting it to wrap around behind the engine was a pain. Again, plenum off may have been the way to go. Notice, steering shaft detached. The extra inch of space was absolutely necessary.

Name:  P 027.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  100.1 KB

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Lifted

2nd driver side header piece in. Studs still in... was before I figured out that bolts are way easier.

Name:  P 028.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  110.4 KB

2nd piece with bolts in. Notice the wrap around behind the engine. These pieces mate up together between the block and the firewall. See the stock photo (very 1st pic) to see what I mean. Sorry, couldn't get a good pic in such a tight space.

Name:  P 029.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  62.7 KB

Okay, now skip a bunch of steps because I suck at taking pictures. Definitely need a 2nd person to keep records for this. Everything else is bloody knuckles, swearing, hitting headers really hard, and creating a maze of wobble sockets, extensions, and universal joints to tighten stuff up.

It won't fit together, and for that matter will seem so far out of wack, that you will think it's not made for a 4runner. Basically, just gotta put everything together loose and go back and forth from all the bolts, "sucking" it together.

In some cases, I had to get ridiculously long bolts to get it close enough to put the actual bolts in.

Another tip, don't use any of the supplied bolts... use hardened (class 10.9) bolts. I snapped a bunch of the supplied flange bolts.

Name:  P 039.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  105.2 KB

Had a buddy weld 'er up for me. Used a piece of the original down pipe to get the slight bend needed to go into the cat. Someday I will do a new exhaust that doesn't flow so poorly as too probably negate the headers.

Name:  P 040.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  101.7 KB

Made a small spacer from a piece of aluminum so the heat shield for the cable (transmission kick down?) would fit.

Name:  P 044.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  61.0 KB

Stay classy Colorado!