Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Lifted

What to do? Tranny dipstick won't fit?

Name:  P 041.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  65.4 KB

Got a 2" long sleeve and 2 1/2" bolt at Ace to make an extension. Painted it purdy metallic silver (cuz that's all I had).

Name:  P 038.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  33.2 KB

Also have to do some creative bending with the tranny dipstick tube to get it to fit.

Name:  P 045.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  132.9 KB

Also, used rtv on the oil dipstick tube when I reinstalled it. The O-ring seemed pretty compressed and loose. Vuala! Appears to have solved my leak problem. Had a slow leak that I couldn't trace. Prolly, from where the oil dipstick tube goes into the block. Was leaking down the side of my oil pan.
1996 4runner Limited, retrofitted E-locker, manual hubs, front King Coilover 2" lift, rear Landcruiser 3" lift, drop panhard bracket, 2000 4runner center console/e-brake conversion, K&N air intake, throttle body spacer, OBX headers.

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Lifted

So, that was prolly the lamest write up ever. Half my pics were out of focus.

Definitely need a helper for a job like this. Had to build complex (to my simple brain) systems of extensions, wobble sockets, and universal joints, that would have been way more effective and easy had there been a second set of hands to provide fulcrum points and the like.

Went back and re-tightened all the header bolts... most were extremely loose. Torquing them would have been nice, but I couldn't get a socket on most of them, only a wrench. Don't think I have had a single leak yet though. That has been kinda surprising.

Next up: converting my 96-98 MAF sensor to a 99-02 for increased air flow. Just involves swapping the order of 4 of the 5 pins in the plug in (based on the writeup I found). Not 100% sure it will work, but got the parts cheap, and it's easy to switch back.
1996 4runner Limited, retrofitted E-locker, manual hubs, front King Coilover 2" lift, rear Landcruiser 3" lift, drop panhard bracket, 2000 4runner center console/e-brake conversion, K&N air intake, throttle body spacer, OBX headers.

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to 74fj40 Send a message via MSN to 74fj40

Notice any better throttle response with the obx headers? Or even more power?

1997 Honda civic DX( all stock DD)
1972 Toyota FJ40(4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.
1967 Porsche 912(100% stock)

[/font]
Old 01-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Lifted

Not so much on the throttle response. Power seems noticeable when going up a hill or something and then trying to accelerate. It was a little sluggish with the bigger tires and no regearing. Think the headers are more of a high rpm thing.

Also, there is kind of a weld bead or bulge (lip) on the inside of the downpipe, where the big flange is welded on (just before it bolts to the cat)... I'm thinking when I redo the exhaust, of taking that off and having it ground down, cuz it seems awfully restrictive. Maybe that will help.

Honestly, probably not worth the trouble unless you are going with a supercharger... I have heard that headers make more of a difference that way.

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to 74fj40 Send a message via MSN to 74fj40

Having high flow exhaust and intake are definitely critical with a forced induction setup. A way larger hp increase than an n/a motor. Now you just have a reason to Go supercharged

1997 Honda civic DX( all stock DD)
1972 Toyota FJ40(4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.
1967 Porsche 912(100% stock)

[/font]