Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default flights

anyone recommend a good sight to search for flights. i'm working on my xmas plans and, while i will most likely drive for financial and sanity reasons, would like to consider flying for weather related reasons.

going from denver to sun valley and apparently, the airlines are still thinking only the rich and famous fly there because most flights i've found start at just under $500 (with taxes). it would be half that to drive there and back, but when i went a couple of years ago, i had to deal with traveling in a blizzard and the alternator crapping out on clampy just outside of snowville utah, which btw, is smack between nowhere and absolutely f'n nowhere.

although that is the same trip that i got clampy to do 100mph and that made it all worthwhile
ige tlca #1431
Old 08-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

I just know of the typical ones:

Orbitz
Expedia
Priceline

To be honest though I've never found that any of these have great deals vs. just going direct to an airlines site like Frontier or SouthWest etc.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-27-2010, 01:01 AM

I use kayak.com. it is an aggregator for all the sites like travelocity. I also use the southwest ding prrogram which shows you really low fares but that may not apply to your situation as it is usually big towns that people are flying to.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:43 AM
Rising Sun Webmaster

Kayak is a good, all inclusive sight (except for southest).
Old 08-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
anyone recommend a good sight to search for flights. i'm working on my xmas plans and, while i will most likely drive for financial and sanity reasons, would like to consider flying for weather related reasons.

going from denver to sun valley and apparently, the airlines are still thinking only the rich and famous fly there because most flights i've found start at just under $500 (with taxes). it would be half that to drive there and back, but when i went a couple of years ago, i had to deal with traveling in a blizzard and the alternator crapping out on clampy just outside of snowville utah, which btw, is smack between nowhere and absolutely f'n nowhere.

although that is the same trip that i got clampy to do 100mph and that made it all worthwhile

Air Gorilla, Cheap Fares and cheapoair are often ones I have found to be cheapest. Also, check Frontiers site directly as they often will have uber cheap flights that don't show up on the other sights!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Ige:

Flying into KSUN (Sun Valley, ID) is very limited in general. There are only two scheduled air carriers who fly there, Horizon and SkyWest. Horizon from Seattle (maybe Portland) and SkyWest from Salt Lake City. Horizon sells their own tickets, or from Alaska Airlines (they are a wholly owned subsidiary of the Alaska Air Group), and SKyWest sells their tickets through Delta.

If there is weather at all then the SkyWest EMB-120 Brasilia can get weight limited really, really easily and start bumping passengers. The Horizon Q400 on the other hand will almost never be weight limited.

From an airline standpoint, Sun Valley is the "other" Aspen. Lots of wealthy people there, and an airport that is SERIOUSLY limiting in terms of aircraft choice. For those reasons I doubt you'll ever see tickets fall below $500 round trip (which actually sounds like a cheap price to me).

Frontier won't have anything. Our friendly Indianapolis-based carrier is parking the only plane they have that MIGHT be able to serve Sun Valley, and have never served it in the past. The closest you'll get on Frontier is.... Jackson Hole. We're even cutting Boise from the schedule (might have cut it this month).

Dan
Old 08-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

good to know, thanks all

and yes, $500 is cheap, it was over $700 last time.
ige tlca #1431
Old 08-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Check the Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, etc, find a flight you like, and then check the airline's site. Often its a few $$ cheaper on the airline's site because of service fees.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

First of all, if Southwest flies anywhere near there, that will probably get you your best price. And you have to go to their site.

Believe it or not, Bing is looking pretty good these days. I like how they let you vary your days.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccumber View Post
First of all, if Southwest flies anywhere near there, that will probably get you your best price. And you have to go to their site.

Believe it or not, Bing is looking pretty good these days. I like how they let you vary your days.
driving definitely is better than southwest. i'd probably get there sooner. they couldn't take off on time if their life depended on it judging by my last six (and last ever)flights on southwest
ige tlca #1431