Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Wood Stove insert.

We are getting ready to have a wood stove insert installed into an existing fireplace. Anyone have any experience with Avalon Wood Stoves. The Pendleton model is the only one we have found so far that will fit into our fireplace. Its pretty small but anything will be better than the open fireplace is now.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Rising Sun Commander

No experience with Avalon. our last Broomfield house we had one installed and my only recommendation is get one that sticks out onto the hearth, not one that's recessed all the way in the existing fireplace. It will put out more heat if it can radiate both in the front and on top, if it's just in the front you'll have the fan on a lot. At least that was my experience, hth...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

this one will stick out and have the blower option
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

No exp. with your model but you eill notice such a difference, you'll love it. Ours heats nearly 2500 sq' and that is with pine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 08-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

I need a big difference. I'm tired of buying 300+ gallons of propane per month to heat the house.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I need a big difference. I'm tired of buying 300+ gallons of propane per month to heat the house.
Holly cow Have you had Excel come out and do a leak test? It is a great thing to do. We found leaks that we never even thought would be there.

If they offer it I would do it ASAP.

Good for you to switching to wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 08-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Unless you have an endless supply of free firewood I would recommend getting a pellet stove insert instead.

We have the Winslow pellet stove, it's our 3rd one (3 different houses) and they work great and last forever.

Our house is 3,000+ sq ft and we heat the entire house, all winter long using only the pellet stove. We leave the gas furnace set on 50 degrees as a backup when were gone but our gas bill runs around $50 per month in the dead of winter. Keeping in mind we have a gas cooking stove and gas water heater, thats pretty good.

The Winslow stove will burn 1 40 lb bag of pellets per 24 hours at the heat level we run it on. It works just like your furnace where it lights itself and turns itself off depending on heat requirements. I can go 7-10 days and then I use a shop vac to vacuum out the ash.

I buy 5 tons of pellets from Home Depot every year in Sept, that costs around $1,000. I start burning them as soon as it's cold enough to want heat at night and they will last me until the 1st of May.

The other nice thing is they are near zero pollution especially compared to a wood stove. The burn so hot and clean they are the only type of stove you can get a permit for these days in most of the major metro areas.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 08-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

I can get national forest fire wood permits at $10 per cord. Its a lot of work but I kind of enjoy it. Plus I've got a few more cords of standing dead on the property when even I want it. Call it emergency wood

I might be off a little on my consumption in gallons, I just did not want to post the dollar amount. We ave a 500 gallon tank that is regularly 1/2 empty or more per month in the winter. I could look into a leak but I'm not loosing it all summer. So I doubt that is my problem. 3265 square feet worth of house, with 9'/10'/24' ceilings depending on the room. Crappy windows. Can't comment on the insulation as I did not build the place. But I'm sure its nothing special.

I'll be happy if this wood stove cuts my propane bill in half. Any more will be even better.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

We put in a Jotul 550 Rockland insert last year. Tons better than just the regular fireplace, but it didn't put much of a dent in our natural gas heating bill. Maybe 30% savings.

I agree with Tim regarding getting an insert that sticks out further onto the hearth. Ours is flush and it doesn't put out nearly the same amount of heat as a freestanding unit and the blower needs to run while burning to circulate the heat. I recall Tim had a freestanding Quadrafire at his place in Evergreen and that thing seemed to crank the heat in comparison.

This week we're upgrading our 40 year old gas boiler to a higher efficiency model and getting some of the radiator lines in the house modified. Hopefully this will help decrease our winter gas consumption. We had a few $400+ bills the last three winters we've been here and we never turn the heat up past 65.

'85 FJ60
Old 08-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
We had a few $400+ bills the last three winters we've been here and we never turn the heat up past 65.
We're similar, although not nearly as cold here in town as you guys. Our heating bills can be $200 per month and we have a thermostat that goes up and down, 63 at night, 67 during morning & evening (the minimum to keep our second bathroom pipes from freezing). However, we put a pellet stove insert in our fireplace last fall and it actually did help our heating bills, around 20%, or roughly 10~15% after figuring in pellets. The electricity to run the fan didn't seem to make much dent in that bill.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler