Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Pellet stoves are great but like Randy said he pays a $1000 for the pellets. We thought about going that way but just did not want to pay and store the pellets.

Wood also cost us money but a lot less. I just split 3+ cords of wood for the winter for the total cost of $38.50 for the permits and about $30 for fuel driving to get it from the hills.

Extra costs of course are a chain saw, splitter and fuel+oil. So far we have had the fireplace for 5 years and it cuts our bill in half if not more. Plus the fact that we do not have to worry about what we set the thermostat at, always argued about that.

Randy, the new wood stoves have certain added items to them like ours has a catalytic converter so we can burn on red days. The newer ones burn even cleaner and are more efficient so you go through less wood.

I do have to give the pellet stoves their due, since you can set a thermometer and they work automatically they can keep your house on temp while you are gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 08-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

We considered pellets too, but it's hard to beat the ambiance of a fire.

here's the insert i installed last fall:

'85 FJ60
Old 08-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

can't argue the advantages of pellet stoves but if I have to spend a grand to fuel it what's teh point. I can save teh cost of the stove and just keep buying the propane.

Some time, sweat, and lets say $200 a year(permits, fuel, oil, new chain, whatever) for all the wood I need. So wood stove it is.

I just hope we can cut the propane bill in half. That way the stove pays for itself in a few years and we then start getting ahead.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-30-2010, 12:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

No don't mistake, I would go with a wood stove with a fan if I had access to enough fuel. Pellets are easier for us to get being at Home Depot and the stove place at the end of the block. We also live in the city and pellets are more dense, maximizing space. BTW our stove wasn't expensive but doesn't have a thermostat and so we just turn it on when it's chilly. I was just adding $0.02 that heating smaller spaces can help the energy budget. Our stove will pay itself off in about 4 years even at the cost of pellets.

Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist. -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 08-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
can't argue the advantages of pellet stoves but if I have to spend a grand to fuel it what's teh point. I can save teh cost of the stove and just keep buying the propane.

Some time, sweat, and lets say $200 a year(permits, fuel, oil, new chain, whatever) for all the wood I need. So wood stove it is.

I just hope we can cut the propane bill in half. That way the stove pays for itself in a few years and we then start getting ahead.
I heat my entire house 100% of the time with the pellet stove, not just a supplement when we get home. The $1000 worth of pellets heats the house from October 1 to May 1st. Thats $165 per month in pellets plus $50 max for a gas bill. $200 to $215 per month total in the middle of winter seems pretty reasonable to me. How much does 300 gallons of propane cost each month?

As far as storage the pellets are all stacked in a 4' x 10' area at about 5' high. Thats probably less space than 3 cords of wood and a lot less messy, plus that lasts the entire winter.

As far as ambiance the pellet stove has a glass front and you can see flames too. Nice thing about it is you fill it up once every 24 hours and forget it, everything else is automatic.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 08-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Randy, my main problem is I'm limited to the size of a unit I can fit into my existing zero clearance fireplace. I'm not starting from scratch. There is just no way I can install a unit big enough to heat my whole house wood or pellet without reconstructing the untire fireplace/mantel/chimney/etc.

Wood is cheap for me($30 month) and storage space is a non-issue.

My gas bill is just shy of 5 bills a month in the winter. I need to cut that in half.

If this were new construction I'd be going a much different direction.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 09-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
I need a big difference. I'm tired of buying 300+ gallons of propane per month to heat the house.
PER MONTHHHH

uh, do you have a 3 story house? or just a ton of windows?

you should be buying propane like very 2\3 months, 1.5\2 in the winter omg =O
Old 09-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Randy, my main problem is I'm limited to the size of a unit I can fit into my existing zero clearance fireplace. I'm not starting from scratch. There is just no way I can install a unit big enough to heat my whole house wood or pellet without reconstructing the untire fireplace/mantel/chimney/etc.

Wood is cheap for me($30 month) and storage space is a non-issue.

My gas bill is just shy of 5 bills a month in the winter. I need to cut that in half.

If this were new construction I'd be going a much different direction.
Understood but keep in mind my living room had a gas log fireplace in it that I removed and just inserted the pellet stove insert. How efficient it heats your entire house is also dependent on your floorplan layout and how well the heat distributes, etc.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 09-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
I can get national forest fire wood permits at $10 per cord. Its a lot of work but I kind of enjoy it. Plus I've got a few more cords of standing dead on the property when even I want it. Call it emergency wood

I might be off a little on my consumption in gallons, I just did not want to post the dollar amount. We ave a 500 gallon tank that is regularly 1/2 empty or more per month in the winter. I could look into a leak but I'm not loosing it all summer. So I doubt that is my problem. 3265 square feet worth of house, with 9'/10'/24' ceilings depending on the room. Crappy windows. Can't comment on the insulation as I did not build the place. But I'm sure its nothing special.

I'll be happy if this wood stove cuts my propane bill in half. Any more will be even better.
I think our house is 1000 or 2k ft.

that's a big @!S house...