Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Lifted

Default HELP! Headers

No nay never no more. Dewalt reciprocating saw took care of that problem in about 10 minutes. One of the better $100 I've spent.

So as per my previous post, I started in my 4runner 3.4 liter header install. Kind of surprisingly, I got all the nuts and bolts off and everything was fairly smooth... until... the dreaded cross over pipe. I have read write ups that swear it can me maneuvered out. I can't possibly see how. Maybe with a manual tranny, but definitely not with an auto. I tried lowering and raising the tranny as much as it would go in both directions to see if I could get clearance... nada. Only way I can see now is to cut off the collector end. I THINK it will clear then. No way I can get to it with my angle grinder. I'm thinking sawzall. Anybody live close to Wadsworth and I-70 wanna come over with their sawzall and cut this thing for me? Beer, money, women... whatever you want... well okay, I can't supply any women, but the other two for sure. I'm gonna look into going and buying one (gonna be a long walk to the hardware store), but if anyone is up for helpin' a brutha out, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks,
Shayn
1996 4runner Limited, retrofitted E-locker, manual hubs, front King Coilover 2" lift, rear Landcruiser 3" lift, drop panhard bracket, 2000 4runner center console/e-brake conversion, K&N air intake, throttle body spacer, OBX headers.

Stay classy Colorado!

Last edited by 4runner luv; 08-28-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

I live at 84th and wads. But it sounds like you got it fixed by getting a saw?

If not, I could swing by with mine tomorrow.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 08-29-2010, 02:35 AM
Lifted

Isaac,

I did get it out. Thanks so much for the offer.

If you are itchin' to help though; I tried real quick to see how hard it is going to be to get the new headers in, and it might be pretty difficult. Gonna remove the starter, a fuel line, the splined steering shaft, and try to hold my mouth just right, and hope they slide in, but I'm not real confident about it. A second set of eyes, and ideas would be welcome. If ya wanna stop by, there are some cold ones in it for ya. Also, if I get them in, and you weld, I would rather pay a fellow Rising Sunner than a shop to weld on the flange to the cat. Should be a pretty simple job, as I have the cat off. Just some thoughts.

Thanks again.
1996 4runner Limited, retrofitted E-locker, manual hubs, front King Coilover 2" lift, rear Landcruiser 3" lift, drop panhard bracket, 2000 4runner center console/e-brake conversion, K&N air intake, throttle body spacer, OBX headers.

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 08-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sorry, I some how missed this.

I spent the day working on a my wheel bearings, but if you need assistance, I can give you a hand.

I do weld, but the welder is up at my folks place, which is 45 minutes away. However, lots of other folks in the club who can zap that together for you, just post up a specific thread for it.

If you can't get the headers in, let me know. I do have torx heads for removing the exhaust studs, which can make getting things in a bit easeier.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 08-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Lifted

Thanks again Isaac,

I think I have a handle on it. I did have to remove the studs... wanted to stay with them, but headers wouldn't go on with them in... I got them out tightening two nuts together on each one, then ratcheting them out. Had to walk about 3 miles in all to procure a good set of grade 8 bolts, so that kinda killed the day. They are both on, and now I am battling getting the crossover pipe to line up. Probably would have made it during the weekend, had I had all the right tools and hardware... which I do now. As for the welding, it's the least of my worries. I can get her up and running without it... and there is a shop around the corner. All I'm worried about now is getting everything lined up so I can tighten it down... then I'm home free. Guess it will be bike to work week. Only about 2 miles each way and I could use the exercise.

All that said, an extra set of hands would be welcome... cuz at this point I don't know exactly how I'm gonna get bolts through everything and get it all sucked together. Prolly gonna be a leaky bastard.

Stay classy Colorado!