Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 10-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

With big changes in altitude you can get a small leak from the breather as it equalizes pressure. Just keep the can upright. I carry mine in a Hanna carrier. I have carrier them on the side without issue around town. But when I went up to the house +1500ft got a little drip.

But I would not carry any type of similar can on its side long term
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Corbet (or anyone else that has these): Did your LCI water cans come with a peculiar smell from the factory? I bought my 3 last fall but haven't used them yet. Had a plasticy smell when I got them, stored them open for a few months but its still there. I'm currently trying baking soda and water, but didn't know if others have had this issue and found solutions? I'm hopefully headed out to the maze next week and don't want to drink plastic water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
LCI Industries.

https://www.redcheetah.com/lci/item_...4-001871e34fe0

Scepter type water cans in OD green or desert tan. $18.99 buy 3 get fre shipping. I have 6 and they are great. No plastic taste even after months of storage. We keep ours full in case of power loss at the house. (Without power no well pump)
Old 03-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

I got mine from DS Tactical and it did not smell, I use it all the time.

You can borrow it if you want, I have 2 smaller ones I can use.

Yoru going to the maze next week??? I am jealous...Doll House??
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com

Last edited by Caribou Sandstorm; 03-12-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by coax View Post
Corbet (or anyone else that has these): Did your LCI water cans come with a peculiar smell from the factory? I bought my 3 last fall but haven't used them yet. Had a plasticy smell when I got them, stored them open for a few months but its still there. I'm currently trying baking soda and water, but didn't know if others have had this issue and found solutions? I'm hopefully headed out to the maze next week and don't want to drink plastic water
I don't recall an unusual plastic smell when new? No plastic taste in water. I use mine all the time to haul water from town. In the winter we have so much sediment in our well water that we can't use our under counter RO as it clogs the filters to quickly.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Trail Ready

I used bleach to help get rid of the plastic smell in my Scepters. I mix in a tablespoon with a full 5-gallon can of water, swish it around and let it sit overnight. Rinse with fresh water the next day.
2014 BMW R1200GS Adventure
Old 03-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

Cool thanks guys. If the baking soda doesn't work I may try the bleach. May also shoot LCI an email and just ask them if they have any ideas or if maybe there was a bad batch?? I had hoped it was just a manufacturing smell but it seems to persist and is fairly potent.

Thanks for the offer to borrow one of the jugs chris, but I think I'll be ok. I've got one 7 gallon dinky container plus a bunch of bottles that should suffice for the duration. If the permit fax actually went through, I'll be staying at teapot the first night in and then the wall for a few nights. Taking mountain bikes so we'll bike out to the dollhouse one day. Should be fun if the weather holds!
Old 03-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hope to see a post with your pic when you return! I am jealous...I am Only doing the Kokopelli next week..
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com