Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

Nice job on the Grizzly Lake photo Matt. I like how you framed that one.

So the big issue with the gatekeeper obstacle was the break over? Kinda looks like the obstacle is a mini hog back.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

We also had the pleasure of having a large tree fall across the trail just a few minutes before we arrived (according to a hiker that saw it fall) not too far from the lake. Since we weren't going to be turned back at this point (and we heard there were vehicles on the other side that needed rescuing ) we decided to clear the trail. Steve & Matt starting hacking away at it with a small but effective hatchet while Nick and I rigged a snatch block and chain to the Mule's winch. We used the winch to snap the tree in half where the cut was started, then we re-rigged the snatch blocks and pulled the large piece off of the trail. Great fun and good practice.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 09-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

It was cool to see what you can do with a winch and a couple of snatch blocks. The trunk of the tree only needed to be moved about 5 feet, but it was too heavy to lift.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Great pictures! Looks like a great time, other than Randy's break, sorry to here that man.

That's a trail i've always wanted to do. Think next year i'm gonna make it a point to get out and ride along as much as possible.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 09-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

How interesting that Grizzly is now worse than Iron Chest. Gatekeepers have a way of growing larger over time, really want to run this trail and camp at the lake.

Great shots
Old 09-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
How interesting that Grizzly is now worse than Iron Chest. Gatekeepers have a way of growing larger over time, really want to run this trail and camp at the lake.
You could probably get up the obstacle, Dave. You have more than 4" of lift and bigger than 35" tires, right?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Lifted

so did you guy s think grizzly was harder then ironchest? i ve found the key to getting up the first obstacle is in the middle to the right, place your tire on the big rock on pass side get your other tire up the ledge and dont stop all one hit you have to be lined up or youll bang your driver side rear control arm im unlocked also. Believe it or not but there is a old man that drives a 2wd chevy luv from the 80 s up that, havent seen him this summer, but have the last 2, said he s been driving this road forever and just goes up the far right? crazy to see it up at the lake
Old 09-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Now it looks like I'd go "belly up" for sure.

It looks like the top of the obstacle is dug out more. Plus there are usually a medium amount of rocks already stacked. I suppose that's whats gotten me over pretty easily in the past.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
You could probably get up the obstacle, Dave. You have more than 4" of lift and bigger than 35" tires, right?
I have 37's, but my lift is right at 4". Looks plenty doable, but pics are like that

I've wanted to run this trail for awhile, I like the fact that the gatekeeper is growing. That means better camping opportunities at the lake without risking as much rednecking.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Wincher

Great thread, looks like you had a great time minus one aw $(-)!#. I think I will leave that run for you all for another year or two. lilred may not do so well.