Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Wincher

Send a message via AIM to Haku
Default Need some help with 22re Starter Relay wire routing...

Hey guys,

I promise I have searched to death on this, on a bunch of different forums. I can't for the life of me figure out which wire goes from the Starter relay to the Starter itself. As far as I can tell, it goes into the firewall behind the fender, which then goes into the cab of the truck. From there I have no idea. I figured it might come out with the ECU harness, but I haven't seen anything like that. There are three plugs that don't have a home, but they don't seem like the right ones. They look like this...

Two that come out of the ECU harness near the intake plenum..

One that sticks out of the ECU harness but is very short....might have a jumper that I am missing

Otherwise, I can't find the plug that goes into the starter. I don't have anything to reference it. If I run a plug directly from the positive side of the battery to the small connector on the starter, it turns the starter no problem. Try it with the ignition though and I do see dash lights go, the fuel pump goes, hear a few relay kicks but no starter crank. Just need to know where to look for this plug, since it doesn't seem to be in an obvious place.

Thanks,

Josh
Old 09-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

The starter relay is not driven from the ECU, at least in my truck. The key-relay-solenoid-motor system runs independent of the ECU, although there is a path back to the ECU so that when you turn the key to 'start' you engage the cold start injector. Technically whenever the starter relay is energized the cold start timer relay is kicked.

My memory is that the wire to the starter solenoid is a single wire that comes from a connection in the harness under the hood. I /believe/ it's a wire that comes out of a bundle and IIRC it's a huge bundle. What I don't remember is if that huge bundle is the one that comes through the firewall (there is a weird harness flow from the key into the engine bay to relay that then goes back inside the cab, which I think is due to ECU's cold start path) or if maybe it sits on the right fender near the main fuse box (where the starter relay sits).

The white plug in your second photo is the one that my gut thought was the one. I do remember that it's got a pretty sketchy retaining lip or prong because it's easy to break. When that happens the connector doesn't stay put anymore and vibrates out. I remember helping a friend with a failed starter and needing to crimp on a new connector that stayed in place with friction instead of the retaining prong. The starter relay, motor and solenoid turned out to be fine in that case, just the plastic connector had failed.

Looking at the second photo more, if that was it coming out of the harness down there, it could make sense being close to the PAIR resonator (the big plastic balloon) because that's close to the main fuse box.

I'll take a look tonight when I get home and let you know, if you still need it.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 09-07-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Wincher

Send a message via AIM to Haku

I actually figured it out. There is a sensor in the lower part of the plenum (either oil or coolant) and the starter wire was plugged into that. The little blue connector was a perfect length for the sensor, so that was a better fit.

Needless to say, with that connector plugged in I am good to go from a starter point of view. Unfortunately, once it started cranking, I found out that the Main oil seal is messed up because there is steady stream of engine oil coming out between the tranny and engine when I crank it. This project has taken months, and has been a PITA the entire time.

JH
Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Double check the valve cover gaskey especially the crescent gasket. If those get goofed up they will pour oil down the rear of the engine just like a rear main leak.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang