Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default E Reader? Which one?

Looking for recommendations from those that have used or are using some type of e-reader device as to what you like or don't like about what you have.

I've seen the Kindle in person but that is it. All I know is from what I've read online but like the Jeep vs. Toyota debate, I'm sure most of what I read is biased

This would be for the little as a bday gift from my folks. I'm thinking she'll want something that has wireless capability and can easily download books from the library. I've read that the Sony e-readers are more user friendly in that area compared to the Kindle or the Barnes & Noble version. Not really interested in spending a lot on "buying" books so doing the online checkout/download deal with the library seems to be the way to go. Otherwise size and clarity of screen are important as would be ability to read in low light conditions.

TIA
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 09-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

iPad?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Rising Sun Commander

iPad is a waste of money, IMO... it's a really big and expensive iPod touch. Get a Nook or a Kindle for the e-reader, Michele researched them all and ended up with the Nook, fwiw.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

iPad! My brother just visited and brought his along. Why limit it to reading books when you can just about everything else on it too?

I'll buy one now that I've played with it a bit. Oh yeah, it does books very well.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

The iPad would be cool but the inlaw's already bought her an Mac Book whatever it is called (I'm not a Mac guy). I think she would best be suited with something smaller (and less expensive) that she can read books on. She is an avid reader which is a good thing.

Personally, I don't think she needs another gee-whiz technology item at her age but I've been overruled - Gone are the days when kids get Legos and bikes for birthdays apparently.

Thanks for the tip on the "Nook" Tim...Not sure I've ever heard of that one. Did you see the install of that iPad in a Tacoma I think it was? That was pretty dang cool. Problem with the iPad IMO is to use it to its fullest extent you need the 3G or whatever network which sounds like mega $$. Heck, my cell phone is barely capable of sending text messages
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 09-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Not sure the age of little but being on the edge of 60 I think bigger is better. Those iPod like things are just too small to see.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Range 4x4 View Post
Not sure the age of little but being on the edge of 60 I think bigger is better. Those iPod like things are just too small to see.
True...Just getting to be too many devices trying to do everything and none of them really do it all well, IMO. The iPod Touches are great for playing games and music etc. but using them for the internet or email is pretty futile IMO. The iPad is better but seems to be a lug and boderline laptop territory. A laptop is great but generally too big to lug around all the time. Netbooks? Waste of $$ IMO. The good ones are laptop $$ and the cheaper ones are slow and the screens are annoyingly small.

Personally for book reading I prefer an actual book but there is something to be said for having an entire library encased in the size of just one book - And think of all the gas I'll save, not to mention lowering my carbon footprint, not having to go to the library anymore
TLCA #17037

:

Last edited by corsair23; 09-08-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Hmmm, Kindle = $200...

No WiFi or batteries needed. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
best be suited with something smaller (and less expensive) that she can read
Ginormous Used Book Sale, 9/9-12

The Arapahoe Library District holds it annual used book sale, Thursday, Sept. 9 through Sunday, Sept. 12 at Koelbel Library. One of the largest such sales in the area, it boasts more than 40,000 books and other media. The sale is open to the public Thursday from 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Books are priced from $2.50 for hardbacks to 50 for paperbacks. Sunday is Bag Day. For $6 you can fill one of the library-provided bags. If you want to get in on the action early, consider becoming a Friend of the Library. Memberships start at $15 for seniors or students ($30 for individuals) and they get to attend a special preview sale on Wednesday, Sept. 8 from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. 5955 S. Holly Street, Centennial; 303-542-7279

Or even crazier...

Is my ludditity showing? Absolutely no help with the eReader since I still print out PDFs to read them.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 09-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm right there with you Dave...Unfortunately, much like the dog she got as a birthday present a few years ago, I'm not in the actual decision making process other than trying to ensure she gets something that will actually work well and not become an expensive piece of clutter
TLCA #17037

:

Old 09-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

I agree with everyone. I'll get an iPad because I need something big enough to see that can be a second computer as well. We bought a NetBook but they're inadequate as a computer. I like reading the news online but still prefer the feel of a book in my hand.