Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 09-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Lifted

Default HAM HT vs mobile test

So I did a little testing wanting to be able to call home (Springs) from out in the Divide area. I found the Pikes Peak repeater (2m) and through testing we found my son could reach it on his new to him Yaesu VX 5 set up. From the back porch he could hit the repeater but not from the front porch, this is with the rubber duck and 5 watts. I head out and arrange a call in time the next evening. I call on 5 watts ( Yaesu FT7900, Larsen antenna, through roof mount), he comes back calling for me saying lots of static and can barely tell it is me. I go to 10 watts, better but still noisy. I go to 20 watts and it is very clear to him. Pikes Peak is the only repeater he could hit that would have a chance a reaching me north of Divide. I was 14.3 miles (horizontal) from Pikes Peak and he was 10.4 miles. I could not see Pikes Peak from where I was and we can't see it from our house either. This is a bit of confirmation regarding remote locations and HT. Doubtful I could have could have gotten a message out with a HT w/o a better antenna (beam) at a minimum. Just posting fyi as I went through the HT vs mobile debate for my needs. Below is a profile of the transmission paths. You can see at home he is more challenged by terrain.
Name:  HAM Pikes Peak.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  75.5 KB

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Rising Sun Commander

that's cool... and I'll admit one of the selling points for me for the whole hobby was being able to reach home from the trail/camping, or giving home a way to reach me, particularly when out of cell range which should be the goal of every weekend IMO.. but I digress... .

One huge enhancement to the setup would be a 2m antenna on your chimney, even a home made one. I have been able to talk 40 miles on simplex (Broomfield to Evergreen) using 5 watts and a homebrew antenna before.. and the repeaters are full quieting. The rubber ducks are neat for the trail and camp but I've been disappointed with them at home, even in the city... they still require that "sweet spot" to get the good signal, even with better than stock antennas.

Were you trying to hit the 145.130 on the Colorado Connection? or 146.850? or the 147.225/145.460? I have heard C. Springs guys from both of them from up north here..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
that's cool... and I'll admit one of the selling points for me for the whole hobby was being able to reach home from the trail/camping, or giving home a way to reach me, particularly when out of cell range which should be the goal of every weekend IMO.. but I digress... .
Exactly the reason for me getting into it as well and BTW I agree on your weekend goals....

Quote:
One huge enhancement to the setup would be a 2m antenna on your chimney, even a home made one. I have been able to talk 40 miles on simplex (Broomfield to Evergreen) using 5 watts and a homebrew antenna before.. and the repeaters are full quieting. The rubber ducks are neat for the trail and camp but I've been disappointed with them at home, even in the city... they still require that "sweet spot" to get the good signal, even with better than stock antennas.
Funny you should mention that, my son and I just started a copper J pole. I have to admit I was a bit surprised I had to go to 20 watts to get a real clear signal seeing how you can go 40 miles on 5 watts hmmm....

Quote:
Were you trying to hit the 145.130 on the Colorado Connection? or 146.850? or the 147.225/145.460? I have heard C. Springs guys from both of them from up north here..
I did not try those repeaters I was looking for something that I thought we could both hit. CC repeaters didn't seem feasible from where I was bird hunting nor did Cheyenne Mtn. I tried some Woodland Park repeaters but my son couldn't hit them, not too surprised.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin