Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Trail Ready

Default Does this sound like the beginning of a scam?

I got this email from a guy, who is apparently interested in buying my dirtbike:
Chris, thanks for the update, Im in Los Angeles so I have to plan a trip to do this. I was wondering if you have a paypal account or would you take a cashiers check and can you store the bike until mid June so I can have time to plan my trip and get the time off...etc let me know....Thanks ...Chris

I will ask for the cashier's check, and don't mind holding the bike till June, if the check clears. I know cashier's checks are guaranteed, etc., but still. Would any of you be nervous about doing a deal like this?

My thought is to write back and basically say, send the check, once it clears I'll hold the bike for him till 30 June. If he doesn't pick it up by then, then the bike goes back on the market and I keep the $, but I'm not sure if I could legally keep the $ or not. We would have a written agreement, through email, for the purchase, which I believe would be legally binding.

Whaddya think? I don't like the smell of this one...

Chris
'99 F350 CC, 7.3 PSD
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
TLCA #7412

Statistics show that 95% of all Jeeps ever built are still on the road. The other 5% made it home.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

cashiers checks are not guaranteed. That's why the use them and forge bad ones. Or maybe I should say when the nigerian scammers send you a forged one you think it's guaranteed but obviosly it's not. That's why they use em people think they are 100% guarnteed.

If if smells like a scam.. is usually is a scam.
TLCA#4180
Old 05-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Once the cashiers check is in your hands you are good to go. It's just like getting cash. You are not risking anything I believe. You'll have the money and the bike. My buddy got burned the other way buying a bike off e-bay. Sent the guy a $800 cashiers check, never got the bike. cashiers checks are not insured, E-bay refunded $150 but otherwise he's out. Nothing else he could do. Paypal the money has footprints and can be refunded forcefully.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

Aren't there plenty of dirt bikes in LA? I'd feel better doing a local deal. But maybe that's just me. I suppose if you don't mind waiting a month to close he deal it's OK. Tough call.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:33 AM
Trail Ready

I wouldn't feel too bad about it once the money is in my account...I'll still have the bike here till/if he picks it up. Just kinda feels weird. And yeah, I'd rather deal locally, and may in fact have a buyer here. But the guy here is kinda waffling, said to sell it to someone else if I have the chance.

I think I'll see if I can talk to this guy on the phone...

Thanks everyone!
Chris
'99 F350 CC, 7.3 PSD
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
TLCA #7412

Statistics show that 95% of all Jeeps ever built are still on the road. The other 5% made it home.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

If you get the check and it clears I don't see where you would loose. The buyer has more of a risk than you.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-18-2006, 01:44 AM
Trail Ready

I'll let you know what happens...

Chris
'99 F350 CC, 7.3 PSD
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
TLCA #7412

Old 05-18-2006, 01:55 AM
Trail Ready

My response (not sent yet):

Chris,

I have paypal, but would prefer a cashier's check. Once the check clears, I'll hold the bike for you until 30 June, 2006. After that, it goes back on the market and I'll keep the money...consider it incentive to get to Denver! Besides that, it will be off the market till you pick it up or the end of June, and I could lose potential sales if you aren't able to make it here. I'm not trying to be a jerk about this. But I don't want to miss out on selling it either. If you want to buy it according to the conditions above, let me know, and I'll send you my address.

Thx!
Chris

Did I miss anything?
Chris
'99 F350 CC, 7.3 PSD
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
TLCA #7412

Old 05-18-2006, 02:41 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Exclamation

You've got to be careful. If you deposit a check into your account, the sender of the check now has access to your checking account number, your name, and the bank routing numbers. He can write a "demand draft" which will drain your account of funds in a heartbeat. Read more here:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7914159/

Beware checks from online services, like:
http://www.qchex.com/
I got one of these last year. I was suspicious, and called the bank (in Seattle). Sure enough, the account on which it was drawn had been closed.

I think PayPal may be a safer bet, sorry to say.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

I would go with Paypal, its safer. Just remember they charge you (the receiver) so you need to add that to the purchase price.

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
rage, rage, against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas