Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Poor Man's Roof Rack + Gas cans

So staring up a thread on my project to be able to carry gas cans outside the cruiser without spending the money on a super nice rear bumper. Hopefully will be doing a trip to the maze this fall, and wanted to have a bit of extra gas with me but not have to store it inside the cab.

First I ordered a harbor freight rear reciever hitch rack that I'll be attempting to modify to put in my yakima roof bars, along side my space case. Its rated to "500 harbor freight pounds" which means 250 pounds, and ~125 offroad pounds.

Then I ordered 2 (hopefully) scepter MFC's. A super siphon from amazon should round out the setup.

Overall outside dimensions of the rack are 49" L x 22-1/2" W x 8" H, which means 2 MFC's at ~ 6.6” W x 13.9” L x 18.3” H should fit laying on its side, taking up about half the length of the rack, and being about flush on top. Weight would be at ~45pounds for a full can, so 90 pounds there, plus some chairs or a shovel, and I should be right at 125 pounds.

Build pics to start when I get the rack on Friday, and the cans hopefully early next week.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Rising Sun Commander

So the receiver hitch box thing is going on the roof?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yep that's the plan Apparently it comes assembly required, so I plan on either not putting on the large square piece that attaches to the receiver, or cutting it down. Then using 4-6 yakima attachments with some longer bolts (probably carriage) to attach to the bars. Still a bit up in the air but I figured for ~$80 for the rack its worth a try.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

For $50 I woulda loaned you my roof rack that you could have attached to the bars and carried whatever you wanted

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see the build. Were you looking for something small? Years ago I bought one of the cheapy universal roof racks/baskets made by don't know who. Use to use it a lot on the Durango and IIRC it was only $100 or maybe $150 - Light weight but large enough to carry a big tent, chairs, etc. etc. for camping trips.

I don't tend to use it much on the LX though...everytime I put stuff on the roof I hear crazy sounds that make me not want to trust the factory rack anymore
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 09-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

I recently used a piece of plywood, 2x4's and ratchet straps to haul 2 jerry cans to a weekend near Gunnison. Laid it across the factory rack rails. Strapped it down. Worked great. I want a real one, sure, but this was the quick cheap temp solution.

Or just bring Perry on your Maze trip and have him haul it all - that's my preferred method! BTW, you know we did the Maze 2 years ago on the Outlaws Run. Great area. I think there is a Trip Report here.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Seriously though, it will be interesting to see the build. Were you looking for something small?:
Yea pretty much. I want to be able to leave my roof box/space case on one side, and this is narrow enough to be able to do that. I like the space case for keeping things mostly dry and not too dirty. And other than some tents/etc that go in the box, I don't have much I carry on the roof. We'll see what the quality of the rack turns out to be.

I'll definitly post pictures once its underway. Hopefully the quality will be acceptable.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
I think there is a Trip Report here.
Sweet i'll have to do a quick search. I have been out to horseshoe canyon but not the maze proper. Last time was in a buddies saab that we baja'd hard enough to break part of the steering knuckle on the way back. This time will be much better equipped
Old 09-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coax View Post
Yea pretty much. I want to be able to leave my roof box/space case on one side, and this is narrow enough to be able to do that.
That's right...I remember you having the space case. As I recall, it is a good size case. Big enough to fit a pair of running boards in it
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 09-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by coax View Post
Sweet i'll have to do a quick search. I have been out to horseshoe canyon but not the maze proper. Last time was in a buddies saab that we baja'd hard enough to break part of the steering knuckle on the way back. This time will be much better equipped
Was Perry driving the Saab?

(inside joke...)
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Banned

125 offroad lbs? sorry never heard that term before =D