Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 05-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smslavin View Post
Betasso. Park in town, ride up 4 Mile, make some laps in the park, then back down the canyon into town.

I can't swing a ride today but I might be able to meet you some time later this week if you're going to do something on this side of the city. Maybe Deer Creek or Falcon?

Been on the road for work and I'm itching to get in the dirt. Plus, I just did the 40t upgrade and need to break it in.

It looks like betasso is closed, or at least inaccessible. Is there another way in? Sugarloaf?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 05-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
It looks like betasso is closed, or at least inaccessible. Is there another way in? Sugarloaf?
Really? BMA and the Ranger twitter feed say it's all open.

I know the 4 mile connector trail was closed due to high water a couple of weeks ago but I don't see any mention of it as still closed.

There are two other ways to get in. As your coming up the canyon, right before the tunnel, there's a trail head and a small parking area. It's about 1.5 miles up the hill from the intersection with 4 mile. It's the Betasso Link Trail. This is more fun coming down than going up.

The other way in is the Canyon Loop. This has a paid parking lot and is off Sugarloaf.

I'm not sure which direction the trails are running at the moment. They alternate direction every month but there will be a sign with an arrow pointing the way that bikes can go.

It's definitely one of my favorite trails. Fast, flowy and just enough technical sections to keep it interesting. Wish I could meet you up there today. Have a good ride.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

They closed the four mile link to Betasso a while back and I don't think it is reopened. This was due to the creek crossing down there and the increased spring run off. Fourmile canyon road was closed to cyclists for a while too but looks to have opened up:

http://maps.bouldercounty.org/roadclosuresbicycles/

Either way, it can be ridden from Boulder canyon, up the link trail, to the top where both loops can be accessed. You can also bike or drive up sugarloaf. The trails are closed to cyclists on Wednesdays and Saturdays though.

Other stuff to ride besides Heil and Hall:

Marshall Mesa, Springbrook, High Plains, Dirty Bismark Stuff
Take the buss to Ned and ride back via a MULTITUDE of routes.

East/West Mag (East Mag is closed closer to the HWY, West is drying up)
Winiger ridge (good link between Ned & Gross area/Walker)
Walker
Chapmann Drive/Flagstaff/Walker/Flagstaff
Fourmile/logan Mill/Some Stuff/Betasso

There are more technical rides out there also if you like techy climbing/descents

Some are more adventures than flowy singletrack (ok maybe most)

Some are 1-2 sandwich rides.

We should to a Boulder/Ned - WP Ride one day come to think about it. Bus to high school in ned (or bike up), bike over. On the way back we can link all the stuff for a big descent to Boulder.

I am taking a break today. I wanted to make it so I could possibly ride with y'all but I didn't plan well.. I don't think I will be riding during normal hours tomorrow. Planning to take thursd/friday off before the weekend... were gonna try to kokopelli. I'll get better about posting up riding.
82 FJ40
Old 05-20-2014, 09:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

Kokopelli is on my list this season but it's going to have to be fall. I'm doing the Growler this weekend (so easy spin today and maybe a medium ride Thursday) and 24 Hours in the Enchanted Forest in June, but I'm explicitly not doing any races after that. Just eats up all the fun. But riding Kokopelli in July does not seem wise, so probably Sep or Oct.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah!!

I only race non races with people that don't race!

It's mo fun!
82 FJ40
Old 05-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Rising Sun member

Default The Mountain Bike Ride Planning Thread

Why would you guys ride on the road to access dirt? I'm looking on bouldercounty.org and it says fourmile link is closed and fourmile canyon drive access to betasso is closed.

I'm starting to get a handle on trail names though, I think I'm going to give it a try if the weather holds
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 05-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Why would you guys ride on the road to access dirt? I'm looking on bouldercounty.org and it says fourmile link is closed and fourmile canyon drive access to betasso is closed.

I'm starting to get a handle on trail names though, I think I'm going to give it a try if the weather holds
If you want to skip the climbing then drive to the top and ride. the link is pretty brutal if you aren't used to it. You can just do loops up at the top there till you're done. Benjamin loop is fun, usually we do a few laps on it then had back to the main loop.

I ride road/2-track to access single track because i like not driving to go mountain biking.
82 FJ40
Old 05-20-2014, 02:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:

it's the best loop around betasso. guess the water level is still too high. before we moved down to the city, i had ridden it a number of times. the link trail was in great shape. 4 mile canyon is clear

the 4 mile link trail takes up to benjamin loop. it's about 2.5 miles around and is best ridden clockwise to get the most out of the descent.

from benjamin loop, you connect with loop link to get over to the canyon loop. lap the canyon loop then head down the betasso link which will drop you back down on to boulder canyon.

i normally park at the west end of arapahoe by the park. i'll ride up the trail alongside the canyon to 4 mile. up 4 mile to the link. 2 laps around benjamin and over to the canyon loop for 2 laps. then down betasso link and back into town. it's a great 2 hour ride with some decent climbing. from town to the 4 mile link trail is just over 5 miles with a decent elevation gain.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Why would you guys ride on the road to access dirt?
Is this rhetorical? You're on a bike to get exercise, why wouldn't you ride to the trail head if you can?

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-20-2014, 03:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smslavin View Post
it's the best loop around betasso. guess the water level is still too high. before we moved down to the city, i had ridden it a number of times. the link trail was in great shape. 4 mile canyon is clear

the 4 mile link trail takes up to benjamin loop. it's about 2.5 miles around and is best ridden clockwise to get the most out of the descent.

from benjamin loop, you connect with loop link to get over to the canyon loop. lap the canyon loop then head down the betasso link which will drop you back down on to boulder canyon.

i normally park at the west end of arapahoe by the park. i'll ride up the trail alongside the canyon to 4 mile. up 4 mile to the link. 2 laps around benjamin and over to the canyon loop for 2 laps. then down betasso link and back into town. it's a great 2 hour ride with some decent climbing. from town to the 4 mile link trail is just over 5 miles with a decent elevation gain.
This is normally a fun route but remember the creek crossing at bottom of the four mile link (and therefore the Fourmile Link trail) is closed... so if you go today you'll have to access betasso from either up top or the link trail. Park at Ebin G. fine park where Sean was saying if you want more of a workout. park at the link if you want the climb up it, park at the top if you just want loops with minimal climbing. Up to you. If time is limited I'd say park up top or at the link.

And I agree with Dave, I like bikes so any moment on them is fun and get you in better shape than before, riding to the traihead is mo betta then driving if I can and have the time.
82 FJ40