Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 05-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Lair o'the Bear Wed, about 5:30. Quickie out to Pence Park and back, parking lots beers after.

I could do the one gawd damn speed if you want to come Marco.
Have other appointments tonight, but will be doing Waterton/Lenny's Rest/Roxborough Loop tomorrow (Thursday) at 5-ish...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 05-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Wincher

I will have to watch for some more rides in the South Denver area. I am riding the Elephant Rock/ Optic Nerve 24 ride the first weekend of June. Training,ridding, having fun is all good.
Older Gary Fisher Sugar1
CajunRock
2006 KTM Adv. sold
2000 KDX 220
Old 05-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

I'm riding www.ride4yellow.com July 28. I'm already behind on training.

I have a few more free registration spots if anyone is interested but you must commit to raise $500.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Rising Sun member

Okay, looks like I will actually be able to make it out tonight. Plan is to start from the Chimney Gulch trailhead at 4:45-5:00.

Up Chimney, over to Apex, down Enchanted Forest, back up Apex to the top of Chimney, back down Chimney. Hopefully I have enough steam in the legs to pull that one off.

Anybody able to make it?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 05-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Can't today and looks like rain tomorrow. I'm planning on riding Thursday or Friday at this point. Your out and back is a tough one. I usually just do the pavement to make it loop, but I'm a big slug most of the time. :-)

Remember today is an even day, so you're good to go but odd days Enchanted is one way up only.

Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist. -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 05-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Rising Sun member

yep, that's why I'm going today

Thursday may be a possibility.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Wincher

Training for the Optic Nerver ElephantRock race first wk in June. I am riding the course in Larkspur on Thurs am. Will be up for more rides after the 24 hr race.
Gary Fisher Sugar1
2006 KTM Adv. sold
2000 KDX 220
Old 05-22-2012, 11:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
yep, that's why I'm going today

Thursday may be a possibility.
So.. How did it go? Once and only once, I made all the switch backs at the beginning of Chimney. My wife calls it Chiminey Gulch...Which is funny to us. She fell over there once on the upper left turn at the flat rock section..We were like what was that all about...later we figured out she was pregnant..

That is a great route Matt!

I love that right turn surprise uphill in the enchanted forest, that if you are not ready for greets you with no option to down shift.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 05-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Rising Sun member

That was so much fun I think I'm wanting to do it again! Why I have never done that loop before I don't know.

Chris, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who tries to ride the switchbacks. So often I see guys on way more expensive bikes than what I have walking that whole section - actually walking most of the obstacles for that matter

I, too, have only ridden the switchbacks all the way through once, actually on the last ride a week or so ago. The top one used to be more difficult, but they've rearranged the rocks and built up the undercut under the water bar. I used to always get my front tire over but could never get the rear tire over. Last night my pedal unclipped on the approach and that ruined my chances of even trying

Enchanted Forest was a dream, everything was clicking and I was just able to pick the lines the whole way down. Made it up all the hill climbs too, so my old form is coming back

The climb back out of the top of Apex park was a bit rough after all that, but I made it ok with some gas to spare and had a good downhill all the way back down Chimney.

Last edited by subzali; 05-23-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I might be interested in a thursday ride. What was the time an where?