Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 09-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Wincher

Question Georgia Pass

Every year I try to set up an off-road excursion for folks that I work with who only take their vehicles to the mall and soccer practice . This year, we headed up to Georgia Pass on Sept 18th. We entered from the Frisco side so that people could work a bit at getting up. Great trip with about 25 people and 10 vehicles! Most of the vehicles are stock. I should point out that I work with a bunch of geeks, so this was a great showing.
We went up through the South Swan Fork and climbed to the pass. At the top we have lunch (work provided) and then some with down the other side to 285 while about 8 of us went up to the top of Glacier peak. 2 turned back to head to 285 at that point while the rest were desiring a bit of challenge.
We dropped down the long decent and headed to what we think was Middle Swan Fork. Fantastic drive and very nice scenery. Great time for all and only running boards showing damage for those who took the latter trail.

This does bring me to a question - this last trail just dead ended! Well worn until it stopped! Very confusing. Does this sounds like Middle Swan Fork? That was all that we could consider it looking at our map.

Last edited by Sleepy; 09-19-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Added date
Old 09-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

From glacier peak, the only other descent down (besides going back to Georgia pass), is down Missouri Gulch which does connect at the bottom to the Middle fork of the swan.

I'm not sure at what point it dead ended for you. Do you think you could have missed it? Did you descend the steep rock garden. You would have had your hands full going down it with stock vehicles. I made it up this garden a month ago and I had my hands full for sure. Now that I think of it, running boards on stock rigs, would have been pretty well destroyed.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Wincher

That is exactly what we did. Went down the steep drop and took a right at the T. That trail led us to a dead end. The trail just closed up at the end.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Wincher

One of the folks with us had a GPS. Overlaying it with Google Earth - we seem to have missed a turn or something. However, I looked hard for one and it never appeared - so I guess it was me :-)
Old 09-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
That is exactly what we did. Went down the steep drop and took a right at the T. That trail led us to a dead end. The trail just closed up at the end.
You should have turned left at the T to get to the Middle Fork. You went up about a quarter of a mile and there was an old cabin just about where you had to turn around?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
You should have turned left at the T to get to the Middle Fork. You went up about a quarter of a mile and there was an old cabin just about where you had to turn around?
Yes, that is correct. That was not middle fork?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

If you mean is the dead end the Middle Fork, then no, that wasn't it. How did you guys get out? If you had just turned around at the dead end and kept on going downhill, you would have run into the Middle Fork road in just a few hundred yards. Going down to the left at the Middle Fork would have taken you to Tiger Run which runs into Hwy 9 between Farmers Corner and Breckenridge. If you had turned right at Middle Fork you would have gone up and over into the valley that Montezuma is situated in. Did you guys just go back up the Missouri Gulch rock garden and back to Georgia Pass?