Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by theRash View Post
Rub some mandle wax of your choice over the dash.

http://www.mandleco.com/

Sorry, couldn't resist the funny part of this thread.

Ok for the real response, febreeze it.
I'd like to know what the "swimsuit model" mandle smells like....

From my experience cleaning cars for the dealership.

Shampoo the carpet with a cleaner you like the smell of (pet cleaners are good for taking odors away). Frebreze actually works pretty well if you use a whole bottle. Make sure it dries completely and as quickly as possible to avoid mold. Then clean interior with something you like the smell of. I like the "BlueMagic" leather cleaner and conditioner. Available at WalMart.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 09-22-2010, 03:39 AM
Rising Sun Secretary

The best smell mask I have found is to spill a bottle of Jack Daniels on the carpeting. Also fun to explain when you get stopped for that lifted suspension.
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 09-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattybumppo View Post
The best smell mask I have found is to spill a bottle of Jack Daniels on the carpeting. Also fun to explain when you get stopped for that lifted suspension.
I'm calling this "thread of the month." Explosive diarrhea and Jack Daniels: this thread has it all.

1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Odium product

Sex Panther Cologne!

"...and it has real bits of panther in it; so you know it's good."
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

you know 50% of the time it works... every time
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 10-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Rising Sun member

Had a good day off today giving the Tundra a little love...

Last week I washed and waxed it; it's been over a year since I last waxed the whole thing and it needed it to hide some of the pinstripes I made this summer...

...Maybe next spring I'll take it in to have it gone over by some professionals

Anyway, today I vacuumed the interior, pulled everything out, including the floor mats, and used some Tuff Stuff carpet cleaner I got at O'Reilley's (Autozone carries it too), and let it all dry. It now smells clean on the interior, we'll see how long that lasts, but alas it's still not the smell I was searching for originally, and none of the cleaners that I took a look at quite had it, so the search is still on...

Put some Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Conditioner on the seats, need to keep working them to keep them soft and keep the cracking from getting worse.

Next I jacked the rear wheels off the ground, pulled the wheels off, and painted the drums because I saw they were a bit rusty and on this particular day it was bothering me. While I was waiting for the paint to dry, I took the wheels out to the hose and used some Meguiar's Hot Wheels All Wheel wheel cleaner. Had a couple stiff bristled brushes on me, and got A LOT of the road grime off of them, inside and out. I am very very pleased with this product, give it two enthusiastic thumbs up It really shined up the wheels nice, and on alloy wheels you can get those brown spots, you know? All gone now. Awesome. Even though I'm not 100% crazy about the OEM wheel design for my Tundra, I like trying to care of it, not only to make it look better but to hopefully help it last longer. See the attached pic, on the spoke that's directly under the valve stem, the surface that's on top in the picture had a bunch of brown spots on it.

Anyway, next was the front wheels, where I also had to do a little touch-up painting on the frame and a-arm, so once that was done that felt good as well.

It took a while, but I finally got all that junk cleaned up and realized I had some time so I tried to tackle a final project for the day. Something in my suspension squeaks something fierce and I've been trying to nail it down. I thought it was the sway bar bushings, and I sprayed some silicone spray on them a while back and that seemed to help, but now the squeak is back. So I got under there again, thinking it was the sway bar bushings, and got them off and greased them again. But when I let the truck off the jackstands I found out that the squeak is still there. After a little more investigation I now think it is the a-arm bushings. I'm thinking I'll just leave that for a shop to take care of.

Now my truck is about ready for winter; I still have a piece of foam trying to blow out the heater vent on the driver's side, so I need to dig into that and glue it back where it needs to be. And then I need to do some stuff on the Corolla before it starts getting cold too...I'm finding it never ends with cars. I've spent two days in the last week just detailing the truck, and there is a list of mods and upgrades that I would like to address some day. Oh well a little bit at a time...and all the while I'm learning how to do some of this stuff I'm not really used to doing.

All in all a pleasing and relaxing day, though. Felt productive.
Attached Images

1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Does it smell bad, like as if you have a 6 month old sippy cup full of milk under the seat?

Or do you just wish it had a nice smell?

Most cleaners and conditioners have a perfume/musk of some sort, so the PO probably just used something you liked. I hear the Zaino stuff smells good, although I've never used it. There used to be a store in Denver called Detailers Paradise (near Broadway and Evans), but I think they closed their doors and only do internet sales now. Unfortunately, you might just have to trying smelling the stuff at Checker, or see what the internets recommend.

I spilled 90 weight in the back of mine, and I can't kill that smell....
Got a package of Zaino Z9 and Z10 delivered today - popped them open and I still don't think it's what I'm looking for. I'm sure it'll be nice though.

Probably gonna have to break down and swing by the PO's house one of these days and ask him...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 03-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

I didnt see mention of your cabin air filter. Did you replace it? Maybe shoot it the new filter with some 'smelly' stuff (febreeze works well too), before putting it in. I do that once a year in my 'cars'.....can't seem to find the cabin filter on my 73 FJ40!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

also.....I learned this trick when I used to build custom sound systems, back when cars went boom.....there's some stuff you can buy called LectroMotive, (red can at autozone) it's actually drycleaning solution. If you have grease/oil spots on carpet or interior, hit with a shot of that and you'll be amazed how well it works! I always keep a can of that on hand.....
Old 03-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Rising Sun member

Okay, so the Zaino stuff smells like a new leather couch at Sheplers - nice, but not that distinct smell of long ago. It's not as musky.

Tonka, no cabin air filter in a 2000 Tundra. Not sure when they started that. I know Land Cruisers were even hit-and-miss through 2006...an FJ40 definitely doesn't have such a thing

And Febreze is not the smell I'm going for. I'm not sure how to describe what it is, but it's certainly not flowery and fresh. I guess I would put in a similar category as freshly cut lumber - it smells nice, but it's a manly smell