Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default 80 Series Brake Issues

Looking for some technical expertise.

The sympton: On the 's 80, the brakes (hard to determine if it is front or rear) make the oh fun sound as if the pads are low and the wear indicator is rubbing. Started a couple weeks ago. Pulled all 4 tires and the pads are at 50% or better - Test drove the truck and no noise so put everything back together.

Drove the truck to Steamboat Friday and holy I finally hear the noise. Terrible noise that makes everyone stop and stare. But it comes and goes. Hitting the brakes doesn't really affect the noise nor does pulling on the parking brake. To add to this, every once is awhile, right as you come to a full stop the ABS activates and you get a little "dance" in the brake pedal right at the truck is almost stopped

I'm thinking maybe the pads are sticking on the slide pins or I have a sticking caliper/piston? I was planning on the Jenny Creek run today but instead I'm home fixing my junk

Anyone ever experience something similar and have some advice for me to try? I'll probably be in the garage all afternoon looking for something....
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 09-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Rock Stacker

The ABS coming on close to a stop is a faulty wheel speed sensor. Pull the sensors and i would bet one of them has metal shavings on it. Clean it up and it should work. As for the squealing I would suspect a rock or pebble worked its way into the caliper somewhere. I had it happen once, when I finally pulled the caliper a rock fell out and the noise was gone.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShoe View Post
The ABS coming on close to a stop is a faulty wheel speed sensor. Pull the sensors and i would bet one of them has metal shavings on it. Clean it up and it should work. As for the squealing I would suspect a rock or pebble worked its way into the caliper somewhere. I had it happen once, when I finally pulled the caliper a rock fell out and the noise was gone.
Thanks! I'll pull the ABS sensors and clean them up.

As for the noise...I suspected the same thing but it has been 5-6 times now where the noise comes, and then goes. I either have really bad luck with road debris/pebbles or something else is going on
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 09-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Honorary Canuck Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbluefj

i have the same problem started after being on a dirt road?? will take a look at the abs sensor as well hmmm..
Old 09-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

That sucks Jeff! Out of curiosity, are you using 100 series pads or the stock ones? After running my 80 pads without shims for just a handful of miles I could see where the paint had been worn down to bare metal on the pads.

Is the noise only when you use the brakes, but not always when using the brakes? Seems too coincidental that the abs is going off and you are gettting the noise. But maybe a squeaky ujoint?

Sorry not much help, just random thoughts.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I'll second the U-joint.

When my U-joints were letting go it made a sound like I was dragging a steel fence under the truck. Almost scary loud and I looked under there a few times to just to see what was hung up. The noise was nothing like a sound you would think a u-joint should make.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 09-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

are your rotors glazed ? (looks like a mirror ?) if so she problly just got them to hot with a panic stop.. what you need to do is resurface the rotors and sand the pad surface down.. also if your using semi metalic or metalic pads then your almost gaurenteed a squeel.. those truck need organic or ceramic. i perfer ceramic.. and its problly only squeeling after the rotors get hot..ie driving stop and go traffic or down hill riding the brakes.. id bet money that they dont squeel when the rotors are cold..

if it were a u-joint it would do it all the time.. not only when braking
Old 09-26-2010, 11:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coax View Post
Out of curiosity, are you using 100 series pads or the stock ones? After running my 80 pads without shims for just a handful of miles I could see where the paint had been worn down to bare metal on the pads.

Is the noise only when you use the brakes, but not always when using the brakes? Seems too coincidental that the abs is going off and you are gettting the noise. But maybe a squeaky ujoint?
Stock 80 series pads with shims...Not the typical brake squeal at all. The noise, when present, is all the time and doesn't change must when applying the brakes or pulling the e-brake, but does change frequency with speed. Truly sounds like when the wear indicators are touching, but they aren't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
I'll second the U-joint.

When my U-joints were letting go it made a sound like I was dragging a steel fence under the truck. Almost scary loud and I looked under there a few times to just to see what was hung up. The noise was nothing like a sound you would think a u-joint should make.
Hmmmm...Would a bad u-joint noise come, and then go? This does. Like right now it isn't making the noise. Made it Friday in Silverthorne (first time I actually heard it but started maybe 2 weeks ago and then went away, came back, went away again...) and then again that night and the next morning in Steamboat. Later that afternoon in Winter Park on the way home no noise and no noise right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
are your rotors glazed ? (looks like a mirror ?) if so she problly just got them to hot with a panic stop..

id bet money that they dont squeel when the rotors are cold..

if it were a u-joint it would do it all the time.. not only when braking
Rotors don't look glazed to me...Shiny, but not mirror shiny. Pretty much look like they did when I put them on way back when.

How much you willing to bet? - It got down to the low 30s Saturday morning in Steamboat and the brakes made the noise all the way from the hotel to the soccer park that morning, and again 2+ hours later on the way out of the parking lot.

I pulled the front ABS sensors today and wiped them clean. A little bit of metal shavings on the magnets but nothing abnormal IMO. Checked the front pads etc. again today. Nothing really "remarkable" other than the DS inner pad (see picture). You can see where something got in the pad and had gouged it a bit in a couple spots. Maybe I'm just unlucky and yet another small piece of debris made its way between the pad and the rotor and then finally worked its way out after a couple hundred miles? I'm pretty easy on brakes in general, letting the gearing slow the rig down coming down hills etc. so....I didn't get to the rears but the pads probably have 75%+ left on them?

I got to wondering maybe the parking brake is heating up or something and sticking? I have no desire to muck with it as Toyota's system seems like a total PITA to me

Funny thing is I drove the 80 to Steamboat partly because I think a u-joint in the front drive shaft on the LX is going and I didn't want to drive it that far and at those speeds. The bonus about driving the 80 though, I averaged 16+ mpg up and back - No way the LX would get that mpg.

Name:  DSC07323 (Large).jpg
Views: 61
Size:  127.5 KB
TLCA #17037

:

Old 09-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
...Hmmmm...Would a bad u-joint noise come, and then go? This does. Like right now it isn't making the noise. Made it Friday in Silverthorne (first time I actually heard it but started maybe 2 weeks ago and then went away, came back, went away again...) and then again that night and the next morning in Steamboat. Later that afternoon in Winter Park on the way home no noise and no noise right now ...
The sound came and went. I also couldn't detect any play in the shaft. The only way we figured it out was to grease the shafts and the sound went away. When I took it apart, it was painfully obvious the u-joints were toast.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 09-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
The sound came and went. I also couldn't detect any play in the shaft. The only way we figured it out was to grease the shafts and the sound went away. When I took it apart, it was painfully obvious the u-joints were toast.
Interesting! Just did the oil change and lube on the 80 a couple weeks ago. With 122K on the odo maybe it is time to just get the shafts rebuilt. Both the 80 and LX probably could use it I guess

P.S. working on a stock 80 sucks...No room to crawl around under it. Although reaching stuff in the engine bay is a lot easier I've asked the if we could just put a little bit of lift on it but no dice, so far...
TLCA #17037

: