Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
So it turns out this shop down in Golden actually stocks these studs... pretty cool guys down there. But huh, they see more 100's than anyone for maintenance and seemed to know right where they were on the parts shelf.. I'm calling that a testament to the 5 vs. 6 engineering decision. I still don't like it.

So I picked up 20, yes I'm getting all new lug nuts too. And yes, as long as I got it all apart, new front rotors, pads, repack the bearings... hoo boy.

, one of our favorite mechanics specifically advises against Anti-Seize on lug nut threads, as I learned in my other "broken wheel stud" thread... http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ken+wheel+stud

I'm a little torn on the matter, but I've also seen him take tires off, looked like he'd done it before.. I'll probably stay away. I figure all new bits oughta get me another 12 years of life, even more if I do more of tire swapping..

Good back reference! Any advice from Ben or BVB should be taken as law! I have extensive training but BVB's team have forgotten more than I will EVER know! BVB
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

There is actually a product just for tourqing. It might be for engine assembly and a lock tight brand, but Im sure there's actually a antisieze version. I saw it on tv they tested with 1 torque wrench and a gauge. They set the wrench to a number. Then tightened a nut or stud (don't remember) till the wrench clicked. And the actual #'s On the gauge were all over the place. They tested everything from plain oil, to lock tight , to assembly lube, anti sieze. And the only thing that actually tested to what the wrench was set to was the special torque lube. (don't know it's name)

Personally I wouldnt care if mine broke. As long as there was at liest 2 holding the wheel on ( and not next to each other) and the 5 studes are stronger than the 6 because there much thicker. Working at yota I've hardy ever seen broke Studs, there just not a common issue. So I'd say PO.

And also just about every shop's rules are to torque with a torque wrench. Id say only about 20% of mechanics actually do it. And about 90% of shops never inforce it. And the "torque sticks" they use are crap. They say 80 lbs but ive never seen one actualy do it at it's spec. (I've measured w/ my wrench).

My opinion
Replace them, don't replace them. Personal opinion. Check your torque once and a while (never hurts, stuff comes loose) if your takin one hub apart to replace 1 or 2 studs then replace all on that wheel since your in there. Freak out about the other wheels , I wouldn't till they break! The only way I've seen all 5 break is not even tighting them and the wheel comes off then your fired. No discussion
Old 08-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
I broke one at Camp Hale. Or at least noticed it after that. In the front PS. It it the first I've broken and the truck is at 220,000k. I ordered a few spares. They are the same front and rear. Exciting part about the front ones for those that are interested; You need to remove the drive plate, hub, remove the disk brake in order to replace them. I'm getting good at removing cone washers. I remember my first cone washer removal thinking "I'll never get these off." Now I have mad skills.
5 is not better than 6, I agree.
Whoa, so were you driving around on 4? for how long?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

i stopped using antiseize when i left the midwest. dont' have to worry about them rusting on out here, plus, we maintain our vehicles alot, so that shouldn't be an issue. but the salt in the midwest and low maintenance can make life a living hell without antiseize.
ige tlca #1431
Old 08-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Whoa, so were you driving around on 4? for how long?
I broke one on my red truck a few years back, drove with 4 out of 5 for a couple weeks until I could order in the new one and make time to replace it. NBD.

Why does the Tacoma have 6 lugs when the higher hp, higher torque Tundra/Sequoia have 5 lugs?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 08-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I broke one on my red truck a few years back, drove with 4 out of 5 for a couple weeks until I could order in the new one and make time to replace it. NBD.

Why does the Tacoma have 6 lugs when the higher hp, higher torque Tundra/Sequoia have 5 lugs?
You're an engineer....that question surprises me! What would take a higher lateral load....6 12mm fasteners (72 mm combined area) in a 5.5" circle or 5 14mm fasteners (70mm combined area) in a 5.9" circle?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Rising Sun member

Well I know why from that perspective and also from the perspective of optimizing materials and production processes. But why, then, keep the 6 lug design on the Tacomas?

BTW I like your new AxleIke quote
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 08-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:

BTW I like your new AxleIke quote
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Well I know why from that perspective and also from the perspective of optimizing materials and production processes. But why, then, keep the 6 lug design on the Tacomas?
What I have problem with in Toyota's recent engineering is the Tundra. Why is it that when Toy finally steps into the competitive work truck market they begin the "overbuilt" standard that has placed them so high in the past but then they fall short. The biggest example I'll use is the awesome 10.5 ring geared rear diff found in the 5.7 vehicles. They did add massive 36 spine axles but they again stayed with the 5x 150 bolt pattern AND use semi float design. WTF?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I thought this was interesting, stumbled on this thread today and found some math in favor of the 5 vs. 6 decision:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pskhaat View Post
Quick little writeup on changing a broken lug. I had a lug nut `freeze' on me one day a few weeks back. For the life of me I could not get this lug nut off. I eventually had to go have it broken off `professionally.' I am of the assumption from that experience that dirt and/or other material mysteriously found their way into my lug nut during a flat tire change.

The 100 series' lugs are 14mm and though only 5 lugs are present, it represents almost 12% increase in total cross-sectional lug area than the 6 lugs on an 80 series. No rhetoric there, but let's just say that 14mm lug is a tough job to break.
from http://forum.ih8mud.com/newreply.php...reply&p=783693

Scott curious where you got that logic? I do feel a little more reassured. And will also attest to how strong they are, I've broken 6 of them now

www.gamiviti.com