Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 09-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default Thanks Mom

Well, my mom went to sleep last night and didn't wake up this morning. It was a blessing for her to go this way, she really suffered the last 2 years from Alzheimers. What a horrible disease that is.

Please join me in celebrating her life, and if you don't mind let me tell you a little about her.

Her name was Shirley, she was born in 1927 and had 2 older brothers and 1 older sister. She was born in a farmhouse in rural Missouri. Like so many from her generation she grew up as a child in the depths of the depression. Her family was terribly poor but being on a farm they probably suffered less than many did. She knew what hard work was and milked cows and collected eggs each morning before school.

When WWII began her oldest brother joined the Marines and the younger one joined the Navy. The family moved to California to be closer to where the brothers home base was and because there were jobs to be had in the manufacturing plants. Her mom & dad and older sister worked in an aircraft assembly plant. In 1943 at the age of 16, mom dropped out of high school to go to work to help the family. She was one of the millions of women who became "Rosie the riveter" working in a naval shipyard. She was a welder who installed armor around gun tubs. Her younger brother came home from the Navy with a purple heart and her older brother died on the beach at Okinawa. She met my dad, Don, when he came home from the Coast Guard and they were married in 1947 so they were together for 63 years.

In spite of the hardship and losses to her family, mom always instilled a sense of duty to country and patriotism in me. Starting when I was 10 years old she also made me go and work on her parents farm every Summer. Although I felt like slave labor at the time, I realize now it also taught me devotion to family, discipline to work hard, and the joy of making something with your own two hands. I'm sure it also gave her a break from me . I learned how to drive a tractor, plow fields, milk cows, feed the pigs and slaughter chickens. I also watched my grandmother put up the entire contents of her garden into mason jars, put potatoes in the root cellar and even watched her make bars of soap from lye and fat. Its amazing how self sufficient they were compared to the way we are today.

Thanks mom for having the wisdom to let me experience something like that. Thanks for being there on my first day of kindergarten, we both had tears in our eyes but we made it through didn't we? Thanks for the driving lessons and for taking me down to register for my draft card. Thanks for being there when I graduated from the academy and for not being too scared for all those years. Thanks for giving me a lot of love but not sparing the rod when I needed it. Thanks for imparting your down home wisdom and street smarts that have served me so well. Thanks for being the greatest mom anyone could ever want.

Sleep well mom, I will always love you and never forget you.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 09-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

Randy, I'm sorry to hear of your loss, and grateful that she went peacefully. I hope we can all be so lucky.

Mom's are the best. I'm not sure how I'll handle it when my mother goes, but its going to be tough.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and her.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 09-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

Very nice tribute to your Mom, Randy. I'm sad to hear of anyone's death but it sounds like her time had come and she had a good life. It's apparent that she meant much to you and the rest of your family I'm sure. I'm sure she was rewarded for her hard work and when she looked at you as a young boy and as a grown man she must have been proud.

Thanks for sharing a bit about her and know that we're all celebrating her life in our own ways on this day of her passing.

to your Mom.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:50 AM
Club Treasurer

That was beautiful Randy. My mom was similar in many ways to your mom. We are both very lucky to have had that sort of person raise us.

Unfortunately it seems to make the parting all the more difficult.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 09-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

Randy,

My condolences - thank you for sharing in this difficult time. I am happy to hear she is at peace now.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I'm sorry for your loss, Randy. She sounds like an amazing lady who lived a full life. I really enjoyed reading about her. Hearing about your grandmother making soap and canning a whole garden -- previous generations worked much harder than we do now. Now you can remember her in health rather than see her in sickness.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Well written, Randy. right on.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

Sorry for your loss Randy. She sounds like she was a great mother, and you have many fond memories of her time her on Earth.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 09-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Randy, sorry about your loss. Thank you for sharing a few words about your mom.

97 LX450
Old 09-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Beautifully written, Randy, thank you for sharing and my thoughts are definitely with you and your mom today.

www.gamiviti.com