Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Need info on Lasik surgery

I need to get lasik surgery but where do I go? Anybody who has had it? Who do you recommend? Any help is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 09-28-2010, 08:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Tina and I had ours done at Denver Eye Surgeons. We both had to have PRK. Hers went smoothly, but my right eye had issues. It didn't heal back correctly and were always dry. They couldn't figure out why. I just couldn't get proper vision back in that eye. Then after a year and a half it finally came back to an acceptable level.

Dr. Kumar was excellent for Tina. Dr. Stahl was just Ok for me. I think my lesson learned was how critical it is to follow the prescription drops to a T and keep them constantly lubed the first few weeks to prevent dryness during the critical healing stages.

There is another thread about all this. I remember Farr having a bunch of issues. But, I would still recommend it.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

Read Matt Farr's Blog on it...

I have good eyesight so maybe I can't talk... but Allison had it probably 6 years ago and is happy.
82 FJ40
Old 09-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I had it done in 2001. You can read all about my experience with Lasik here.

Nine years later, my eyesight is about 20/60 or so. I don't wear glasses at the office except for meetings where they are projecting Powerpoint slides. I do prefer to wear my glasses for driving, especially at night.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

I had it done by DR. Dishler. I have had several other friends also have him do the procedure and everyone was resoundingly happy.
TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube
Old 09-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

I got my "laser eyes" from the 20/20 Institute must be 3 years ago now. I love it. My sister had her eyes done there as well and is also happy.

My suggestion would be to go in for free consults to 2 or 3 places and see what/who you like best and feel the most comfortable with. Get different opions about the different options. If you decide to go forward with it, heed ALL of the post operative instructions to avoid unnecessary complications or problems. Some places include the meds/eye drops with the surgery, others make you go buy them yourself (20/20 included them). Follow the strict regimen about eye drops, not lifting stuff, wearing eye protection, not rubbing your eyes, using only sterile perservative free eye drops, etc. Sounds like a PITA but the payoff/benefit IMO is way worth it

The only issues I had were light sensitivity, halos at night (went away), my eyes seem to be a little slower to adjust to the transition from dark to light and vice versa, and dry eyes (although that problem existed before). Knowing what I know now I would do it again but the success rate still isn't 20/20 by any means. My sister-in-law got her eyes done (at a place that was less expensive than 20/20 after she compared pricing) and her eyesight is not 20/20, more like 20/40 or 20/60. Mine is 20/20 (even a little better actually) in both eyes
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 09-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Great info guys. I have been looking at 20/20 since they offer follow up work if your eyes go bad again. I will take the advice and go to three free consultations just to make sure I am doing the right thing.

I was not aware that there were options to think about???? Something like green to blue eyes or see thru walls option??? now that would nice

I'll let you guys know what I decide and if I have more questions. Any more info is appreciated so don't stop the posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 09-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I had it done by Dishler. The choice you need to make is if you want to see now or see later. It will move your eyesight so that you can see just fine far away but can't focus up close. I think we will see lots of people later in life needing glasses to see up close. I can focus at about 8" but I used to be able to focus at about 1". Monovision seems like a bad idea to me plus you can't see 3D movies. Oh and your eyes will be dry all the time, no way around that as far as I can tell. I just got used to it.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 09-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

i also had dishler. very pleased. i had dry eye before, so i was somewhat used to it. i use theratears gel at night and keep a bottle in my lunch box.
ige tlca #1431
Old 09-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

X ?? on the dry eyes. But I wouldn't trade it for anything! I had mine done in 2001 by some shady doctor at the AF Academy who "moonlighted" at one of the local eye shops. Probably wouldn't do that route again, but it was all I could afford at the time and there were about 10 other officers who did it before me with great results.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"