Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Photography Corner

Old 07-31-2015, 10:23 AM
Rising Sun Webmaster

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Default Buying a used Nikon?

I've been thinking about upgrading my photo setup. Since early 2009, I've been shooting a D200 -- got a great deal on the body, right around the time the D300 came out. But I'm thinking that maybe it's time to upgrade.

We have a D7200 at work, and I've been fairly amazed that it seems to take better photos than my D200. But I kind of think that if I'm going to buy a different camera, it might be time to go full frame.

One of the guys on the Kokopelli Run suggested that I look at buying a used D700 from eBay. I'm not sure about this. I'd hate to buy it and then have to send it in for repair. But I do think that a D700 would be a significant upgrade over what I have now, and there are bodies available for under $1K. A new 750 is almost $2K.

Anyone have experience buying used?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I've been thinking about upgrading my photo setup. Since early 2009, I've been shooting a D200 -- got a great deal on the body, right around the time the D300 came out. But I'm thinking that maybe it's time to upgrade.

We have a D7200 at work, and I've been fairly amazed that it seems to take better photos than my D200. But I kind of think that if I'm going to buy a different camera, it might be time to go full frame.

One of the guys on the Kokopelli Run suggested that I look at buying a used D700 from eBay. I'm not sure about this. I'd hate to buy it and then have to send it in for repair. But I do think that a D700 would be a significant upgrade over what I have now, and there are bodies available for under $1K. A new 750 is almost $2K.

Anyone have experience buying used?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I typically try not to by any used gear off eBay unless it's an old film camera. Mostly medium format. Have you looked at KEH? I don't know anything about Nikons but here's a D700.

I am consistently impressed with KEH's service and quality. The gear I've purchased from them always looks and performs like it has never been used. I can't recommend them enough.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

I've bought several Nikon related items from KEH, highly recommended and their grading is conservative.

No experience with D700, I still use the same FM3a as I have since 2002. If I was to buy a DLSR it would likely be something like a used D700 with a reasonably low shutter trip count. I like my Nikons to have round eyepieces, what can I say? The D700 seems plenty rugged and it's probably going to have been a backup for a pro or used by an amateur who wouldn't abuse a $2K body too much. If it's anything like the F100/F5 pair at least, where the "little" sister was for all practical purposes the same thing electronically and mechanically.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old Today, 12:48 AM
Rising Sun Webmaster

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by smslavin View Post
Have you looked at KEH? I don't know anything about Nikons but here's a D700.

I am consistently impressed with KEH's service and quality. The gear I've purchased from them always looks and performs like it has never been used. I can't recommend them enough.
Thanks, this is just what I needed to see. Buying from KEH looks like a much better bet than taking my chances on eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I like my Nikons to have round eyepieces, what can I say?
Does the round eyepiece make much of a difference? My D200 has the rounded trapezoid shape and it always seemed OK to me -- but I didn't know the other one existed. It's interesting that the round eyepiece was on the D700 but it's not on the D750 -- if you want it on a new Nikon, you have to pay an extra $1000 for the D810.

I stopped by Mike's Camera today to see the D750 in person. Wow, nice camera. It has built in wifi, so you can preview images on a computer or smart phone, which could potentially be useful. The tilt screen is really nice, too.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old Today, 05:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

The Nikons that had 100% view had round eyepieces, doesn't really mean anything. I'd just always dreamed of owning a Nikon with it. It's stupid really. I'm not sure what it is, but I got that FM3a and I thought finally, I'm getting somewhere and within a year Nikon stopped making it because everyone had gone digital. Story of my life, decades behind the curve I guess. I won't be buying a D700 or anything else for that matter any time soon. I've gone this long without a DSLR so it seems I don't miss having one. I've run 3 rolls of film this year so I'm apparently completely uninspired. Just haven't gone anywhere or done anything. It's sad really. I haven't even put gas in my motorcycle yet this summer.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old Today, 11:18 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Thanks, this is just what I needed to see. Buying from KEH looks like a much better bet than taking my chances on eBay.
They do service as well as buying used gear. So, when you're ready to upgrade, one stop shop.

Dave, nothing wrong with film. I'm a bit of luddite myself these days. Besides, the way I look at it, if digital happens to go poof, about 98% of current "pro" photographers won't have any idea how to continue working while I'll be happily working with my Hasselblad and Mamiya MF gear.
Old Today, 02:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default LOVE my d700

LOVE the d700...full frame is worth it. That said, if you can get something newer with some of the new features (video, wifi, etc) I'd go that route. There are times I wish I had the video capability on my dslr, if only so I didn't have to carry another device.

the round eyepiece on my d700 has a little door you can close so no light can sneak in if you are doing remote release shots without your face pressed up against the viewfinder. It IS brighter than my d300.