Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Photography Corner

Old 11-23-2014, 10:20 PM
Rising Sun member

Default Finally a DSLR owner

My wife's birthday is Wednesday. I've had a passive interest in photography since high school but never enough to save for a camera. My wife too is similar. So I've been noodling a canon rebel t3i or better for a while now.

So today I'm in Best Buy and decide to look at cameras. Mistake. They had a deal on a T5 that included a 18-55 lens and a 55-250 lens, tripod and bag for $600. Ended today. Pretty much an impulse buy so I'm not even sure what I bought. Going to learn about stuff quickly. Figured t3is still go for $350-$400 on c-list, the zoom lens was a $250 lens new and this way I get a newer (hopefully better) camera plus a couple gizmos for basically what that would cost to piece together. Plus one year warranty.

Y'all please tell me if I made a mistake. It was more than I really wanted to spend, but oh well.

Next will be to look for a nice portrait lens for my wife to take pics of our daughter. Recommendations?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-23-2014, 10:59 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Congrats! I don't know anything about Canons, but Perry can chime in with his knowledge.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:31 AM
Rising Sun member

Dang. Did some research last night and this morning, and not sure I would have chosen a T5 had I done the research.

Snapsort rated the T3i above the T5:
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EO...5-vs-Canon-T3i

They also said the Nikon D3200 and D3300, which I think are direct competitors, have better image quality, if that is something that can be objectively defined.

No glowing reviews here:
http://www.cnet.com/products/canon-eos-rebel-t5/

Ho-hum here as well:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/digital...bel-t5-review/

Maybe I should take it back
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 11-24-2014, 08:50 AM
Rising Sun member

Ah, so now I'm seeing a Nikon D3200 on sale for about $440 with an 18-55mm lens, tripod and bag...

Last edited by subzali; 11-24-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I bought the Nikon D7100 (only difference between the D7100 and D7000 is stereo sound). My old camera was the Fuji S3 Pro and I really liked it. The only reason I switched to Nikon was that it seemed to be the standard. Canon is as well but their other imaging products have been hell (scanner and printer that won't work with newer Windows OS) so I passed on the Canons.

If you buy a Nikon, the focus is a pain in the a$$ You will find that the camera thinks it is smarter than you so if it wants to focus on the wall, when you want a shot of the person standing in front of the wall, you lose.

You can override it but only in the manual modes. Full auto nets you a picture of the wall.

**edit** bad example... it knows faces? I think... people are always in focus. Other objects are hit or miss on what it wants to focus on.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 11-24-2014, 10:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

Tough call. It should be a solid performer - I shoot Canon and my setup is a dinosaur by many people's standards (same lenses as you got) - but if you are unsure and can return, then do it and buy one you can feel great about. Its a large purchase you have thought about for a long time and you deserve to feel great about it.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

There is a newer version Nikon 3300 that has a few more capabilities. Has me thinking now about getting a better Camera than my small compact one
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 11-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
Tough call. It should be a solid performer - I shoot Canon and my setup is a dinosaur by many people's standards (same lenses as you got) - but if you are unsure and can return, then do it and buy one you can feel great about. Its a large purchase you have thought about for a long time and you deserve to feel great about it.
That's good advice. I did touch a feel a little bit and it seemed like the Canon was a little more favorable from an operability point of view. But that was a long time ago. I'll try again tonight to make sure. The specs don't lie though, and the reviews are all more favorable to the Nikons in this price range. I will be satisfied with the D3200 for the money I'm willing to spend at this time to get into the hobby. Once I'm in I'll see where I want to go with it. Maybe some day I will want a $1000+ camera body, but until my wife and I get to using it and know for sure I/we like messing around with ISO settings and f-stops, I hate to spend that kind of money.

I spent a lot of money for my Yaesu FT-7800, but all I really know how to do on it is use 146.460 simplex. Shame.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have been looking at the Sony DSC-RX100 M1 , M2 and M3 since I read this post today. Looks like DSLR quality in a compact form, but can't swap lenses. Only posting here in case you want to look at those. Your wife might want something that fits in her purse

The M1 is in the same price range and doesn't seem from examples that the picture and video improvements to the M3 are that significant
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 11-24-2014, 04:01 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
I have been looking at the Sony DSC-RX100 M1 , M2 and M3 since I read this post today. Looks like DSLR quality in a compact form, but can't swap lenses. Only posting here in case you want to look at those. Your wife might want something that fits in her purse

The M1 is in the same price range and doesn't seem from examples that the picture and video improvements to the M3 are that significant
We have a Sony Cybershot that has been working for her for a while, but I think we're both ready to step up to DSLR. She might do ok with one of those Sonys, but I see myself geeking out on lenses and stuff. Her parents have one of those and yes it is nice but this has been on my dream list for quite some time.