Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Updates.

Most all parts are clean. The parts washer does a great job on exposed surfaces, but interior ones, like the intake manifold, require some cleaning here. The plenum is giving me fits. Due to the EGR system, there are baked on areas of grease, which is a PAIN to get off.

The rest of the stuff is clean for the most part.

Got the heads machined, and the fuel injectors cleaned up and balanced by witchhunter performance. 3 of the injectors were only flowing at 75 ish percent, due to grease, I assume. All 6 are balanced within 1% now.

Got the block cleaned, the pistons de-carboned, the valves de-carboned, and the very top of the cyinder walls de-carboned. I very carefully removed the cylinder wall carbon with a fine flat head screw driver, and brake cleaner. The rest was done with a combo of a rotory with scotch brite, and a brass wheel on a drill.

Then, put in the two heads, and the water pump. All was going AWESOME until the very last bit this evening.

One of the cam shaft bearing cap bolts pulled the threads. Then, my brother was working on installing the exhaust manifolds. One of the exhaust studs had to be removed at the machine shop. The shop was able to get it out, but it ruined the top few threads on the hole. He ran a tap down, and the threads below were good. Unfortunately, the stress of torquing down the exhaust nuts was enough to pull the remaining threads out of that too.

Sooo, passenger head comes back off for a heli-coil, and something. The bolt for the bearing cap I will either helicoil as well, or simply drill and tap up one size. I have to figure out which is better. Anyway, at least we didn't get farther than this, and tomorrow, my brother will pull the head while I'm at work.

Pictures:

The block all cleaned up:

Heads clean, machined, and de-carboned

Intake Manifold:

Heads on:

Driver side head with camshaft installed and ready to get buttoned up.

More to come this week hopefully.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 10-18-2010, 06:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

What did you have done to the heads and who did the work?

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 10-18-2010, 07:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

Mountain High Performance, and they removed the one exhaust stud, and took .008" off of the headgasket surface so the new gasket has a good surface to adhere to.

Generation Dead
Old 10-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks dudes.

Helicoils are in. Quite a slick little operation they are. Too bad they are completely thread specific, and for the two, it set my brother back 100 bucks. Ah well, if I ever need M10x1.25 or M8x1.25, I have a bunch of helicoils and nice sets to install them with now.

HeliCoils!

Yesterday we picked up a new headgasket for the RH side, and I got the head back on, the exhaust manifold on and torqued, and the camshaft in and torqued. Also got the seals in, and used FIPG to seal the end caps, and the plug on the rear of the head.

Also, over the weekend, got the new water pump, and thermostat in. Again, good layering of FIPG to keep things sealed up nicely.

Installed the new PCV valve last night, but it got late, and I didn't get the valve covers on yet. To be continued...LOL!

Generation Dead
Old 10-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

Dude - I don't know if it'll run, but it sure looks pretty! Nice job. You are soon going to be the master of the Toyota V6 head gasket job.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Dude - I don't know if it'll run, but it sure looks pretty! Nice job. You are soon going to be the master of the Toyota V6 head gasket job.
x2! :alexthemasterofhead:
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Looking great Isaac.. on Helicoils, fwiw we've got about every size of install tool smaller than that at the shop here. Things just don't get that big in plastics, I think the biggest I've got is M6, but we go down all the way to M2. On the English side from 2-56 all the way up to 1/4-20, stopping at all the common threads, we've got the taps, helicoils, and install tools for all of it.

Not that I want to get into loaning out tools, but I could likely helicoil something for someone, some day, if you strip something and can't just make it bigger.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Old 10-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Thanks man. No, not a master yet. This has already taken WAY longer than it should have. I'm just way OCD about this crap. It bugs me if it isn't just right. Maybe I can get a record for being the slowest to rebuild a top end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Har, har, har. Funny guy here, Funny guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Looking great Isaac.. on Helicoils, fwiw we've got about every size of install tool smaller than that at the shop here. Things just don't get that big in plastics, I think the biggest I've got is M6, but we go down all the way to M2. On the English side from 2-56 all the way up to 1/4-20, stopping at all the common threads, we've got the taps, helicoils, and install tools for all of it.

Not that I want to get into loaning out tools, but I could likely helicoil something for someone, some day, if you strip something and can't just make it bigger.
Great to know! Thanks for the tip! If anything else strips out, I'll let you know and see if you can get it done!

Generation Dead
Old 11-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Updates:

Its finally back together. First go around was bad news. It turns out that the heads are exact copies of each other, EXCEPT where the tensioner pulley bolts up. There is a hole on the other head, that is threaded correctly, but there isn't a spot machined out so the pulley can sit flush.

So...I pulled everything back apart. Switched the heads, and threw in new head gaskets, again. Buttoned everything up.

It runs.

Sorta.

It runs fine at higher RPM, but surges really bad at idle and low RPM. Either I have a vacuum clog/leak, or its the throttle position sensor. I pulled the TPS last night and threw the multimeter on it. The idle circuit seems to be having some issues, but it really needs to be tested on the truck.

Good thing I just picked up a fancy vacuum/brake bleed kit from craftsman so I can apply vacuum to the throttle body without the truck running.

Set the timing to 10deg BTDC with the diag hack, and after pulling the hack, it dropped to 8. At least the timing belt seems to be correctly installed.

The PAIR reed valve hose is cracked, so that is getting replaced. I also bypassed the VSV (vacuum switching valve) on the EGR, which helped some. I may be having some issues with that VSV.

Fun fun fun!

Generation Dead