Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Rock Stacker

Default I do not know what to do next.....Help

I pulled the gas tank, replaced every inch of rubber line with brand new. I bypassed the metal line to the fuel filter from the gas tank with brand new gates flexible line. Washed the tank put again.....nothing out of it, the supply nipple on the side of the gas tank is not restricted.....put it all together and cranked it up. Ran like a champ....gas right on the mark in the sight glass. I warmed up took it for a drive and at the same point it almost died....I feathered the gas and got it running but barley got it home. I do not know what to do at this point. Getting just over 8 ounces of gas at the carb for 15 seconds of starting. The only thing I have not replaced is the float.....please if anyone has any idea.......Help !!!

Thanks
Dwight
________
universal health

Last edited by Pdwight; 01-24-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

When you washed out your tank did you pull out the sending unit so you could look inside the tank? I'm wondering if there is a flexible line on the fuel pickup inside the tank that is collapsing or kinking?

Next, I would buy an inexpensive electric fuel pump and install it as close to the fuel tank as possible. You can jury rig a bypass to your mechanical fuel pump or leave it in the fuel circuit, it shouldn't make any difference. Check to see how much volume you get in that same 15 second period versus the stock pump.

If none of this works, try putting your weber carb back on and see what happens. If it runs out of fuel too you know its in the fuel system somewhere, if it runs OK you know the problem is in the OEM carb.

Did you ever hook up the return line from the OEM carb to the tank? I can't imagine that would cause your issue but were sort of grasping at straws now.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 10-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Omg

"When you washed out your tank did you pull out the sending unit so you could look inside the tank? I'm wondering if there is a flexible line on the fuel pickup inside the tank that is collapsing or kinking?"

I never thought about that, I just poured the gas through a cloth to check for particulates....this makes perfect sense.....does the gas tank have a flexible pickup line ??
________
Yamaha XV1000

Last edited by Pdwight; 01-24-2011 at 03:52 PM.