Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Buying a Tundra?

I am looking at buying a Tundra, I was wondering if anyone has an opinion (ha) on the truck. It will be a daily driver but I will want to do some modifications for off-roading. I figure the daily driver and pulling a camper behind it is no problem - but what about off-roading?? Would I need major modifications, or just minor. I do not do major off-roading, just things like Elephant Hill, Fins & Things, Poison Spider, etc.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

What year tundra? I really like my parents '02. Good power, rides really nice. I think there have been issues on some of the early ones with planetary gear failure in the tranny. Not sure how wide spread the issue is.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Rising Sun Member

Looking at buying a new one.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Well there are lift kits from some of the major players out there to make the truck sit up higher. Depending on the model, you can have a shorter wheel base, but I believe it still would have a longer WB than a 80 or 100 series. they are a big truck(wide) Handle well, have good power with the 4.6, and 5.7 is a monster. Several compaines may shells for the bed area, and these trucks have great payload ability.
One of the trail team guys (Ron Q) bought a new one and made it in to a chase truck for off road events( like the Baja 500 and 1000). He used Sway a way products to fix his truck up. As with most all modern vehicles, it seems like the more we modify them, and lift them and put bigger tires on them, they lose fuel economy. It all seems to be a trade off.
Brain, you may want to fill in some blanks more. Like how big a lift? How big a tire? what kind a accessories do you want to put on it? I hear Moab/ Utah is your interest you stated, what other places do you want to travel?
What do you want to put in the bed area? are you interested in a 4 door, crew cab, access cab? The only thing I do not think has been address(aftermarket yet) is a extra fuel tank. I do wish toyota would wake up here and offer a extra tank option from the factory on the Taco's and Tundra?
Old 10-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Hey Brian,

I love my 07 Tundra. 5.7 6 speed auto. I have the double cab it's about 18' long with a wheel base of 146" and wide, big truck. It's hard enough to park I could not imagine tight spots on the trail. With that said I would put a 6" lift and 35" tires, sliders and armor. Break over will be an issue and 20 point turns on the trail will be the norm.

I say if it's what you want to do then go for it!

You are more than welcome to take a look at my truck.

97 LX450
Old 10-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

I am looking at a access cab 5.7 engine. I would like to lift it as little as possibe with 33" tires, and then replace the bumpers and add sliders. Nothing in the bed. I am done with the serious off-roading, but would still like to do things like triple bypass, and Ouray, and then besides Moab, I also like to hit Mosquito pass, Georgia and others throughout Colorado. In the past I have had an FJ40, FJ60 and the 80 series for off-roading. I realize this truck is larger, with the break over and turning radius not as good.

This truck would replace my dually and FJ60 (for sale soon). It would pull a camper while traveling and where it would be nice to use off-roading.

I have been hearing that the front end and steering might be weak for off-roading. Has anyone heard about this or had any problems?

Thanks for your comments everyone.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:58 AM
Rising Sun member

Wow - that's a behemoth. If you read John Henley's opinion of his T100 on the Triple Bypass here:
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/s...t=13778&page=2

It seems like he made it through okay but not without some very careful driving. I took my 2000 Tundra down to New Mexico for a few months and took it on some mild-moderate forest service roads and came out okay, but not without some pinstriping. But the newer body styles are significantly larger than either a T100 or a 1st gen Tundra. With the rear overhang and the long wheelbase, not to mention the width, I would think that anything much more difficult than say Mosquito Pass or Argentine Pass you'd be looking at paint damage, body damage, or hairy situations due to (lack of) turning ability or just track width on a narrow ledge. Would a new Tundra even fit in that narrow rocky section of Elephant Hill? Not without some sweaty palms I imagine...

I think you're falling right in between your FJ60 and your dually, but I don't know...

...maybe the guys over at tundrasolutions.com would have some experience/pictures of their 2nd gen Tundras in action on the trail!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

I will put it this way - I won't be wheeling this truck on anything higher than a colorado rated 5/6. period

I couldn't imagine a new tundra.

john (johnny) henley