Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Where to buy snow chains?

Seeing the recent thread on using snow chains got me thinking. For those of us new to the 80 world, any recomendations on where to buy snow chains?

Seems like most people are getting one of three brands:

Tirechain.com
RUD
Laclede

I've seen mixed reviews about ordering from Tirechain. I wasn't able to find anything promising for ordering the other two brands? The RUD online store site was not either working or giving me the wrong site (not in english) and I didn't see a reseller link or anything.

Anyone have any first hand experience on these brands and/or where to buy? Any local dealers? If I go with the tire chains total would be aprox 200 w/ shipping for the 5.5mm Square Straight Link with cams. (use will be on road use when the snow tires don't cut it and emergency off road use)
Old 10-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I have bought from tirechain.com and thought they were fine.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have purchased the v-bar style chains (the naasssty ones) from Peerless Tyre Co. They were $60/set several years ago. They are now Chinese made, and I wasted one on my FZJ (with open diffs) while trying to tow a 6000# stuck plow truck backwards uphill on ice. The chain cross sections peeled loose from the side chains and (of course) lightly flailed the fender flares on my FZJ. I bent them back and welded them on. I think this would be considered extreme duty use, but I wanted to pass along what can happen. I keep 6 chains in any truck with chains so that if you lose one or break one, you have spares. I think the ones sold by Peerless are of equal quality to whatever else is out there.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

If you are an over-the-road truck driver and put a bazillion miles on your tires chain every winter then get the best.

Personally, I have bought the least expensive ones I could find including the brands that Wal-Mart sells. They work just fine. I am speaking from 30 years of experience driving company 4x4's to remote mountain top radio sites year round in both deep mud and snow using these chains. It was not uncommon for me to use the chains 10-12 times per winter. I got a new 4x4 every 2-3 years and usually differences in tire sizes meant I replaced the chains with each new vehicle. I ended up using chains more in 1 season than the average person probably does in 10 years. Keep in mind these things will end up riding around in the back of your rig for 99.999% of their life.

In my experience there is only a slight difference between standard chains and the v-bar chains as far as performance on ice, no difference at all in deep snow. I wouldn't pay a lot extra to get them. The v-bar chains are also more prone to breaking cross links on rocks so they are best for on-road use.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 10-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Stop at the Georgetown rest stop and at the top of Eisenhower tunnel after the first snowstorm that requires chains on the pass. You will probably find a pile of chains, (often unbroken, brand new ones) that you can cut down for your use. It seems like people chain up their brand new chains for the first time in their life, leave them too loose, then the chains get thrown off halfway up the hill. Someone picks them up and leaves them in the pile for the next guy. (I've done it.)
Old 10-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

I agree with Randy that no need to spend super big bucks on something, but I would spend the money on chains with cam tighteners. I have a set of the regular medium-duty 9/32" twisted link truck chains from tirechain.com, no complaints. I use the rubber circle tensioners or rubber bungie cords.

And yup, Rude, all the chain up/down stations are awesome sources for extra cross links... :-)

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 10-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
Stop at the Georgetown rest stop and at the top of Eisenhower tunnel after the first snowstorm that requires chains on the pass. You will probably find a pile of chains, (often unbroken, brand new ones) that you can cut down for your use. It seems like people chain up their brand new chains for the first time in their life, leave them too loose, then the chains get thrown off halfway up the hill. Someone picks them up and leaves them in the pile for the next guy. (I've done it.)
That's exactly where I got all the material to build all the chains I've built. I've done 6 sets (a set is a pair) of 31x10.50 and 2 sets of 33x10.50, plus had some left over for friends. Just a few hours of time, pretty burly chains for our use.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post

Haha that's awesome. Never would have thought of that. I might have to check that out next time I'm out that direction.

I think in the interim I may just order some sets from tirechain.com. Seems like a few folks on here have had good luck with them. ( I was a bit nervous after some of the reviews on the web and mud were really split between good and bad.)

I completely agree I won't use these often enough to need the really good ones. For most winter driving my dedicated snow's will be more than enough. The 5.5 alloy square link on tirechain.com are the cheapest on there, and come with cams. It would be 200 total for all 4 wheels inc. shipping. I may check wallmart before I order just to see what they have in stock though.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Hard Core 4+

I got mine from Tirechain.com I ended up with the square alloy cross chains as they offer a size that fit my 295/75r16 tires and will now work with my 315's as well as full size 35" tires. I did not want to re-invest into another set. http://www.tirechain.com/square_alloy_cross_chain.htm

I only had to use them a handful of times last winter. Worked great. No issues with purchase transaction.

I've also owned a few sets of Wal-Mart chains for different vehicles. Never had any issues there either. But I like my tirechain ones the better because they have multiple cam locks for tightening them up.

My first choice would be the RUD chains but 295's and 315's did not share the same size chain.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 10-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Cool good feedback! Strangley enough it seems the 285 size also works for 315's. Not that I have plans to go to a larger tire, but I guess nice that it fits that size.

I'll probably be ordering those same square link ones. Forecasting 8-10 inches above 9k today/tonight!!