Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 10-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Corbet's Avatar
Corbet Corbet is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Durango, Colorado
Posts: 3,973
Default

Yes, I think mine fit 285's too. We always say we'll never get bigger tires
__________________
Speski OffRoad LTD, Cargo Solutions for Toyota 4x4's http://www.SpeskiOffRoad.com
"80 series, with a fridge"
1976 FJ40, Project with little progress.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-22-2010, 01:08 PM
TIMZTOY's Avatar
TIMZTOY TIMZTOY is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,887
Default

If someones up around the tunnel area and spots a pile, I need a set for 35-12.5/15 so most big rig chains should fit after some mod's
__________________
TLCA # 20314
84 Hilux, 22re Conversion, 63" chevy rears, Rears up front, Bobbed bed, duel e-lockers, 5.29's, 35" Ground Hogs low compression
Step by Step Bed Bob
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-22-2010, 03:15 PM
subzali's Avatar
subzali subzali is offline
Rising Sun member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 7,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
If someones up around the tunnel area and spots a pile, I need a set for 35-12.5/15 so most big rig chains should fit after some mod's
For that length Tim, you'll probably need to add length and/or width to big rig chains. The largest size I've gotten from those chains is 33x10.50, and I was wondering if 33x12.50 was even possible, seems like I had just a hair bit of length left to play with but the width was getting pretty maxed out...just fyi
__________________
Matt Miller
TLCA# 13684
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Woodsman's Avatar
Woodsman Woodsman is offline
Trail Ready
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Batesville, Indiana
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I have bought from tirechain.com and thought they were fine.
x2 They're fine but make sure and try them on for size before running off into nowhere land. I had to exchange a set which wouldn't fit the 265/70/17s on my pickup truck.
__________________
- - - - - - - - -
08 FJ Cruiser with a few mods
TLCA#19287 -Since 12/08
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Rock Dog Rock Dog is offline
Cruise Moab Committee
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: in a house
Posts: 1,078
Default

I am still running with the 2 sets i got from 4Wheel parts years ago.. they had them in piles (one chain per canvas bag)on sale in Oct... (can't remember which year) they fit 33 and 35x12.50 tires. i have only used them off road, and they are heavy as heck to carry around. But when you need them they are awsome....
__________________
1996 - FZJ80 (supercharged)
1985 - 4Runner (Squeaky Toy)
1976 - FJ40
KD0EXO
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-22-2010, 08:42 PM
TIMZTOY's Avatar
TIMZTOY TIMZTOY is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
For that length Tim, you'll probably need to add length and/or width to big rig chains. The largest size I've gotten from those chains is 33x10.50, and I was wondering if 33x12.50 was even possible, seems like I had just a hair bit of length left to play with but the width was getting pretty maxed out...just fyi
so.... not worth it, and just forget it ? or good luck ?
__________________
TLCA # 20314
84 Hilux, 22re Conversion, 63" chevy rears, Rears up front, Bobbed bed, duel e-lockers, 5.29's, 35" Ground Hogs low compression
Step by Step Bed Bob
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-22-2010, 10:40 PM
subzali's Avatar
subzali subzali is offline
Rising Sun member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 7,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
so.... not worth it, and just forget it ? or good luck ?
I wouldn't write it off until you try it. You have more skills than I do so maybe you'll make it work. I'm just sayin' that it may not give you what you want. Anything is worth a try though, and if you're gonna save $200+ by giving it a shot then why not?
__________________
Matt Miller
TLCA# 13684
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-23-2010, 07:04 AM
Woodsman's Avatar
Woodsman Woodsman is offline
Trail Ready
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Batesville, Indiana
Posts: 314
Default

Chains can make a ridiculous difference. On a trip in southern Indiana several years ago with everyone in fullsize pickups, I witnessed my cousin in a 2wd Dodge 1500 with chains go up a slick, rock strewn hillside trail that nobody else could make it up in 4wd without chains. He just walked right up it.
__________________
- - - - - - - - -
08 FJ Cruiser with a few mods
TLCA#19287 -Since 12/08
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-23-2010, 03:27 PM
TIMZTOY's Avatar
TIMZTOY TIMZTOY is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I wouldn't write it off until you try it. You have more skills than I do so maybe you'll make it work. I'm just sayin' that it may not give you what you want. Anything is worth a try though, and if you're gonna save $200+ by giving it a shot then why not?
well im never in the mountains, so if someone is passing a chain up spot could then stop and take a look for large chain set ? please
__________________
TLCA # 20314
84 Hilux, 22re Conversion, 63" chevy rears, Rears up front, Bobbed bed, duel e-lockers, 5.29's, 35" Ground Hogs low compression
Step by Step Bed Bob
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Uncle Ben's Avatar
Uncle Ben Uncle Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 13,149
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
Chains can make a ridiculous difference. On a trip in southern Indiana several years ago with everyone in fullsize pickups, I witnessed my cousin in a 2wd Dodge 1500 with chains go up a slick, rock strewn hillside trail that nobody else could make it up in 4wd without chains. He just walked right up it.
And I have little doubt he tore the hill up like scarafiers on a D-9!
__________________
KUBN
Kevin
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.