Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
And I have little doubt he tore the hill up like scarafiers on a D-9!
Actually, NO. The Indiana hills have nice round rocks that are exposed when the soil is eroded away and they're nice and slick when wet, as they were on this particular day. He just literally walked up the hill with virtually no spinning while everyone else was spinning all four on the slick rocks and sliding sideways and backwards.
TLCA#19287 -Since 12/08
Old 03-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Just following up on the thread. Got my tire chains today from tirechain.com. No problems with the order but I called them up directly instead of using the web. A bit over 200 for a vehicles worth of 285/75/16 5.5mm Square Straight Link.

Overall decent quality. Came in a cloth bag with a plastic bag liner. Picked up a set of 20 rubber bungees from harbor freight as it was cheaper than getting the tensioners.

Only thing of note is that on a 285 this size of chain is just a hair bit too big. It has to be adjusted all the way down to fit. The directions do say how you can use a chisel to pop out one horizontal link and shorten it up.

You can barely see how it has to be adjusted to the minimum. I'll probably move the one horizontal section back one link at some point. Test fitting is much easier with a separate tire
Old 03-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

I think that's the same size chain I have that will work all the way up to a 315. Mine are a bitch to get on a 315. They went on easy with the 295's by the way. That must be their sweet spot.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Rising Sun member

I have a tool that makes moving that horizontal bar back a link really easy. I could bring it to the next meeting and we could have all 4 done in 10-15 minutes.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

FYI

http://tirechain.com/tire_chainmount...structions.htm

1. Lay chains out flat, remove all tangles. When chains are placed on tire, cross chain hook eyes must face up. Damage to your tires could result if hooks face against tire.

Name:  ladder02.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  3.4 KB
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 03-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I have a tool that makes moving that horizontal bar back a link really easy. I could bring it to the next meeting and we could have all 4 done in 10-15 minutes.
Awesome, thanks. I might take you up on that. If I end up using them on my trip next week I'll see how they work. My guess is I'll have to shorten them anyway as the tire wears down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
FYI

http://tirechain.com/tire_chainmount...structions.htm

1. Lay chains out flat, remove all tangles. When chains are placed on tire, cross chain hook eyes must face up. Damage to your tires could result if hooks face against tire.
I was wondering if someone was going to notice that. I saw that as I was reading through the instructions on how to shorten them. Thanks for catching it; its definitily not something I'd want to get backwards on the trail in the middle of the maze!